When Is Best Time To Remove Cervix Stitch And Any Symptoms To Consider??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Daffodil13, May 10, 2017.

1. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi All ILiets,

I need some suggestion from you all. Especially from ladies who had undergone Cervix stitch (cervical cerclage) or others who have idea about it.

I had gone through emergency cerclage at 20 weeks and now currently I am in 30 weeks. During my last Doc visit, Doc said that she will remove my stitch once I complete 36 weeks. And suggested that she will send me back home and will wait for normal delivery to happen (i mean normal pains to start). I am pretty fine with it...

But then she told twice or thrice during our discussion that she doesn't want the water to break or labor pains to start with cervix stitch in. And also she doesn't want the cervix stitch to rupture by itself. She says its the worst thing that can happen to me. After hearing this, I am so worried...:(. I understand it happens very rare.

Ladies, by which week the cervix stitch has been removed to you? And have you gone back home after removal of stitch or admitted same day in hospital for delivery?
    For any one, did you experience any water break or labor pains before removal of stitch and Does it really have any impact on baby?

Any symptoms to be observed and notified to Doc immediately, to avoid cervix stitch breakup by itself ?
    I know, I am getting little paranoid for silly things but wanted to be aware of it and keep information handy so that I can take steps accordingly if incase situation arises..

I am hoping & wishing that I successfully reach 36 weeks and get the stitch removed safely...:)

2. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Daffodil13 - Go by the docs judgement. 36 weeks is standard for removal of cerclage. I think you should be fine till then. It should hold with no issues. Even if you go into labor with the cerclage in, they will quickly get you into the hospital and remove it before you proceed to full blown labor. It takes many hours for anything to happen to the cervix. I went into labor with the cerclage. I was in labor for 24 hrs and my cervix opened even with the cerclage. My son was ok but my cervix got damaged from it. They didn't remove the cerclage right away because they were trying to stop labor and keep him in longer. Since I'm not intending to get pregnant again I really didn't bother about the damage to the cervix. My son wasn't impacted by going into labor with the cerclage in place.

Hth,
    L

sindmani and Daffodil13 like this.
  4. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much laks09. Yes, even I am hoping to hold till 36 weeks. Just that I am curious to know the worse outcomes as my doc stressed on this multiple times. Good that baby would be fine even if worse happens. does damage of cervix does anything else to our body? I mean except that it affects next chance of getting pregnant, does this will have any other side effects on body?

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Daffodil,
    Good that you have crossed 30 weeks mark. Another few weeks to go for your baby to reach full term.
    I had my cerclage by 24 weeks and by 34+ weeks water started to leak. It didn't damage cervix stitch and I had c section followed by it . With my second pregnancy I didn't need cerclage and I had a normal delivery too.
    Except preterm baby feeling, my first baby is OK. Not much side effects.

You should continue your current works until the cerclage removal. Then don't over strain. Baby will attain maturity as long as its in womb. Give it enough time in womb.
    Do little walking after completion of full term.

6. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

Thanks dear. Hope you & your LO are doing good. Good to hear that with your second pregnancy, you dont have to go thru cerclage..a great relief.

This is my second pregnancy and its more worse & scary in all terms than first one.

I just stepped to 32 week yesterday and completed my growth scan. Baby is all doing good except that my Cervix length has reduced further down and measuring 1.3 cms now. Doc suggested me to be very careful for another 2 weeks at least to reach 34 weeks. Continuing bed rest for another 2 weeks. Rest all going good.

7. Vasumathy

Few more weeks to go daffodil. Hang in there. Rest well. Hold on till 36 weeks. Hope your baby will cooperate you in this mission. All the best dear. Try to be bold and strong.

We are good. Even after cerclage with my pregnancy, I didn't bother much. I walked a little at least. I was like nothing wrong will happen. Water broke by 34+ and still I was OK and ready to face anything. Things will fall in place ma. Don't worry.

Daffodil13 likes this.
  8. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks vasumathy for your reassuring words...yep I will take rest and hoping to hold on till 36 weeks.

You are great to be so strong during ur first pregnancy. I wish to be like that but that's not happening..:cry:
    During my first pregnancy, even though I had cerclage I was less worried as I didn't have any pain, discharge etc..and not sure I was pretty good that time. But this pregnancy, I am getting paranoid for every possible thing...4 more weeks and I am done with it...:disrelieved:

Thanks so much again dear...:blush:

9. Vasumathy

You will be OK. Another month to reach safe zone. Try to relax as much as u could.. Try to spend sometimes in comic stuffs or with kids play. That might change your mood. Take care.