1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's Is Right Age To Give Our Kids Separate Room

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by peet1983, Sep 25, 2018.

1. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

Friends,
    Please suggest the right age for kids to start sleeping separate. Our DD is already 7 years and she always wants to sleep between us and no compromise in that. As she is a single child we don't want her to feel insecure being left alone. But this made our intimacy time to nill for quite long periods.

Please suggest some ways to make her feel secure but mean time independent also while sleeping.

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

7 is a good age to start sleeping in her own room. My kids started sleeping alone around 5.

peet1983 likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I dont think there is a right or wrong age but 7 sounds like its time she is ready for transition.
    When I trained my 3 year old completely, it was with gold stars. Since she is older, i would try these, in the same order.

1. Get her excited about the new room. Maybe take her for shopping and get bedspreads etc of her choice? Decorate the room with her favourite things (Mine loves butterflies, tu-tus, glitter and all things girly). Get the room ready first. Furnish the room with a small desk, lamp etc. make it pretty so she wants to stay there.

2. Spend a lot of time in the room. At a younger age, its easy but as they grow older, all sorts of fears creep into them. I suggest you spend time in her room reading books, playing with toys etc. This will get her comfortable in the room. Even though its been a part of the house, its now "her" room. So she needs to feel that. Maybe leave something that brings her comfort? Maybe a favorite toy or a picture of God or whatever it is that brings her comfort other than mommy and daddy.

3. Once you spend a week or so doing the above 2, call a few friends of hers for a small playdate so she can show off her room. That will be the highlight.

4. From the point 3, you can choose to sleep on the floor beside her bed the first time. Second night onwards, she sleeps in her room.

5. Every night she sleeps all night long, she gets a star. At the end of 5th star (or the day of your choice), she gets a toy.

Initially she will keep coming to your room. Consistently keep taking her back in her room. Expect tears. Dont give in.

sindmani, BhumiBabe and peet1983 like this.
  4. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

Thanks alot for your suggestions and you framed it very professionaly. We will start implimenting them.

Rakhii likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

no problem. When I was creating the bed, I researched and took ideas around how it should look like.
    Google for "Bed Canopy for Kids". It will give you excellent ideas. Some are very very cheap to implement. We did a canopy for a friend of mine using an old see-through saree and hanging hooks from ceiling. Good luck.
    Basically something very creative, pretty and appealing will make her more acceptable to the idea of sleeping alone.