What to do with my labrador

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Deepa100, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Like the other poster mentioned, you will have to look a bit harder for a place to stay. Many apartments have weight restrictions on dogs. Labs are considered a friendly breed, so that will make it easier. Some people rent independent houses or townhomes.
    Average vet cost in my area (yours may be less):
    Office visit fee: $65 (usually once a year)
    Preventives (heartworm and flea and tick medicine): $20 monthly
    Vaccines: $24 each, mine usually get 3 shots yearly
    Wellness check: blood, urine, stool test: $100
    So the routine charges are not much, but if your dog becomes sick or develops a chronic condition, or needs to go to the emergency vet it can add up.
    Food should not cost more than $50 per month, treats and toys depends on what you want to spend.
    If you are all going on vacation and there is no one available to care for the dog, you may need to board the dog in a kennel. That fee can range anywhere from $25-50 per day depending on the facility.

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Deepa,
    Just saw your post about your dear doggie girl and the dilemma you are facing.Its so heartrending to think of relocating her after being with her for 6 years.Read all the FB's and ofcourse I would love to say take her with you too.But honestly you have to weigh the pros and cons before the decision is made.Besides all that I cannot help wondering if she will be able to withstand the stress of the extremely long flight before she lands Since she is 6 yrs old, you must take this into consideration.Our friend here Iswariya recently posted about the same plight you are in as she had to relocate to USA. However she managed to find a good home for her German Shepherd CHICO .If you start soon you will be able to settle her with good owners .Ofcourse if you have no choice then you should take her along .Hope you will arrive at a happy decision for both of you.