1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Wheelchair Assistance from India to USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by thanuja7, Jan 14, 2014.

1. thanuja7

thanuja7 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

My Parents are travelling from India to USA for the first time through Qatar Airways. I have few questions about wheelchair assistance throughout the journey. Please help me out with the info you got.

1) In India(Hyd), at what point do they get the wheelchair assistance?
    a) Do they have to ask at check-in that they reserved one while booking? -- If so I was told by agent that they may run out of wheelchairs, so we have to go to airport 5 to 6 hours before, Is that true?
    b) I also heard that they can get assistance right from the entry point where they show passport and ticket. -- If so, the e-ticket agent provided doesn't have wheelchair assistance printed on it. What should we do?

2) When they are switching planes,
    a) Do they have to stay in the plane and ask air-hostess for wheelchair?
    b) Or Do they have to get down the plane and ask at the counter(at the gate) for the wheelchair. How does it work?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

2. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

My parents recently travelled through AI. We didn't choose the wheelchair option while booking online, but my BIL just talked to airport persons who handle wheelchairs there and they were able to get it immediately. It was not a weekend. So I am not sure how it will be on weekends. But since your agent has opted for wheelchair, they should be able to get it right from the counter. They'll help you till your parents board the plane.

Switching planes again was within India (Delhi) , so they were again helped the same way. But in 3-4 airlines after landing, I have heard the air hostess requesting wheelchair-required members to leave at the end since those helpers were waiting with wheelchairs.