1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When All That Glitters Is Gold

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I found shopping for others, with others to be more fun. Somehow, deciding on something so expensive was stressful for myself. And, I used to keep asking those with me, "do you like this.... what do you think of it.." and of course all cannot agree on one design easily...

Thyagarajan and sindmani like this.
  2. Rihana

: )

It happens the other way too. A visiting relative from des went with me to an Indian store in the U.S. I had a baby in a car seat. It was convenient to lug the sleeping baby in the car seat. Shop mistook my relative for a nanny!

Amica and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Rihana

So true. : )

Thank you, Ma'am, for a response that was fascinating to read. Even "gold" is not happy with its station in life! It was nice to read the story and about kundumani.

4. Rihana

I remember the paper receipt. It was more a formality as somehow the shop guy remembered the order and all the specifications set forth. Come to think of it, there was a lot of trust placed by customers.

Thank you for the response, Viswa.

5. Rihana

I shopped similarly for my year old DD. I didn't tell the shop guy I wanted the nose studs to use as ear studs. So, we wasted some time till I realized that there were some nose studs that were one piece only available. : )

People watching in gold shop can be intriguing. I like to guess the relationship between women who come by. Are they sisters, co-sisters, friends, cousins. And MIL-DIL or mother-DD or aunts with younger charges. And of course, the expressions on the faces of the menfolk with them.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Rihana

The 1gm gold thing is something I feel bad for having missed. It was not around when I was more interested in new jewelry. I like the pieces my cousins show me - I can't tell the difference between those and more expensive gold.

I was once wearing a chain with a small pendant. An "aunt" admired it, then, she lifted it and examined it, even as it lay around my neck. : ) I later understood she was checking if it was 1 gm gold. : ) I don't know if I disappointed her or not.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Tanisq, a Tata Enterprise, is one of the most reliable stores in India. The making charges, however, are quite high, above 20%.
    As for krishna...something, years back, there was a very popular gold jewelry shop on Elgin Road, Kolkatta, named Lakhi Babu Ki Sone Ki Dukan. As time passed, there was division in the family. Three brothers had shops side by side. The signboards made everyone laugh.
    1. Lakhi Babu Ki Asali (Pure)Sone Ki Dukan.
    2. Asali Lakhi Babu Ki Sone Ki Dukan.
    3. Lakhi Babu Ke Asali Ladke Ki Sone Ki Dukan.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:குன்துமணி பிரம்மா கதை ஸுகமாக இருந்தது. (Kundumani brahma anecdote is quite a delight). Anend Other parts of your response to the thread it must be said it is the experience of many but are they conscious about it.
    2. Between two and half past two IST. Corresponding to 10 O’clock opening of LONDON METAL EXCHANGE announce the gold price in ounce measure and so the daily gold ornament and sovereign bars rate varies in India too. 22/24 = 0.914 as such 914 gold means it is only 22 carat gold but actual copper and gold ratio in ornament gold varies and even 18 or 19 karat easily passed off as 22 karat.
    3. Street end goldsmiths known to first establish or earn goodwill and after few years they used to vanish with customers gold - old jewels.
    Thanks and Regards.
    Happy Pongal.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Sorry to butt in again here sisters and madam sisters. Once my sister in law visited our home in Chennai in hot summer unannounced on a Friday around 9 in the morning and desired that we join her shopping diamond jewellery. My spouse suggested that next day being Ammavasya, it would be ideal and more auspicious and added further that Waxing moon days are considered good for activities connected with growth, including nuptial, conceiving, construction, marriage, initiation, Greha prevaysham .....buying assets, high valued items.
    As SIL had come from Thailand on short holiday and tight itinerary she said she had no other day available. Eventually, it was decided to go for the purchase on the same day after noon. As SIL had arrived embellished like the deities in temples and the day was quite humid and hot, she felt uncomfortable and so my spouse suggested to her to switch over to home clothes. Both sisters were look alikes! I had my own discomforts on account of this. Be as it may.
    It was unwritten rule that to command huge welcome and display of entire Range of their designs - be it jewellery or sarees - visit to the emporia for high valued items, ladies ought to wear great deal of jewellery and clad in silk saree mildly perfumed . My spouse accordingly dressed up for this occasion and insisted that I wear clothes chosen by her. All three of us ready when my spouse said it is better to take along our daughter too on the way from school so that our team will be EVEN. It was decided not to discuss in taxi or in public about our intent .
    We boarded the ambassador taxi - reached a particular shop in T Nagar at a time when auspicious or good hour falls in a range for the day.
    As soon as we stepped in, Four men converged us with a very broad smile and SIL broke the ice in a nice ambience. She said would like to see ear and nose studs.
    Almost an hour had passed. Half A dozen models in each inspected under Phillips candella focus lights and the in natural light and stood short listed. Between sisters there was meaningful discussion of first water -perfection - long and short ear lobes, pointed nose etcetera . At last they decided to go for one particular pair of ear studs and a nose stud.
    Those men from jeweller's side seemed to be too pleased with the way sisters gone about the selection, aesthetics and keeping in view the rate per carat of diamond and that of gold in which those blue diamonds set in.
    Once again, SIL stood close in front of a huge convex mirror after wearing those studs selected.
    There was voluminous discussion once again for reduction in rate and about the cut, clarity, color, and carat (weight and size) - the so-called four 'Cs' that dictate a diamond's quality. After Sisters seen those studs with jewellers magnifying glass, my spouse told me too to look through magnifying glass for any flaw and colour.
    SIL kept aside the jeweller' s magnifying glass aside, flipped open her large maroon vanity leather bag, fished out from it a large magnifying glass and examined with it those studs finally selected for buy.Quietly, pursing her lips, she passed on the glass to spouse and I for closer inspection and lo we three could now clearly see the fibre like zig zag lines in the pair and nose stud. Spouse said "dosha kal".
    While the jeweller staff stood nonplussed, SIL shoved her large magnifying glass back into her bag telling us " better we exit now".
    This was some day in May 1986.
    Great sisters' hubby are approaching diamond now.
    Regards.
    God Bless all with golden heart .

Rihana likes this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, I loved your snippet. You have such a delightful way of describing events and experiences! I can visualize everything like I was right there with you.

Sweet!

This is the best way to shop. Memories for a lifetime. :)

I've been scratching my head, trying to come up with a story for you. Big fail, so far. Shopping is just another chore for me — something to get done as swiftly as possible and forgotten even sooner. If I recall something, I'll be back.

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.