1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When History Repeats.....

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SGBV, Oct 9, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am not sure whether to interfere in this matter or not.
    Part of me suggests that I should take active part in solving this problem, since I have first hand experience similar to this mess. I feel, it is best to interfere and help before a disaster happens.
    However, the other part of me warns that it is not my business, and I should better stay out of it.
    So, I am here looking for your expert opinions on this matter.

This is about my BIL and co-sis.
    They are younger to us, and married only for ~4 years. They are yet to become parents, and that itself a problem already in their life.
    It was an arranged marriage, and co-sis is MIL's cousin's DD.

The issue:
    During the marriage arrangements, there was an open talk about dowry.
    Co-sis was previously engaged to another guy from their native; thus her parents started to build a house in that place in order to gift it as a dowry around her marriage. However, their engagement was called off due to some issues; thus the construction was also stopped.
    After a year, BIL came forward to marry her. Since BIL has no business in that city where the house was partly build, they requested a house in the city where everyone lives - which is a metro city.
    But it is very costly to own a house here, co-sis's parents rejected this idea right away and opted for alternate arrangements. During the talks, PILs were not open and most of the demands were put on hold or awaited for a later discussion it seems. There were many common family members involved in this marriage discussion.
    Since they are relatives anyway, they went on to marry.

Immediately after marriage, BIL suggested co-sis's family to complete the house in the other city, which twas partly build before. Upon completion, he insisted they write off the house to co-sis.
    A few weeks after, BIL suggested moving to co-sis's parents' house on the pretext of expired rental agreement of his (then)house. And eventually he said he is uncomfortable to stay with his in laws. Thus PILs suggested co-sis's parents to move out to their native, where they have build a house for co-sis as dowry.
    To avoid conflict in the new couple's life, co-sis's parents moved out. But her dad became ill, and needed a bypass surgery immediately. None of their children were living in that city; thus it became difficult for everyone to attend to that emergency.
    As suggested by many, they moved back to their original home and suggested BIL& co-sis can have separate cooking arrangements if their stay disturbs them.
    But BIL was unhappy and moved out of that house and didn't take any effort to welcome co-sis to live with him.
    Due to this, her parents rented off a house for the couple, and paid advance money for 1 yr.
    BIL & co-sis happily lived in that house, until the rental agreement expired.

Now that BIL requested her to pack her stuff and go back to her parents' place as he doesn't afford to rent another house right now.
    Co-sis and family suggested BIL to join them in their house, as it is very big. But BIL says, unless they write off this house to his or his wife's name, he can't live there.
    Also, he temporarily suggests co-sis's parents to move out of this house, so that he can join his wife. This time co-sis & family refused this, and did not enter into any kind of talking in this regard.

PILs and BIL are unhappy that co-sis is not working, and completely depend on him for everything. They criticize her cooking and house keeping skills, as though she is a burden on him. Her infertility (not sure who has problems) is highly bashed.
    They wouldn't have married her unless there was no hope about this city house. PILs & BIL considered the house in the native as a bonus.
    Now that, they regret their decision to marry a stay at home wife for such a simple dowry, that too inaccessible as and when they need it.
    Besides, they are afraid of the upcoming expenses such as fertility treatments, child birth, school etc with one income, and think a lot about how to correct their mistake (of marrying co-sis).

Besides, they criticize co-sis parents for not letting the new couple live happily by giving their city house.
    Now that they urge co-sis to sell her dowry house, so that they can have some money in FD - which could be used as key money whenever they are in need of new rental house. Also, PILs hope co-sis could cover up her own expenses using that bank interest. With this, they basically hint them that BIL is not ready to treat co-sis's fertility issues (if any). They haven't considered any treatment process for now.

Co-sis & family thinks PILs are after money. They are afraid to sell the only asset they have in co-sis name and give the money to BIL. Looks like BIL will give the money to his dad, and the rest is known to all.
    Co-sis tries for a job, but with this gap, she may not secure a good post. Her parents' city house may be shared among her other siblings too. So, they can't have any hope on this house.

As of now, BIL and co-sis are separated and not in touch with each other over a month. BIL threaten D word, and say he plans to become as a PG in some men's accommodation near his work place. In that case, he threatens, he will never live with co-sis again.
    He visits PIL every other day, and they all discuss on this matter very deeply. Apparently, MIL has invited co-sis's parents for a meeting in this regard, but they have turned down this invitation.
    They say, they are ready to discuss these matters before a 3 person/probably a family member. To which PILs said NO, citing MIL's health problems.

Co-sis speak to me almost daily in this regard, and her stand is very clear as I said above.
    BIL & my H discuss this often, and my H suggests that I should stay away from this matter.

I feel like giving co-sis some moral support and suggestions from my experience and that of others like you all.
    But I also don't wanna spoil the soup with my interference. What you all say????

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

So basically your bil is threatening them to pay up to stay married or he will leave her. In that case, your co sis's family is right, it does look like your bil n pils are after their money.

They either want the city house or the money from the other house. Your Sil will never see that money once she gets it. They will give one reason or another or stage an emergency or threaten her more with divorce n will snatch it from her. Because they seem obsessed with it.

I can imagine this kinda behavior from the pils. But it is weird that your bil is behaving like this too. In a traditional, orthodox marriage (considering the whole dowry situation, it does seem like it), shouldn't he be the provider for his wife ?

Why did he even get married if he can't afford to put a roof over his wife's head ? Did he get married thinking that he will be spoon fed all his life by his wife n pils ? So now it's a house, rent or otherwise, n FD, then it will be the fertility thing, then pregnancy, delivery, child care, their functions, school, college, marriage - is he gona continue to expect her parents to keep doing his job ?

Do you think it will really end once this house or FD issue is sorted ? Will they really stop asking for more money or stuff from her n her parents any more n live happily ever after ?

What she's going through is not right and your bil is behaving like a spoiled brat.

If it was me, I would support this co-sis to stand up for herself. Encourage her to get a job n not get scared of the word divorce. Many has started using it in order to get the other one to bow down to them. Your co sis n her family has kept trying to fix this situation so it's not like they didn't try.

You can also give her a few suggestions that can help sort this out amicably like probably getting a house for lease (no rent, longer agreements). Or buy a small flat on her name in an area affordable from that dowry house money. Or rent that dowry house n use the rent to rent a house here. If house is the only issue, these r some practical solutions.

But at the end of the day, Your bil needs to start behaving like a responsible husband first. Once they build the trust mutually n build a good relationship, any wife will give everything for her own family, he need not even ask. But if he continues to behave like a greedy shark, the greed will never end n no one is going to be happy, ever.

3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Slap your BIL if you can ! please!

lazy, n2n, Sunshine04 and 11 others like this.
  4. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you. Men like this who think PILs and wives are money lending machines should not get married.

Ammu2886, sindmani, SGBV and 3 others like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You are into social welfare. Isn't there some law which can put your inlaws and the shameless rat of a bil in jail?

I think this co sister should divorce this beggar of a husband. He wants house,rent,fertility money ...what else in the future?
    School fees,uniform ,food money?

She will be better off cutting her losses from this jerk .
    She should pick up whatever job she can get for now and stay with her parents.

lazy, guesshoo, Sunshine04 and 5 others like this.
  6. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

You jus put down each word from my thoughts, everything that was running by me when I was reading the post!

@SGBV
    It is a tricky situation, choosing between the right thing to do & standing by DH's words.

But everything that your PIL & BIL are not doing is just not acceptable. If I were you, I would surely provide some support to co-sis in handling the situation. You have been thru so much coz your PIL over these years and you surely know what can make things slightly different for her. She has been married for lesser time & your experience might just be what she needs at this time. In this forum we all pour our hearts out because we all have different experiences and it has always (mostly, at least with me) helped others manage their crisis.

Your words can strengthen her & provide the courage to save this marriage as well as get her DH to be man enough to accept his responsibility as a husband.

At the same time be considerate of your husband's words & play safe.

My prayers for your co-sis & good luck to you!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    NeetaR, sindmani, SGBV and 1 other person like this.
  7. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

I wonder what is the role of BIL in this marriage when everything has to be taken care by the girl's parents?

I think he only deserves to be in PG, when he can't afford a 1 bedroom apartment for rent!

You can't directly advice your sil to get divorce but please ask her to get a job and be with her parents. The greediness never going to end from your PIL's side. She is better off with this statue husband (no feelings, no care nothing. What else it is?)

SGBV, Benitapaul and yellowmango like this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

If there are SMS or emails from the BIL to the co-sister or her family members, that could form compelling evidence to send the whole lot of them into legal jeopardy. 498A is unbailable arrest as well.
    OP should advise hubby to stay well out of the fracas; otherwise these two would also get pulled into the dragnet.

sindmani, SGBV and GoneGirl like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

That is the dowry law in India.
    Op and her inlaws are in Sri Lanka.

sindmani, SGBV and Nonya like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Provide a sympathetic ear to co-sis. Keep your comments and reaction to her minimal. Don't say anything that you wouldn't wish reported to your in-laws.

Listen to your husband's advice to stay away from the mater. But no need to totally cut off the co-sis while he continues to talk about it with his brother.

So, be there for the co-sis but not at the cost of peace in your life. She has sufficient support from her family and is not totally alone. And above all, remember, she is related to your MIL. She is "family" in a way that you will never be.

guesshoo, Amica, NeetaR and 3 others like this.