What To Do? Need To Ask Vacation Again, At Work For India Trip

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sanjuruby3, Mar 1, 2018.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I am working on a contract and so far, my team had been horrible and this work is not helping in career/resume. Morever, they are extending my contract month by month because of budgeting reasons. They started 3 months. I needed job. Then again for 2 months. Now at this point, near end of 2 months, I had to go to sisters wedding in India. I had no surety if when I come back, after 1 week contract will be extended or not. After so much of drama, I got vacation approved and was given surety of 1 month extension.
    My manager and middle company tried to pursue me to cancel or shorten for which I went only for 2 weeks. I worked for couple days for there but that was hell.
    I came back resumed work and was told projects will go month by month because of budget.
    Now another relative, H side fixed marriage . H's niece , its first marriage from their family so its important. They fixed boy/marriage talks when we were in India only, but dates were not confirmed. Inspite of them knowing we just came, it will be hard and expensive, they just decide to set the date after their kids exams are over, what i mean is their kids exam was their criteria..which is not like board exam... 5-6 exam. But I understand.

Now, here in project side, I had no confirmation and was going month by month. Feb came and was told, confirmed for March but do not know after that. March is coming and I did not know. Now we had confirmed dates of wedding so I thought after project over I can go. I knew project release is scheduled for May and chances are they might keep me till then but you never knew. Specially when they planning to bring internal people onboard.
    So this morning, I got May extension information and I am not happy.
    They had so much drama couple months back for 2 weeks vacation. Now project will be near release. I did not tell them anything yet. Also, I do not have any other option in had yet even though I am trying.
    And also, once I come back from trip, my work will be only or couple more weeks.

My H is telling me to go and come back after week leaving my kid with him. No way.... He will be so busy in wedding there and having child and not being around her.. I do not digest it. I do not trust his parents to feed her all the time or healthy feeding.
    Morever, my place is so far from his place and it takes 1 full day to travel .

What to do? what would you do in this situ

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Please don’t hate me for saying this , but honestly you need to change your attitude towards your work. Irrespective of whether your contract gets extended or not you should not abandon ship during a release ! the right thing to do is to finish the work assigned to you and leave on a good note.

Have immense gratitude for all the big and small jobs that You have done and all the people that have hired you. Not doing justice to a position one is hired for is really unfortunate, some other well deserving candidate could have taken up that job and done really well. In this economy where getting a job is hard lot of people would be grateful for even the short term projects you are doing. Respect your work , respect people that supervise you and respect people that you supervise. Good work ethics will always be beneficial in the long run.

Going on several extended vacations back to back is not the norm , specially during deadlines.

I feel for your manager. I really do.

P.S apologies if my reply sounds harsh, feel free to ignore.

shravs3, Shanvy, SunPa and 4 others like this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

As far as I remember, didn’t you have some similar post last year when you were blaming your team , manager , work and justifying your decision to go on a vacation in the middle of a release ? You come across so bitter with everything in your life . Your job sucks , you have a horrible team , people should have thought that your back and forth trips are going to be so expensive but 5-6 grade exams are not so important (seriously ??). Btw , if everything is so wrong with your job and if you think you are so good at what you do , why didn’t you quit long back for good . You should be thankful that your project keeps getting extended . I have never seen someone complaining about having a job . You spend way too much time and energy in finding excuses and blaming everyone but I think it’s you who needs some serious lessons on work ethics first ! Feel free to ignore my post if it’s not what you meant to hear .

Shanvy, Sandycandy, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your husband goes to India to attend the wedding, and you stay back with your child if he is unable to take care of her on the trip. A niece's wedding is different from a sibling's in that respect. Since it's his side they will be happy even if just he goes. Be careful not to burn your bridges at work.

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 depending on what your circumstance is, you need to decide if you "need" the job or if you "have" to go to India. It is dependent on how badly you need the job, IMO.

About taking off in the middle of release etc., I wouldn't think too much about it, because at the end of the day, it is a job. If something of higher priority comes along, this definitely takes a back seat. Now what is that higher priority - it is for you to decide. If you feel close enough to a husband's cousin that you should attend their wedding, that makes it higher priority. No one else can decide if a sister's wedding is more important than a cousin's wedding but you. Work is a contract, you are paid for what you do, neither you nor the employers are doing each other any favors... so there really is no need to feel guilt about asking to take time off, especially if you are a contractor. Also about extension, they need you, so they are extending your contract. It is definitely not out of some philanthropic motive. Yes, you taking time off at a crucial time of the project may reflect negatively on your performance review or future extensions or conversion or whatever. But that's just like any action has a consequence. While it is generally good that you are grateful for the small blessings in life (like having a job, being disease-free, being alive etc.), there is no need to specifically be thankful to individual hiring managers or companies that gave you a job. They hired you because you have a skill they need and you need them because they pay you for the work. So your decision on whether you want to go ask for time off to go to India should depend on how much you need the job.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The kids in 5-6 grades, how are they related to the girl getting married? Is she their aunt?

7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

It's ur husbands niece. He can go to.india. why do u need to travel with kids again..

shravs3, Sunburst and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby3 while considering marriage dates we look into convenience of many around. i don’t know if you are talking about the groom/bride’s exams or kids in 5th grade exams but the norm in most families is to look at holiday or vacation times for marriage dates. if this is the first marriage in the next gen on your h’s side probably others have kids in school and wouldn’t May be more convenient with kids having school holidays. sometimes it is about the majority. if the marriage was fixed and only dates were not confirmed in your presence, you could have added an request up front that you would like to attend the marriage but too close to this visit would be hard on you.

when your priority is you, your kid, then why can’t others think of their kids.

you need to really need to reevaluate the kind of attitude you have put across in the above post.. i ageee with @Sandycandy. i have been trying to help a few friends’ with jobs and we are finding it so hard. rs 6k for a 8hr shift take it or leave it was a response from a company that one of them attended.

Sunburst, Sandycandy and MalStrom like this.
  9. sanjuruby3

I know you feel for manager because you see one side. I do not want to leave the project which is why I am here talking asking what to do. Now it is between my contract job which will stay 1 more month and my ILs who anyways do not like me much will get another excuse to speak bad about me.
    If I had to leave the job, I would have quit without coming here and asking. I am in fix which is why I came here and telling you situation and situation at job also. I was so ill treated in the beginning by my manager and then later another new guy, still I stuck to this job for my own reasons, leaving my pride or skills aside. I have been mostly at harm by giving too much respect that people think I can be side lined easily but I still do.

About project, it was supposed to end in the march. Till then it was going month by month extension. Near end of month, I will come to know If I will be needed for another month or not. Are you or have you been in this situation. Told to shut up when try to tell or speak something that I felt right about technology.
    Probably you been flying very high at work, that how words are coming. Do not mind, but we always speak from our experiences or life situations.

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. sanjuruby3

I know. Its my ILs. H's older brother. I do not get to decide wedding dates right? Or no one asked us if we can come or dates suitable to us or not. They have kids in their family and other brothers family. In 5-6 grads..different stages. So they decided to wait till their exams are over.
    Anyways, no one cares about person living far. No one asked and we living in Us, do not have such sureties.

When it was my sis's wedding, couple months back, my H did lot of drama at home. Why they marrying her so early, could have waited. My parents were asking for dates 6-7 months ago since its my own sisters wedding, I am primary here. But my H, no one cares about your will etc etc. Look now.