1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whats in your closet?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My chance to really cleanup a house without the homeowners being present happened when my mother in law passed away. As my father inlaw had passed away earlier this was a total cleanup. Many items were discarded,some items kept, many donated. But there were no secrets behind. Recently i was reading a similar situation where the children came across not so good secrets of the parent. Ofcourse even if the parent is an adult we sometimes dont think they have a life or past. I got to thinking of my family my husband and I. SInce i do the big spring cleaning every year I know (or think I know) what is in every closet. I dont think i lead an interesting and exciting life to leave behind hidden secrets. But how about yours? Do you have any secret beneath your sleeve or in the closet? 8)

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    My closet is all filled with dresses ...........dresses and dresses............
    When somebody asks me whay so many.......I used to joke that when I will die, nobody has to bye woods for cremation (if I will die in India), my dresses will do the thing.
    Even, sometimes I used to forget what I have and where..........
    I have so many small knick knack in different boxes.........
    I know after my death.........whoever will clean my closet will love to find so many cute sweet stuffs (dresses of every kind.........jwelleries in plenty......make-up kits eventhough I hate to put make up, I love to buy make-up kits and presently I have minimum 10 kits from different brands........)
    yes, I too have some junk things on the ground self of the closet........but nothing like secret things.............
    regards...........

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Same here...
    I have plenty of clothes in my closet, couple of jewellery sets and some cash.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Meeta
    I had to reply because you cracked me up that I have spent the past few minutes laughing out loud. The point is what would people find/think and not necessary a secret. I have some shabby ways and there's going to be a lot of clothes not folded properly , laundry not done and many papers not filed away. I'm really hoping I can finish my filing or rather catch up with my filing before I die.

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC (N),
    Believe me, after I "leave", my children will have a shock !
    You know I was a student of American College in Madurai. Though not a great looker, I received quite a few "notes" ( you know what!8) ) from boys of our college. That used to boost my ego no end & I used to feel like a beauty queen ( now shows, how silly I was, to believe them!:eek ). I still have them with me as "sweet reminders" of my youth !
    I also preserved the b day cads, my son & daughter gave me when they were very young , with lots of enderaments.
    Another thing is, cards given by my grand daughters when they were kids with very cute messages.
    All the above are "harmless" & I love to go through them occasionally, when I feel a little low !
    Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

6. Tweety

Tweety Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anandchitra,
    Nice thread.I have kept all my precious things (dumps in others point of view) safe in a box in my home. Got to get it when we settle there.
    Somethings i preserve till date are
    Bunch of Greeting cards
    (which includes, card that my dad and mom placed in my bedside so that i can see it the very first on my birthday,a surprise card from my sisters and their kids, from friends on friendship days),
    post cards from my school friends
    (we were friend since LKG, but now we lost contact),
    my school and college autograph books,
    (ofcourse, intersting even now my nieces and nephews are demanding me to give it once to have a look)
    chocolate wrappers,
    table mount Gifts
    (with phrases and quotes)
    Pressed Flowers.
    (from rose petals to unknown flowers).
    My drawings. in school days.
    (nowadays hardly i draw)
    beads and glittering stones
    (I preserved them for my Art from waste)
    Some things i split and gave it to my niece and nephew as a part of my will:wink:
    Sea shell collections (for their fish tanks)
    My boxes and pouches
    Dolls
    (Oh My teddy)

At times i think I am dumping things. But they are all a reminder of the fond memories and nice moments we went across in our life.
    As chitra mam said things such as AGs, Cards anything which reminds us our happy moments can refresh mindstate when one feels low.

here also I am continuing my collections...;-)
    Regards,
    Tweety

7. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anandchitra,

I have in my closet so many things that i myself havent seen for a long time now, i have kept many, many greeting cards and luv letters from my hubby(we had a love marriage), B'day cards from relatives and friends,small gifts that i received from my friends, my old diaries(i stopped writing few years ago),autograph books and my old school and college telephone index, and now i am adding to it, my baby's unforgettable moments. I am planning to make a lovely big treasure box with my daughters things which are now in the closet. I have her first birthday dress and other dresses that my mil learnt tailoring and stitched for her, then first dress that we took her and shopped when she was just 1 week. Birthday cake icing which i collected from the first and second birthday. Lots and lots of photos and videos that we took from the time my baby was born all converted into dvd's now and kept safely. Mere closet is not enough, we need one full room as we keep adding things to it.

So when she grows big and she tries to clean our closet, i am sure she will be happy, exited to see her old things and also the cards and letters that we exchanged before marriage.

My MIL has stored my hubby's small toys, baby bed(when he was 1 year old), pillow, straw tumbler etc and she gave it to me when i delivered the baby.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Chitra,

Well my computer has many naughty things tored up.And my drawers have many letters of youth, some pics of some friends,which are better to keep away from wife.

Yes everyone has their own secrets and we must respect the other person.So some letters and some pics are best removed without going deep in them.

Thanks and regrds.kamal

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I don't think anybody will find any interesting things in my closet when they clean up, maybe some insects which thrived upon those things in the closet!
    Old letter from my grandparents,
    Letters from my parents, greeting cards, photo album of my children from the day 1, some vessels which are being used occasionally, passport and other things in a separate box, pillows and bedspreads, comforters, pillow cases,which are to be used when any guests come and of course my sarees, which are limited in no. (maybe 30+ and not over 40) and some old clothes to be given to the needy and also some jewelry of mine and daughters.

I think you should be surprised that which closet holds so many things. It is spread over 2 closets.:-D
    Sriniketan

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  10. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    So nice that you laughed but I was honest........
    Yeah, I too have clothes not laundered and stacked as wood piles....
    But thankfully, I never let my hands on any documental/paper work and only my hubby does everything......poor soul........
    I am not at all a good organisor....., so kept myself aloof from all important documents.....
    About cards, college gifts etc.......I kept all those India.......so never getting chances to see those here..........and my hubby is not a fan of gifting cards....so very few cards from close frds only.........
    Regards.