1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What was your favourite book as a kid?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Nov 19, 2015.

1. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya
    Great thread!!!!!!!!!!!
    If i have to name the books which took me through my childhood, I think u will b reading a very looooong post. But to concise it, I used to visit the library everyday.
    It was my father who first introduced me and my sis to reading.
    I remember i was 6 yrs old, when he first got Amarchitra Katha comic book. At first i had to c d pics and then tell the story to him, and then once i started understanding english, it was me and my books.
    After ACK, it was Tintin, Archies, Nanydrew, Hardy Boys, Perry Mason, Tinkle........... oh!!!!!!!!! d list wil go on and on.
    And Yes, Priya, i had that the Fairy tale book that u mentioned, apart from the complete works of Sherlock Holmes. But sadly I have not retained any of them.
    On thing the collection was huge, my mom used to scold Dad and us for littering the house with these books, and another was the books worms, u know the white ones, they never let the books alone.
    So now I have happy with the Kindle. God bless Amazon !!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

tintin-splash_iPad_quadri.jpg Thanks for tagging @priyasrini, when I was a child I used to read short stories, comic novels like 'The adventures of Tin-tin', Jungle book and a few others (adventure/fiction) latter started reading novels and my first read was a Sidney Sheldon's novel, I do like poetry apart from reading books my favorite poet was Robert frost...

kaniths and Jyo17 like this.
  3. Jyo17

Jyo17 Bronze IL'ite

I'm not tagged, but since I too love reading books, I am just in :)

I exactly don't remember when I started reading books. But thanks to my brother and mother. they introduced me to the world of books. As a kid (Even now) I loved to read books with some pictures describing the story. So comics were my first priority.

I grew with the monthly magazine - "Gokulam", and It encouraged me to write a short story and also I penned a poem which got published in the book. Along with this I used to read "Malgudi days" and other books of R.K Narayanan. Then I moved to foreign authors - Charles dickens, Jane Austen, Rudyard Kipling, Henry James.

I loved fantacy, then TIN-TIN were my favourite. Then as a teen moved to love stories and thrillers (I liked Stephen kings books).

And I still have my Barbie story books with me. hugsmiley which I have read almost every night before going to bed gigglingsmiley

Thanks @Priya, you took me to me old memories. As I was typing all these, there was a smile on the face thinking all about my childhood.

Now, Again books have become my companion. I get books from the library here. Currently reading Red rain ;-)
    Happy reading all !!

cheers,
    Jyo

2 people like this.
  4. Jyo17

Jyo17 Bronze IL'ite

Hi rohsik,

I too love poetry apart from reading books and Robert frost was my favorite too !! It was with the poem - "The Road not Taken", I started reading his poems and liked them all.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

maggi32 and rohsiK like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Enid Blyton's books were the predictable favorite for me too. Liked the Five Findoutters & Dog series best. Followed by the lesser known: The Adventure Series, also by Enid Blyton. Then Secret Seven. Had a love-hate relationship with Famous Five series.

Also liked the boarding school series - St. Clare's, Malory Towers.

But mostest dear to my heart was the Faraway Tree series, and Amelia Jane.

Darn.. Nostalgia can be a strong force.

6. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@priyasrini i like thriller and suspense books from the child hood There was a proze book when i was studying 8 th standard ." Hounds of baskar villi." a story which i like most I like the writers way of narration the suspense he created. the author name was sir Arthur Conan Doyle . It is a story featuring Sherlock Holmes.

I also liked to read chandamama stories in regional language . I also like panchatantra stories " The fate of three fish." "the foolish scholar bring back the lion to life",

7. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

I like this one too "Fire and Ice"...

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice...

maggi32 and Jyo17 like this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

What a nice thread! My love affair with book started around 6 years of age and continues to this day.

Childhood was Enid Blyton and her pixie/gnome stories that graduated to Secret Seven/Famous Five. I still remember by favorite Famous Five book is "Five go down to the sea" where the five go to this little Cornish town and encounter Mr. Penruthlan. How I longed to be a kid like that, what with all the picnic sandwiches and pies they used to get!!

Around 11 years was Nancy Drew... reading a book where there was a boyfriend (Ned, Nancy's bf) was very exciting at that age!

Right around teenage was when I really started reading... thanks to the CBSE non-detailed lessons that were abridged versions of the classics and a fabulous English teacher, I fell in love. Count of Monte Cristo and Great Expectations are the two of my most favorite classics that I have in paperback/kindle edition... everything. Edmond Dantes was my teenage hero. Along with these classics was the regular teenager fair - Sweet Valley Twins and Friends, Sidney Sheldon etc. Windmills of the Gods is a favorite Sidney Sheldon novel.

Post 16-17 was the time of non-fiction. I gained sudden interest in afterlife and such subjects and was reading extensively on those and my parents were pretty freaked out.

And then, I was hit with Harry Potter. One day, when I was doing my Masters and was in the hostel lazing around generally irritated with noting to read, my hands fell on Prisoner of Azkaban. Until then I had dismissed HP as a kiddie series and wasn't really interested. But with POA, I started an intense love affair. I begged people for other books. When Deathly Hallows came, I had pre-ordered mine but did not get it on the day it was released. Someone sent me a PDF and I did not even know if that was the real thing or if it was fan fiction.. but I read it. In one sitting.

My all time favorite though is R.K Narayan... I can just not get enough. My every India trip, I come back with R.K.Narayan in the hope that someday, my daughters will enjoy the magic of Malgudi as much as I have! Kane and Abel is another one I can never stop reading.

4 people like this.
  9. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Gokulam is a favorite childhood memory :) My sister and I used to keep watching out for the paper vala to drop it off to see who could lay hands on it first.

I especially used to like the Undir stories by Anuradha Khati Rajivan, the IAS officer.

1 person likes this.
  10. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@peartree I too remember the HP days..couldn't get my hands on hard copy of Deathly Hallows and got a pdf. Sat whole night and read it and fell asleep by 6am. I like all books by Jeffrey Archer especially Prisoner of Birth and Sons of Fortune.

PT and @guesshoo "The Magic Faraway" tree is my favorite of Blyton's too. I still read it sometimes when I feel like it. A week back, my mom gave me a find outer's book (3rd book) she came across when she was cleaning her house. I was amused to see that I had underlined and made notes in it for the ease of my sister who hasn't read the first 2 parts, so that it will be easy for her to understand the characters and story. shakehead

2 people like this.