1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What To Do?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by memeera1234, Oct 11, 2017.

1. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Dear IL's,
    I am sure many of us are sailing in the same boat. Parents who expect us to behave the same way they want us to. Say good about people they like, say foul about those they don't. Become puppets. Don't ever dare to even voice our opinion. If at all we do, then crying and emotional blackmailing. They can hurt us in whatever way they want. But we are not supposed to react or keep quiet. If you do, you have to hear stories of how much they struggled for you and at the end of the day, you turned hostile and are selfish/ useless children.

I say these in wake of my experiences. My mother has some issues with my father's sister due to some unprecented events which happened in recent past. She has vowed not to go to meet her even if she dies. She doesn't leave any chance to foul mouth her. And also expects me to join her in doing so. Personally I love my bua since things were not so had from begining. Ever since my grandmother passed away, she has been a granny figure to us. But now things turned so and situations turned overnight. My father favours his sister. This makes her all the more angry. And so she keeps on foul mouthing both my father and his sister. I don't like it somehow and if I say something in my bua's favour, then gone. She becomes a cry baby and I too becomes bad for her. My sister is always mummas girl. Whatever my mother says, she blindly follows. This has spoiled the whole environment of our house. My mom and dad fight often on the issue. Then I get phone calls from both blaming and Ill mouthing each other. I get stuck in dilemma. But I have observed a change in her behavioral pattern if it concerns her family members( maternal house members). Whatever they say, gulp it down the throat without saying a word. If we say or react, then whole drama unfolds. In short, my father favours his side of family and my mother hers. In all this our family of 4 suffers.

Now my mom is here with me. Today morning she was reminiscing old things and foul mouthing my bua. I didn't say anything..Kept quiet. Then she created a big issue. She said I was very self centred and selfish. She said I have a very bad attitude problem and I just want her for name sake. That I don't care for her and that I am a bad example of how a daughter should not be. From morning onwards this has been going on and I said sorry so many times ( I know I am not wrong but still to stop hearing these cuss words ) but she has not been talking to me. I don't know what to do
    I am feeling suffocated in all this.

Any suggestions what do I do? Do I change for her, act for her, maintain silence or maintain my stand. I am not comfortable changing my stand because I know I am not wrong. It may sound as my attitude but in front of my conscience I am not wrong.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I think u can leave the matter at that and move on . ur mom will become normal after sometime.

Sunburst likes this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

"Any suggestions what do I do? Do I change for her, act for her, maintain silence or maintain my stand. I am not comfortable changing my stand because I know I am not wrong. It may sound as my attitude but in front of my conscience I am not wrong."

OP, Just consider it as a bad day for you/ bad mood of her. Better not interfere. Just listen and leave through other ear, pl dont take it your heart. Next time, change topic or walk away. She will get the message. It is better not to discuss or argue as it is very difficult to change their view points at this age. You are young. So you will be able to change your reactions to these kind of situations. Just ignore it. It is better not to interfere in these issues and take a neutral stand.

sindmani likes this.
  4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Maybe your mother feels highly insecure , as your dad always favored his sister instead of his wife , which must be very hard for her . Try to remove her insecurities by showing her how special she is, and that she and your dad will always be your priority no matter what. Once, she starts feeling loved by you , she may stop these emotional outbursts.
    Of-course , she is wrong with emotional blackmail. but try to understand where she is coming from. Always try to avoid Bua topic, and distract your mom with some fun activities you both can do together. Then she may be slowly able to forget whatever injustices she may have faced in her life, with an un-supportive husband etc. Get her involved in your life, studies, hobbies and make her feel important. Avoid talking of Bua in a favourable way, nor bad mouth her. Just avoid her topic.
    Both your parents are wrong in that they favour their FOO and spoiling life for their own spouse and children. You should not fall into the same trap. Focus on having good relationship with your parents, and don't worry if your mother is badmouthing your Bua.Try to stay out of it, without countering her by talking of Bua favorably.

Dishaa likes this.
  5. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

Easier said than done, but just don't react. Don't let your behavior to the Bua get affected by what she says.

What is trickier is when one parent does not like a sibling or a nephew/niece on their side of the family, and expect you to mirror the dislike, so if your parent does not talk to him/her, you follow the same.

The argument given is : they are your relatives through me, so I can decide how you will behave with them