What smell is that?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DNM, Feb 7, 2011.

1. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

The roses in India have such a fragrant smell isn't it?? Here in US we don't get that kind of smell in roses.....i would say no smell at all but they sure "look" lovely ...picture perfect. :)

2. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Satchi let me tell u,my father in law is garden lover.when they were in north india they didnt buy lemon for 11years,only from his own garden.They had a huge garden and they had lots vareities of flowers like jasmine,9 colours of roses,nithya malli,sugarcane,manjal,mangai inji,and so on....

ok then they shifted to our house in bangalore.here,initially he didnt show much interest but once he get use to the atmosphere,then he started his work again.in our house the space is very small.in that small space he planted many flowers like 3 colours(red,white and yellow) of hibiscus and 1 multi colour hibiscus kind of flower,nithya malli,pavazha malli,kundha poo,adukku malli,kanakaambaram,night queen,white arali, pink arali and yellow arali,saamandhi,dhavanam,maru.so these are all flowers.and coming to vegeis,he did pudina,avaraikai.thats it.he tried to do more but there is no space.next time when we go to india i will bring in some pics and upload here.Hatts of to him.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

true jaya, smell or no smell, roses are an all time favourite.

swethashri, i wish i could come and visit your fil's garden. i live in a flat on the 3rd floor. i have a lot of potted plants - amongst them chillies, ajwain, karavapillai, and tomatoes. unfortunately, my flowering plants do not flower too well. i guess the sunlight is not enough. but i did get about 30-40 chillies this year and about a dozen tomatoes. it is a different pleasure all together. i also get some hibiscus flowers, a blue kind of flower (which looks tubular with a whitish lower part) - i do not know the name and brahmakamal. gardening is indeed a pleasure.

4. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I see a lot of discussion about flowers and Iam tempted to ask this here.

Where do you buy flowers for decoraion/pooja purpose in the US?

Thanks a lot for your answers

5. nehaja

nehaja Bronze IL'ite

# I love the smell of sand while drizzling ( rains).I feel like eating the entire sand.
    #I also like the smell of hing and lemon.
    # eud colone.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

I buy from the local grocery store or usually from Sam's club..for pooja I use the yellow/white chrysanthemums and Sams carry them always and they are not that expensive.

[​IMG]

7. Swethasri

yes ofcourse its a pleasure.i forget to add couple of thing.karuvepillai,green tulasi and black tulasi.

8. Swethasri

Jaya will this flower grow in winter?or does it needs sunlight?pls let me know.

9. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

There is no sam's club close to my place.I have seen that in walmart/costco.They are expensive

10. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

The smell of the mud, when it rains. It takes me to my childhood days when I used to come out running to balcony to smell the mud. If I am in school, I would wait for the class to end so that I can run out and smell the mud.

Smell of jasmine, the smell I love most, takes me to my childhood days of summer vacation in my village. My house is on lake side. I have lot of open space in front of my house and lot of jasmine trees. All our family members sit and talk every evening and sometimes have dinner too outside. I would enjoy the talk, dinner, cool breeze and the smell of jasmine.
    Jasmine brings all those memories back.

Smell of new books. I love this smell. When teacher would ask us to open the book, I used to open the book and relish the new smell. My friend would watch out for me so that the teacher would not notice me.

Smell of mehendi, reminds me how my mom would patiently put mehendi on my hands, tie them with a cloth or cover so that I will not mess my clothes and bed sheet and feed me food (the best part).

Smell of fish, fried fish, would take me back to the memories, when my dad would patiently remove the thorns from the fish and feed me and my mom would watch both of us.