What's Your Take? Do Grandparents Feel Like A Third Wheel

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sweety2019, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Hi all..
    Just made this observation when I had gone out on the weekend..

There was this family husband, wife, their baby(maybe few months say 9 months or so) and a grandparent( not sure maternal or paternal). They all were at this museum sorts of place..

Now the observation:

The husband was with the kid in the stroller showing all the display and talking to the baby. The mom was tagging along behind them and the grandparent was behind her.. There was a good 2 arm distance between each one..
    There were times when the wife was looking after the needs of the kid and also pointing out somethings and excited.. then later she goes behind talks to the grandparent and shows things and they talk..after that they are back to the same 2 arm distance between them..
    Sometimes the grandparent used to go check out the stuff on his own..one time he was searching for the family and the wife for searching for him..
    There were times of awkward energy..

Now what's your take on this.. would the grandparent have felt like a third wheel or is it just me as a observer??

Someday when I would have kids I would like to take the grandparents(mine and his parents) for family outings..

How to balance from them feeling like a third wheel?

Or me or my husband feeling like third wheel when their spouse's family comes along?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It depends.
    If the grandparents are on a short visit....the children should make the effort to keep them entertained or included.

If they live together or are on a long trip,then the grandparents should be okay with the family not hovering around them all the time. The older couple should be comfortable being by themselves or walking at their own speed.No need to feel like the third wheel....or get emotional about it.

MalStrom and PurpleRoses like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This seems normal to me. My parents will go with us but they move at their own pace, so we don't always stick in one pack. Sometimes they will go off on their own and we just text each other or decide on a common meeting place in the mall.
    The kid's needs will take a priority sometimes. It also depends on the personalities involved. My parents are pretty laid back and don't need to be the center of attention all the time, but I have seen other elders who expect to be catered to regardless of the length of their visit.

4. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

W
    What if the grandparent does not have a companion at that trip? It's only one grandparent..