What's wrong with US?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Mohur, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

I really don't know how many people are actually going to read this post but I have a feeling that I am going to find out anyway. I know many people who read this are going to agree with me and many are not... So I am going to keep it short and simple, in exchange for your opinions.

I want to talk about Yuvraj Singh's Cancer!!! Yes, the much discussed topic. The hot news. The highly searched google topic! Yuvraj Singh's Cancer! So what have I got to say that hasn't already been discussed at length? Find out...

Yes folks! I know how much you people love cricket and how much you love Yuvraj Singh. It has become amazingly clear to me in the last few days when all I have heard about is how sad it is, about how he is a fighter and how we all want him to get well soon! The newspapers and other news media have covered it amazingly well to wet the appetite of the general population of the country & the world. In fact, I remember a huge picture on the front page with the title "Pray for Yuvraj" -- very well.

Now I would like to ask you, my readers, What is wrong with US? Granted, Yuvraj Singh is a celebrity, he represents us on foreign soil, he is an icon. But also, he is only one person. One person who has now joined millions others suffering from Cancer. All of a sudden we are supposed to feel sad and pray for somebody's life... I know you want to ask -- why not?! Well here's your answer -- for starters millions of people have been suffering from this disease for god knows how long. You have not stopped to pray for any of them unless they were related to you. Secondly, Yuvraj Singh doesn't need your prayers - Others do. Yuvraj Singh's monthly earnings is more than a lot of Cancer victims' yearly income. Yuvraj Singh has the means and resources that the others cannot even dream of. He is sure to get the best doctors and the best treatments that modern day Medicine can offer. Sadly the millions others depend only upon the prayers that you are so generously bestowing upon the youth icon. Don't you think they deserve your prayers more so that they can touch people's life or at least get a chance to?

A Note to those who are part of the media: Well the responsible people should take care of their responsibilities...! Would it have hurt you to do an additional article on the unfortunate victims of Cancer who are not lucky enough to be in Yuvraj singh's shoes?

Please Say a prayer tonight for the "Others".

7 people like this.

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Perhaps it has to do either our ability to identify with someone we know...it's not because he is a celebrity only. You may feel sad about the others but if your neighbour gets cancer it hits you personally because it is someone you know. Then again, we may not know Yuvraj personally but it is a reminder that we don't have control over our lives...no matter how young, rich, or famous we are there are to exemptions in life.

4 people like this.
  3. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

My thoughts exactly Mohur, I agree yuvi is young and it is very unfortunate that he is suffering from cancer. How many people have contributed to TATA cancer hospital in West Benegal, how many people have died because they cannot afford treatment?Not a thought or a tear is shed for them. He went to US and has made a lot of money playing in IPL etc. It would be commendable if BCCI or haryana gov spent the money for those who cannot afford but need the treatment.

4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Similar thoughts Mohur...

If a common man suffers from any ailment, he has nobody to sympathise or help him out. But if its a celebrity and even if he is well-to-do, everybody out there wants to contribute when he actually does not need so much and can afford it himself. We do feel bad that he is going thru this phase, but there are thousands out there who are struggling to even get treated. What about them...

There was a small article in the newspaper sometime back that really touched our soul just coinciding with Yuvraj Singh getting aid for his treatment. It was a news about a lesser known sportsperson (I think badminton player at national level) who died of bone cancer as he could not afford the high cost of treatment. It kept me thinking for quite a while....wasn't there anybody to contribute for this aspiring talent's treatment? Why? Was it because he was not a celebrity and came from some tiny village? So what, it still matters that he was a sportsperson and could have brought a medal for the country if given an opportunity.

2 people like this.
  5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

There are two different issues here...one does not correlate to the other. The public support for Yuvraj is a very different matter and is not contingent upon depriving someone else of care.

As someone going thorugh similar tests for the past three months, I can honestly say most of us don't grudge him the care he gets or the support he gets. In fact when a twenty something woman walks into the waiting room, all of us offer her support-irrespective of the fact whether we know her or not. Age is a factor for us because we look at it in perspective of what we have been able to achieve/experience at our age.

If he has been able to get the help he needs without having to go through the anxiety or the frustration of dealing with bureaucracy, I doubt there are many of us who begrudge him that:) would we like the same care? Yes! But begrudge him his chances? No!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

I, in no way want to begrudge him his chances. I am merely pointing out the difference between him and the 'not rich','not a star' Cancer Patients.

My point here is that since he is a star - his getting 'Cancer' is being portrayed as a Big issue. Yes its a BIG ISSUE but not because Yuvraj Singh has Cancer but because "CANCER" is victimising millions others as well. Why don't we see a Big headline about all the victims of Cancer and a small article about Yuvraj getting it too?
    The society is expert enough in creating a barrier between the Rich & Poor, between the "somebody" & "nobody" (incidentally the barriers which dont matter to any of the diseases) -- does the Media have to create a wider barrier by featuring only the rich & somebodys' of the society????

And as a part of this society, when we read about Yuvraj -- we go 'Oh' & 'Ah' or 'Hope he gets wells soon'. But how many of these people actually stopped and realised that its not just Yuvraj who is suffering from this - that there are millions other who are suffering and could do with a 'hope they get well too'?

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

When someone in the limelight ends up having an illness, the condition will get more coverage...it is a chance for people to talk about the illness and its ramifications. It is a chance to educate the public about the care and treatment and how to identify the early stages...especially in a coutnry like India where we don't go for routine checkups it isthe perfect opportunity to talk about it...that IS a part of public health services. That is why celebrities are encouraged to talk about their health concerns...it reaches more people...it is jot just a case of 'look at poor me.'
    Besides, how do we know whether someone is concerned fornothers or not? Do we take a public pledge? One can say lots of things in public and do nothing in private...I work in a related field and I see this all the time. I would rather see someone practice care and concern in their private lives than hear someone say all the right things...I for one do not care if someone donates to a cause or not...I am more interested in knowing if they are kind to the people around them and help them in their hour of need...that reduces the burden of dependence on 'charity' or strangers' goodwill.

The best way to make a real change is in discussing the facts and needs, and showing through our personal actions-that doesn't have to be on display or recognized as worthy by others.

8. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

it might be Yuvraj Singh or It might be Sachin. It might be anybody. its waste of our time to get bothered about others. Tyr to invest time effort on yourself or on our family .We Indians revere our favorite leaders or personalities, but don’t read them. This comes naturally to a culture that worships physical forms, rather than ideas. But it means that they remain unexamined.

9. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

Well, celebrities life get more attention than ordinaries. Be it their marriage, affair, illness, or anything! i do not exactly see any issue there.It would be nice if he and media use the attention to educate ppl. There are so many good health care set up which need funds. education, donation, all for a good cause is a good thing.

10. Anikha

Anikha Silver IL'ite

Dear Mohur ,

While I feel the pinch along with you on the fact that the media is not being responsible,but, the truth is electronic / print media is a sheer profit oriented business.

It writes what the common man likes to read.
    Yuv Raj is an entertainer , there is a mass following for him , so media wants to grab the mass hard earned paisa , it's a dog eats dog world.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012