What smell is that?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DNM, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

This is the nithya malli.

Attached Files:

2. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

DNM so cute..very different thread..how you get these type of thoughts..:cool2:..i feel at home when i inhale the oodhupathi smell and the smell from appalam,vadai,payasam..Smell from new books reminds me my school days,new dress smell reminds me Deepavali..

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

WOW..DNM I do remember this green flower ....and like you we had this plant too in our garden, we were living in a Company quarters, before shifting to a own house.in kannada its called sampangi and back when I was a kid..i remember someone saying .maybe my mom that snakes like this smell a lot hence will be around this tree a lot...LOL.

4. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

and btw is that paarijatha flowers in your first picture?? It kinda looks like it..it has a orange stem??

[​IMG]

OMG if that is that then we had that huge tree in our garden too....god it takes me back to my childhood...amazing smell and the flower used to bloom all night and lasts like only a day. It is said that Lord Krishna was responsible for bringing this plant to Earth.

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Occasionally we used to drive by the Britannia factory where they made yummy bikis. Even from the street you can smell the Milk Bikis!!!

AWWWWSSSSSUUMMMM smell that!!!! Imagine the factory churning them out in the thousands....and the aroma.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

I can imagine myself settling at the gate with a glass of water and another glass of milk...dippign those biscuits in both alternatively.....aaahhh :drool :cry:

7. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Swetha - Cool. I remember them now...white flowers are so beautiful. Sigh!

Jaya - OMG! Snakes? Shiver! I don't remember snakes ever coming into the garden though, thank goodness! They are sampangi in Kannada, huh? That must mean it is Champaka in Sanskrit. Interesting... Maybe there are a couple of varieties. What goes for Champaka here in US has many more thin petals and is yellow in color. Like this: I will bet you there are related.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Cinders - Thanks pa! Good ones!

Incense sticks are wonderful provided they are not too overpowering. Some of them give me a headache.

Frying appalam is a sure way to bring kids to the table. When my mom would fry anything, the smell would come out of the kitchen, come up to our bedroom window upstairs. It would be like 'Come to eat...come to eat...come to eat...' And so, Akka and I would come running down the stairs and straight to the kitchen!

New clothes smell - yup - deepavali, birthdays...:thumbsup

9. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Spidey - The Britannia factory! Yeah! It did smell so good! Same for the chocolate factory...:bowdown

Naksh - You and your glass of milk that you take with you everywhere - :rotfl Cute!

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

DNM, Swethashri,

thanks for the lovely pictures. by the way, we too had a parajitha tree near our gate and the ground would be scattered with the flowers. that image is still so vivid in my mind. unfortunately for me, my sense of smell is rather erratic. it is sometimes disappointing - i have a brahmakamal plant which blooms only at midnight (and then only once). i believe it has a lovely smell - so my neighbour tells me. i have tried sticking my nose into it, but to no avail.[​IMG]. i did that a few times to various varieties of roses too to see if it had a scent. all i did was land up with some breathing trouble (probably breathed in the pollen). has been a blessing in the lab though, when handling various samples for testing [​IMG]

but one flower that i never failed to smell was nightqueen. that is one smell i can recognize anywhere.

and at the most unexpected of moments there is this smell of mysore pak wafting through. that is one smell i cannot miss. otherwise the smell of dosas, sambar, rasam and anything to do with gastronomic pleasures have a very beckoning quality.:drool

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011