1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What was your favourite book as a kid?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Arrul

Arrul Gold IL'ite

I love reading from my school days .... Thanks to my school library it had wonderful books still missing that library

My favorite is Alice in wonderland and tinkle digest

sindmani likes this.
  2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for starting this lovely thread Priya. All your posts have made me nostalgic and long for my school library. Tinkle was one of my favorites. The books we used to get at home were indian tales like panchtantra tales, jataka tales, stories of vikramaditya and vampire, ambuli mama. Then from school library, started reading Enid Blyton, nancy drew, small biographies of our freedom fighters, and other english classics. I don't have a specific favorite book from childhood. But Enid Blyton was my favorite childhood author.

3. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

It's a Nostalgic Thread Priya!!!...Thanks to my mum, who took me to Library week after week.. while she would select her books I would flip through a few comics.. and later on I stated reading lots of Tinkle, ACK and Chandamama Tales and thus the Journey continues...

1 person likes this.
  4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

hi! a good thread as usual Priya..looks like almost all of my favorite books have been already mentioned.. nostalgic to the max seeing the titles.

But the one book or rather collection which stood out to me was the brer rabbit tales by Enid Blyton..would have read that book a million times.. that tar baby story in it,used to make me in splits.

Also, my favorite monthly was Gokulam..since we did not have it subscribed, I used to wait so much for the 27/28 of each month when the next month's issue hits the stores.. I used to love the new book smell of Gokulam and used to have a fight with my sis over who reads it first..oh! those were the good old times.

After Gokulam, Enid Blyton, I was introduced to the abridged classics like Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Monte Cristo, Treasure Island, Tale of two cities and the likes.. I used to get transported to that world and it was a wonder in itself.

Later on, there was Tin Tin, Asterix, Archies,Famous Five, Secret Seven, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and the list goes on.

I have now evolved to read and like Horror genre the most!!:biglaugh

shivanya07 likes this.
  5. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Visasri @desichica @VanithaSudhir @daisy2015 @candyy @sreeram @BDivya @anupama1 @Arrul @chillbreeze @lampdeepa and @helpmeangel for sharing your childhood memories. I think all of you will agree with me when I say that the best part of growing up a reader is the excitement of a new book. That child like enthusiasm is probably still there in us all.

7 people like this.
  6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Yes of course you are right. Every time when i start to read a story my imagination runs along side the writer. That feeling is totally enjoyable. Hope all of you will agree with it.

2 people like this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

The one book from childhood I can never forget is The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I still find it magical. I do have a copy at home too and am eagerly waiting for my 4 year old to start reading! :)

8. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Wow!! kept me thinking and remembering the titles.
    I loved Enid Blyton and then Nancy Drew.

9. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I agree. Irrespective of the age when someone who loves reading takes a book in his/her hand they become kids who just started reading for the first time. They forget their surroundings as they get involved in it. That's the beauty of reading. It makes you forget your past, present and the worry about the future while you are involved deeply in reading.

Karthiga, desichica, Arrul and 3 others like this.
  10. candyy

candyy Silver IL'ite

A new book in our hand can never be replaced with any electronic book. I love the texture of new book, the sound of turning page, and smell of brand new book. Moreover i always prefer reading a book over a watching a movie made on it.

3 people like this.