1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Type Of Mocks And Remarks In A Funny Way, We Can Let Go

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by sindmani, May 20, 2017.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Some people just light heartedly tease others with no bad intentions, but some do it intentionally but then say "I was just kidding year or no heart feelings" . seriously I can't differentiate between them . usually I don't take any mocks seriously even if it hurts I let it go. But can some one guide me . it will be helpful.

Sunshine04 likes this.

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Don't let anything go. Hold on to each and every insult like it is a precious jewel. When the times comes and the person is down, retaliate. Never let them forget they insulted you and put you down. They shall regret it for the rest of their lives. As for who is insulting and who is just being playful, we all know the difference. Once you have put them down, they shall never think of insulting you again, playfully or otherwise.

sindmani likes this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Yes, the fact is sometimes just a casual tease in front of me , I too laugh at it but when the same is done when I am not present it hurts. Went through many as I was in India last year and my husband was struggling to settle down in USA. Mocks like " , how come u r so dumb that u don't know about ur husband and when will settle" it may be in a funny way they tell (the person is my close relative of sane age group),but I used to feel like crying.2nd question " will u ever go to USA "(and laughs, another person). First I thought it was their way. But some where it hurts. These kind of questions and laughing in from of me little and back of me a lot was done.what ever I say they will laugh at my back or make fun of it in the front, may be because my position in my life is not good . I never show my hurt. So I ignored and moved on in my career.that gave me back my lost hope and confidence. But I feel, people don't mock at every one, they mock at people who are vulnerable. What makes a person vulnerable to mock at. I need to work on that.

Sunshine04 and Umanga like this.
  4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Ur suggestions is going to shape my views . I really wanted to know should I take all the above easily and all theses were light hearted jokes or should I change myself a little . I have changed like I open up my feelings to people who really value me, I stopped taking everything to my heart, I now chose right friends rather than believing everyone as friends and then lament for them saying this to me, that to me etc. still somewhere this question is staying my mind.

Umanga likes this.
  5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Of course, people only mock those they can afford to mock. People, especially in India, are scared of those who have money and power. Trying mocking somebody who is rich and powerful in India, they will kick the sh*t out of you. Of course, nobody in India shall be foolish enough to make this mistake. Everybody knows everybody else's status and are keen not to offend those they may need. You are a sensitive soul. Try not to take it to heart. Make yourself stronger. Learn to answer back. Make them pay for what they did to you and make them think twice before they open their mouth again.

It will be different in the West. Try not to get too involved with Indians. This forum is full of people whose interactions with Indians abroad have gone awry. Don't rely on Indians too much. Be cautious in the beginning and only open yourself gradually. Don't get excited if you meet Indians in your locality. Limit your interactions with Indians to this forum. In the West, nobody has the right to comment on your personal life. Just focus on yourself, your husband and your career if you happen to be working.

Yes, it's very important to choose friends wisely. Don't take the entire world as a potential friend. There are many snakes in the grass. Learn to be self-sufficient. Take advantage of your new-found freedom in the West. If you live in a nice area, go on long walks in public parks or nature reserves. Start reading books and watching movies by yourself. Learn to enjoy your own company. If you are happy within yourself, what people say outside is less likely to spoil your mood.

PS: Here is a good article explaining why human beings tease each other.

PPS: Please quote my posts if you are responding to me. Otherwise, I do not get a notification.

sindmani likes this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Great advice. My anxiosness May be I am making a big mountain out of a mole hill , by getting hurt , crying with out others knowing etc. Now I just want to learn a right lesson by introspecting myself. I always have the habit blaming myself a lot. But now I am looking at it in a different way. Thanks a lot. I will read ur link.

Umanga likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

When the jokes become uncomfortable or hurtful, it is time to act. There are people who won't take you seriously, and think you are overreacting. Depending on how close (or how often you need to see them), address the issue and let them know that it's uncomfortable for them to bring those topics into normal conversation. This may need to be a private conversation, so they would take your request seriously. If you can easily get rid of them from your life, then don't even bother trying to make them understand.

The main thing is, you KNOW where your line is, so it is up to you to act accordingly. In my personal life, people don't mess around with me, because (1) I don't laugh at their mocking jokes (laughing at the joke makes them think it's ok for them to say it) or (2) I stare them down so hard, it makes the people who they are trying to entertain, feel uncomfortable. When I visit India, I have noticed that the teasing is far more brutal, and people just don't take a hint. That's why it's important to stay calm, but very firm, that it's not ok.

sindmani and Mistt like this.
  8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Yes, India is a whole another ball game. They take teasing to another level. Very difficult to survive here. They also don't realise that staring is rude. They stare and stare and stare. The entire country needs a lesson in etiquette.

Sunshine04 and sindmani like this.
  9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I think ,if it was hurtless joke , I would not have felt uncomfortable. Now I understand , may be my mind itself can differentiate, the hurtless and hurtful remarks. But still i had doubt that's it if I am over reacting , because they say all the hurtful things with a smile and say "no heart feelings". As usual I am going to ignore the comments but not with a smile but a little serious face. At least they will know it is not appreciated

10. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I am assuming it is Indians who are doing this. Westerners are rarely so bold.