1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What to teach a 2year old?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Binz85, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

My little one knows alphabets,numbers up to 20 ,colors and shapes.He loves to learn new things.i read to him daily.What else can I teach him? What are the things your LO's know?

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Self esteem and Soft skills are most important, IMO. Kids learns the colours and alphabet sooner or later. Consistently ensuring that the kids learn soft skills is what will set them apart. Having fun while incorporating the following into your routine is important.

make him independent - let him learn to eat by himself, dress himself, shell his own pistachios

Make him responsible / accountable - clear up spills, tidy up, not waste electricity/ water/ batteries

Show him how to be polite, treat people which courtesy and consideration - take turns while playing, help put away groceries, notice and listen to others, give them genuine compliments, say please and thank you, most importantly apologise if he needs to; children model their behaviour on ours which means we do these things consistently without fail; if we fail, we unreservedly apologise to the child

Treat everything and everyone with respect - standing on a book or throwing a toy deliberately will have consequences, not be excused as things kids do, and he should be respected as an individual which means we go down to his level and calmly interact with him even when our patience is wearing thin

show him how to be social - say hello to visitors, introduce himself, respond to questions

Impress upon him about health and safety - washing hands by himself properly, not eating stuff which falls to the floor, knowing his rights and boundaries while interacting with others, being mindful

standing up for himself firmly but politely without aggression - how to deal with another child who is not sharing/ being rude

Expose him to a variety of music and arts - play music in the background while you are doing other things, give him a variety art supplies and guide him through with minimal rules.

Lateral thinking and imagination - using vessels to make music, make a mat a magic carpet, pretend play

Improving strength, motor skills and coordination by playing the the garden, running around, playing ball, pouring from a jug into a glass, threading beads / penne pasta etc.

The most important thing he needs to learn is that you are always there for him and you are proud of him and love him to bits. Positive reinforcement goes a long way in this.

10 people like this.
  3. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Just build up on what he already knows..introduce new concepts gradually...refrain from information overkill at this tender age, it can put off some kids and could lead to aversions...being creative is the key, which I'm sure you are :)

Also, three most important things that must be imparted strongly: Discipline, Good Manners, Etiquettes. These will carry your kid through his childhood into adulthood. This is what stays with them and influences their conduct in later life. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

Ok I got what you guys are telling.But I am asking about the other things that help to improve his vocabulary and communication.He has speech delay and started to say words only after 20 months old.Now his speech is that of 18months old.He says more than 50 words including what I said above..Now our goal is to make him talk in sentences(2or 3words phrases).For that he needs more vocabulary.He is showing more interest to learn things.I want to know what else I can do to increase his words other than reading?.Like mom's in other forum told me to start teaching him positions like behind,beyond,in,out,in front of etc that a 2 year old can understand.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Talk about everything. Describe everything with respect to position, colour, feeling, texture etc. Keep taking in simple but full and grammatically sentences to him instead of just words. "Could you pass me the ball please, dear? Thank you, baby"

Use various words for normal events and he will just absorb it - eg. While brushing his teeth in the morning, you can open the tap a tiny bit letting the water "drip"; then make it a "trickle", then let it "flow normally" and open it wide to see it "gushing out". Show how the gushing makes the water "splatter". Show the water "flowing in through the tap" and "out through the drain" And so on.

Just build it up for each simple thing you do with him. When you see that something catches his fancy elaborate. If it doesn't hold his interest move on to the next thing.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

To add to the wonderful list here are my suggestions.

Usually during the weekends when we both have a lot of time to just play (I try to dedicate saturday and sunday mornings for play), I buy some crafts for her to do. I usually assist her when she asks and thats pretty much it.

Some of the things we use are:

1. Play dough
    2. Baby safe water colors
    3. floor puzzles
    4. scribbling on the side walk with chalk
    5. Getting her to help you prepare a meal. They love it when you ask them for help. Mine tears the lettuce, fills the muffin liners etc.

Edit: Just saw about communication.