1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Whats for dinner today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello folk,

I am yet to prepare today's fare...still too early here..:)

Yesterday's lunch was Jilakara Vankaya ( eggplant curry with cummin/jeera masala), Menthikoora pappu (dhal with methi leaves), tomato rasam, papads, rice, yoghurt, pickle !
    Dinner was stir fried noodles with onions, carrots, edemami, scallions and spiced with soy sauce and sambal oelek.

Have to prepare two menus (or three ?!) for today...one for us, one for the little ones and for supper....:idontgetit:

L, Kamla

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Dear Kamla,

Whenever time permits, could you please share the recipe for Jilakara Vankaya.

Cheers!

3. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies
    Today I am makng masala corn for a starter ,as my hubby is fond of it & it is the season here.If any body want recipie just say so,It is simple.
    For rest phulka & cauliflower in tomato puriee.
    Jaishree

4. ramalav

ramalav New IL'ite

Hi jayashree,
    My daughter likes corn very much..... This masala corn is new to me and pl. send me the recipe so that i can prepare this evening and surprise her......

thank u
    rama

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rama
    For this u need
    half ripe corn 6 -8 pieces ( if not u can take baby corn also )
    4 onion medium size
    1 tsf garlic paste
    Green chilli 2 -3
    Red chilly poweder 1 small spoon.
    Salt
    Oil 2 tsf
    Green parsley
    First cut corn in 2 -3 pieces & get them pressure boil till soft.
    Make onion paste .
    Put oil in a pan & heat ,put some cumin seeds & garlic paste & onion paste ,saute it for 5-7 mts ,Put red chilly poweder ,green chilly ( cut in small pieces ) & salt to taste . Fry a bit more mix boiled corns & if needed some water& let it simmer for 5 mts. Squeez 1 lemon juice & Garnish with green parsely.Serve hot .
    Hope u will like it. Bye

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Today's dinner is moong dal khichdi with all English vegetables ,pepper powdered along with coriander powder and raita and papad.,followed by thayi sadam and avvakai pickle.

7. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Moong dal kichdi sounds like fun.
    Today I am going to try my hand at making quinoa pulao.
    Quinoa is supposed to be a super grain (actually it is a seed) and my husband bought a few pounds of it some time back.

Gayathri

8. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

today's lunch was chicken drumsticks curry,Kandha-bachali curry with rice.And for dinner planning to have left over curries with Roti.

And Kamala,as usual ,ur menus sound good,can u tell me the recipes for jeelakarra vankaya and Fried noodles?What noodles do u use?can u mention the name of the noodles?

Vaishu

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice recipe Jaishree, thanks.

As for the Jilakara vankaya...Nivedi and Vaishu...the name is more fascinating than the recipe!!! It is verrry simple. The taste ofcourse depends on the qualitiy of vankayalu or egg plants. I use the thin long and dark violet variety of egg plant for this. They taste the best, also, the thin, long green ones are also quite good.

Jilakara Vankaya :
    Make a paste of jeera, chillies and salt. Add some oil in a kadai or wok and splutter some mustard seeds, add urad and then curry patha, followed by egg plant cut into thin long strips. Saute with some haldi and add the ground mixture along with some salt and a dash of sugar. Cook on a low heat covered...stir now and then and remove when the egg plants are cooked and done. You can also use jeera and chilli powders instead of grinding the whole spices.

Stir fried noodles :
    You can use any of the chinese variety of noodles...also called rice sticks sometimes. This time, mine was a thicker variety, the thin ones work just as well.
    Boil and strain and reserve the noodles.
    Slice onions and chop garlic and ginger finely and slice some green chillies. Heat some oil (canola) in a wok and add the garlic-ginger-chilli bits and then add onions. When onions look transparent, add sliced carrot, edamami and other veggie of your choice ( cabbage, cauliflower, beans, green peppers etc...slice them all into thin and longish strips, will look good with noodles!) and cook them while stirring. Add soy sauce, sambal oelek...you can also add some ketchup if you like...and mix everything well. Now add the cooked noodles, salt and towards the end, garnish it with chopped corainder and serve hot.

L, Kamla

10. ramalav

ramalav New IL'ite

Thanks jayashree for the corn masala recipe........
    I prepared methi leaves daal ,potato-yam curry, roti for dinner.
    i was a silent reader of this thread and take out recipes from what u all post and decide for my dinner.......thanks to everyone

rama