1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Whats for dinner today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Im so bored to cook & dont know what to cook :bangcomp: Whats cooking in ur stove ladies?

:cool: :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Nothing is currently cooking in my stove since it is only 4 pm here.

But I plan on making dosa with some sun-kissed tomatoes and onion chutney or maybe chapathis with some creamy lentil mash :wink: which is simply nothing but daal:cool2: :boo:

So,Selvi,I think you should have got the idea now--just do plain old stuff and give fancy names for it...:mrgreen:

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Selvi,

I think this is a great idea. Oh, I remember the number of days in the past that I had no mood nor aptitude to cook:( But I had not internet outlet either and had to suffer my frustration alone:(

Doesn't if feel good to know that one is not alone in lacking enthusiasm to do certain daily chores?!

These days, I am cooking in advance as I seem to be so busy with so many things going on. So on the days I cook, I chop all the veggies bought from the produce place and store excess for later use, boil two or more dhals in the pressure cooker and freeze for use. Ofcourse, have become expert in making ready made masalas and tamarind pastes( thanks to Chitvish and Krishnamma etc) and if there is dosa or idli dough, it is an added bonus. Chapathis are challenging though, they seem to disappear fast!

As for today, it is soup and toast!!! Ha ha ha:)

Yes Sunitha, nice idea. If the food is not fancy, atleast the names can be!

L, Kamla

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

This is great idea. For me it is the full 3 course meal. Since hubby had to eat lunch out today. for dinner it is : pushni-kadalai kootu, rasam and curry. Got some fresh pullipu raw mangoes so making manga curry wih that!!. Thats for Hubby, for me it is split pea and barley soup.

Me too Like Kamla, i always cut all the fresh veggies and keep them in the freezer. So also boiled paruppus and idli dosai maavu in the freezer. So that really helps.

V

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Selvi,
    you are not alone, sometimes I just feel that I don't even want to eat at all. But now it is not dinner time but tea time here. I made a good lunch today, both the boys are home. Avial, capsicum sambhar, MW rasam, fried appalam. We are all feeling drowsy after the heavy lunch. And in this condition, Aravindh is preparing for tomorrow's Maths model exam and trying very hard to keep his eyes open.
    And dinner- I shall just make rice. Sambhar and saras, avial are all very much there. I have made enough for dinner also.
    By the by, what did you do about dinner? :confused: Just looked at the photos Chithra had posted?:confused2:

6. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Most of the time thats what I do, browse through all CV's recipes & yummy photos and totally getting confused what to select.. would end up doing my usual sambar or some mixed rice..:mrgreen:

All u ladies make me envy... making all 3 course meal..

Yesterday i left it to hubby's choice, made vathakulambu(my moms recipe) with microwaved appalam.. I dont like vathakulambu much , so dont make it that often :wink: ..So he was happy to have that last night..

Suggestion to all moderators: Can we have a seperate "ChitChat" section common to all topics? I didnt want to post this under America yesterday, but couldnt decide where else..

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Selvi,
    that is a good idea. We could chit chat or if Induslady provides us the online chatting room, we could do that too. Lets see what others have to say. You may all think that you are abroad so nobody to talk to. Being in Chennai is the same, not much people to chat. This on line is no problem, we can leave if we are in a hurry with out offending anybody.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

tonight is phulka, baingan bharta, masoor dal with coconut milk, salad, kothamalli chutney. all are invited.

9. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

yummy!! send me the flight tickets too..:mrgreen:

10. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey ladies..

i'm making Onion Prantha's for lunch today...i'm not much of a cook... but this was on my husband's demand today... will serve it with cucumber raita and desi ghee on prantha's..

will let u knw how did it turn out