1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Agony can be changed to ecstasy!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Friends I would like to introduce you to this wonderful member of my family. I have an paternal elder cousin sister, Vasantha Chechi as I call her, so elder that she is almost Moms age, and I have always admired her for the sheer energy she exudes.

There is this incident , rather a phase of her life that I am sharing her with all of you my dear friends with the kind permission of my cousin.

A brief about her. Her name is Vasantha and she lives in Kerala. She is a very talkative person, Talking being her other passion besides food. Let me explain how passionate she was about food. This happened about a decade and half back .I accompanied her to a pathological lab in Thrichur. After gulping down around 4 coconut water and 3 fruit juices for a urine test , she decided that now it was time for lunch. She was famished , or so she said. Two plates of egg curry and 6 Aappams, she ordered, and I thought that included me and a couple of other cousins too. Then she turned to us and said now you place your order.

Well that was her love for food and life. A very lively person, could talk nonstop , there never can be a dull moment with her.

About a year back , I received a call from her younger brother, Vasantha Chechi has been diagnosed with breast cancer and her treatment had just begun. She was traveling to this hospital once a week for a treatment. I kept regularly in touch with her.

I kept thinking about her, wondered how much she must have changed. And then Mom decided to go and meet her. I told Mom to be strong and never cry in front of her etc and all the last minute instructions and also requested her to ask Vasantha Chechi to speak to me atleast once.
    The next morning I was in for a pleasant surprise , when at 6 , my cousin called me , almost her usual chirpy self . She chatted nonstop. Infact I waited for any kind of pause where I could probably put in my two words but I literally had to fight for it.

And then again the following morning at 6am . Well I thought I never needed to set an alarm again. Vasantha Chechi was doing it for me. Her chirpy voice was better than any alarm sounds anyway. We kept in touch almost regularly except on the days of her therapy.
    One fine morning she chirped, “Guess what ? I got my wig last night . It looks very good on me. I have been flaunting it around. I’ll send you some snaps soon. Infact Im going tomorrow to Chennai to show it to Baby( her married daughter). I’m sure she’ll love it too. And how did I forget to mention the lovely designer padded blouses. "

Chemotherapy , Masectomy, nothing …….. nothing at all stopped this bundle of energy from exploring life to the fullest. Even life’s gravest challenges were finding it difficult to cope with her energy.Do you think she never felt weak, never actually suffered ? Yes she definitely did , but her will to overcome it was so strong that she did not let it mar her never say die attitude.

I just couldn’t help smiling. All the while I had heard about how Cancer and chemo can play havoc with ones psyche and life and here was this wonderful cousin of mine who had the right attitude and spirit of living that couldn’t be bogged down by cancer even,.

A lot of ladies go to meet her. The reason : most of them are afflicted with cancer and meeting Vasantha chechi gives them a hope to life. A hope was a better tomorrow and a hope that nothing will change if you do not want it too.
    And while I write this to you I am sure she is sitting in her verandah with a few neighbours and chatting away to glory!!

Most illness can be overcome, beaten before they beat you. I guess positivity and the right attitude in combating illness goes a long way. There is always a chance to live but do you have the will in you or are you trying to succumb even before the end .

Life is for living to the fullest and who else can tell this to us more than our own Vasantha Chechi!!

Beat the disease before the disease beats you.

Love,
    Devika

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika Mol
    A wonderful post as ever!
    Your cousin reminds me of the Unsinkable Molly Brown, the lead character of a movie by the same name. Debbie Reynolds had this role tailor made for her and she simply lived it through. Molly Brown's troubles chase her from birth but nothing affects her ebullient self. It is as though that her troubles are sent her way by God as a practical joke. At least that's how Molly takes it. She bears no grudge against anyone and she is absolutely determined to have her fun come what may. She even survives the Titanic tragedy in the end. While the ship sinks slowly at a distance, we see Molly paddling away with a couple of survivors chatting incessantly!

Bearing an incurable and terminal illness with dignity is a great test of character. Your cousin is so refreshingly different from the kind of cancer stricken heroes of Hrishikesh Mukerjee. I remember how the famous oncologist of the country Dr.Shantha came down heavily against movies like Anand and Milli for making cancer a subject matter of great melodrama. She says that cancer is quite curable and even when it reaches secondary stage, the least that we can do is to put some cheer into the patients' hearts. But here your cousin is doing that to us. Hats off to her!
    Sri

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,
    It was wonderful meeting Vasantha Chechi,the bundle of energy and enthusiasm.I really admire her.Normally when such grave moments threaten, the patients become paranoid,self pity engulfs them.Relatives who attend on them tend to become irritable, after some time.The patient becomes a pathetic sight.Your Vasantha Chechi is like a just blossomed flower,exuding happiness and cheer around her,in her moments of suffering.Only another woman can understand what it means for a woman to go through masectomy!
    I pray to God that she comes out of this ,that she gets well.She should be there to give courage to others,"See I too suffered but now Iam ok,don't lose heart!"

You have given a beautiful picture of hers.
    love
    mithila kannan

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Devika,

A positive attitude is the best way to confront any situation from the simplest problem to a major calamity. A French poet of the antiquity period has written an Ode in which he says that one must enjoy the present (Carpe Diem - Seize the moment, he says). I'm sure your Vasantha Chechi is living and enjoying every moment tothe fullest. She is showing us that her cheerfulness will help to get through any situation. Don't we all know that 'Laughter is the best medicine'?

Bravo and More power to her,
    Padma

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear devika,
    thanks for introducing your vasantha chechi to us...hope she recovers and lives long...i have heard that mentally if one is strong the chemo sessions have actually a better chance of working...ayway i have yet to meet someone like that...leave alone the ones suffering from the disease(god give them courage to go thru the treatment) but there is a long list of hypochondriacs who could do with a meet with vasantha chechi..
    love
    Mindi

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ende Priyappatta Mole,
    You have brought out the exact meaning of the word "DIGNITY" with your post.
    Usually, only, dignity of labour is talked about; but I always feel, there is dignity in the way we live and conduct ourselves, all the more in adverse situations, like Vasantha Chechi's.
    SHE HAS PROVED THAT ONE CAN BE DIGNIFIED IN PHYSICAL SUFFERING TOO!
    In such cases, we see people wallowing in self-pity, "why me alone" queries.....But your cousin has proved that one should face all situations in life with endurance, without disturbing our kith and kin.Accepting everything in life as ISWARAPRASADAM is easily preached, but hardly practised.
    Let us all pray that she must continue the rest of her life with "never say die" attitude. God bless her infinitely.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

My Dear Sir,

When you give me an opening FB, I feel absolutely :banana:banana.

Thankyou so much for your presence here.

Sir , I completely agree with what Dr. Shantha has said . A lot of us prepare ourselves for the worst though the worst might not be the future at all. There is always a possibility of things going a positive way ,but we need to condition our mind accordingly. In turn the mind conditions the body to look at things in the most optimistic way, making treatment more effective.

Cancer need not always mean the end, these days there is a lot of hope .

My cousin was one such person and I really think that she is a perfect example of how your life can continue undeterred despite Cancer.

Through this post I just wanted to spread the aware ness that there is still a lot of hope for all those suffering from Cancer.

Thankyou once again Sir for you fantastic FB. Not just your posts your FBs also always teach me something.

Love,
    Your Mol

8. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Mithila,

Such a pleasure to see you here.

You are absolutely right Mithila, sometimes people do wallow in self pity. I understand that the news of the end of life is never really easy to accept , but then that need not always be the case.
    My cousin never spent a moment thinking that this was the end. She never let it hamper her daily life. She continued her life the way she was used to. And lived optimistically. No one ever sympathised with her , because she never gave them a reason to. Infact when you see somebody like her making the ,ost of life , you wonder are we doing full justice to the lives given to us by him. Are we living the right way. Are we respecting life as we should? We begin to realise the importance of it.

Infact she is now a role model to so many. And now she is perfectly fine. Full of energy as always.

Thankyou Mithila for your kind wishes. Your FB means a lot to me.

Love,
    Devika

9. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Hi Devs,

Really an Eye Opening story..Loved ur chechi..feeling like to meet her once..I always feel,assume,imagine that I am having the greatest problems in life but when I see people with no legs or hands or suffering with dangerous disease like Cancer or AIds then I feel I am wrong as they are seeing that there death is ont he way and going to meet it very soon..but never mind they live their lifes very happily..

Thanks for posting such an awesome post..

Hugs,
    Dg..

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika,

A wonderful and poignant post, touching.Did Vasanti Chachi see Anand the Rajesh Khanna movie many times ? Same mannerisms, and positive outlook.

She must be a very nice person, and u are blessed to have her as yr relative.A living Teacher and God really.

God bless her.Regards.kamal