What to do with overnight cooked rice?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sunny side, Mar 30, 2011.

1. sunny side

sunny side New IL'ite

I cook rice in the rice cooker and keep any left over in the fridge but it becomes too hard to eat again. Then what I do it sprinkle some water and reheat it in the cooker and it's soft and ok to eat.

I also sometimes leave the rice in the rice cooker for the next day and it is ok to eat. By the way I cook rice with out any oil or coconut milk. Just plain rice and water and add little salt. We eat it with some curry (some meat), side dish (mostly some veg) and a salad.

Sometimes if we eat something else next day then rice is not good to eat after 2 days so I am looking to find out something I can make with the left over rice before it goes bad.

Thank you in advance.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

I grind the leftover rice
    with green chillies/red chillies,
    salt,
    hing,
    curd/lemon juice
    little water to a smooth paste/batter.

Add jeera and til seeds to it.

Take a big plastic sheet, smear oil all over it.

Choose a place where it is very sunny. keep the plastic sheet there with stones/pebbles on all the sides so that the plastic sheet does not fly away.

pour the blended paste in small circles all over the plastic sheet and let dry in sun for 2-3 days. Keep turning sides of pappad so that they dry completely.

Store the dry pappads in airtight containers. fry and have them with curd rice/variety rice. enjoy !!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    4 people like this.
  3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Sunny side:

First of all, if you have understood the consumption of rice for your family, better to cook what is needed

Secondly, you can add curd and make curd rice out of it (just crush a green chilli plain, add salt, some hing powder)
    It also makes a satisfying breakfast (in reply to your other thread for breakfast ideas)

1 person likes this.
  4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

You can make appams ,Check chitra ma;am recipes.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You can always make lemon rice, Tamarind rice, TOmato rice with leftover rice. You can even make Veg fried rice.

6. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Why dont u keep it in fridge. That way it stays good for even a week here in US. just sprinkle some water, microwave it and its good as new.
    I also make all the mixed rice like lemon rice,fried rice, pulaov, tomato rice, tamirand rice etc with the left over rice.

7. Liveandletlive

Liveandletlive New IL'ite

I too make lemon rice, fried rice, curd rice, tamarind rice.

8. sunny side

sunny side New IL'ite

Thank you all for suggestions.

We just moved here and I am new to cooking though I have always loved doing it. I now enjoy it. Most rewarding is hubby n kids love my dishes!!!!

I cook little bit more so that I don't have to cook rice again next day for lunch but if we have some thing else then I can always use the rice and make another dish.

I am going slow and trying not to repeat the same things. Any recipes for simple lunch / dinner ideas are welcome.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

You can grind the rice along with some red chillies, hing and curry leaves to make dosas. They come very well!

I make chinese fried rice - wok friend veggies -ginger, chilli flakes, spring onions, bell pepeer, corn,carrot and peas, egg, then adding the rice, then soy sauce, red sauce. Comes out very good.

10. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

I make Puliyodarai - It tastes better with old rice. :)