What percentage of your family's income do you donate to charity each year?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Nov 12, 2007.

What percentage of your family's income do you donate to charity each year?

1. More than 20%

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. 10 to 20%

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. 5 to 9%

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 1 to 5%

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Less than 1%

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Poll for 11th Nov. 2007 to 17th Nov. 2007
    Hello ILites

Whenever we think of Diwali, sweets, crackers and new dresses - is that all that comes to the mind. How many of us have thought of the less privileged people? How many of us are sensitive to the existence of the less privileged people? Do you make any contributions to the old age home or any such charity institutions during Diwali?

Come out, take this week's poll topic and share here your experience of how you make a difference to the society in which you live.

Every year, the school in which my daughters study, collect items like rice, sweets, toys, pencils, usable old clothes, note books etc. for the orphanage. This year too we contributed rice, toys and pencil boxes.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007

2. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear all,
    We have a group who contribute 1 Dirham a day. We don't actually put aside 1 AED per day. But we have a collection box where we drop the sum on New Year/ once in a month/ as it fits you. This money is used to help the needy people especially in India.

Other than this, we, in our family, try to our best to help needy people for education/ healthcare, etc. But we try to make sure (as much as possible) that the money actually reaches the needy person. This is our litmus test for charity.

Regards
    USHA

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Nice poll Laxmi,

Here in the US, more than Diwali, the giving season starts with Thanksgiving and then Christmas. We always donate, non perishable foods like boxes of cereal, rice, beans, canned products etc during thanksgiving. My son's school ( and also most schools and grocery stores) will carry huge bins belonging to specific charities in which these are collected.

During chirstmas, Every mall has a " giving tree" or Wishing tree" . This is a Christmas tree that is sponsored by organistations like the red cross or salvation army etc.... Each tree has 100s of wishes of children in need, as to what they would like as a present for christmas. it is quite heartrending to read some of the wishes there. quite simple ones like a good jacket or sweater for the winter, school supplies etc....
    So i make it a point to atleast( minimum) pick two wishes off the tree and fullfill them.
    And then ofcourse Online contributions to Organistations based in India now and then ( about twice a year).

Not much but we try to do our bit.

Vandhana

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Excellent question. Whatever time of year this can be and should be done. sadly I realise while typing I dont do as much. Hope the good God helps me help others.

5. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

HI Ilites,

It always makes me feel good in donating for the right cause rather than buying expensive gifts for the family members just to keep up the relationship!!!!!

I like to donate for charities especially in India as India gave me the best of education and made me a better decent human being today.
    Though I lived all over the world and the last 17 years in North America, my contributions every year to India mainly to Sivananda ashram, udhvum karangal, lok kalyan samithi and sankara mutt. I strongly feel I have to feed only people who are starving and in India, there is a vast need for education especially among poor girls. Empowering women thro' education makes the country prosper.

Just to let you know.. I sent few cheques for local (US) charities like cancer institute, children aid foundation etc., and God.. I regretted supporting them. Bcos, since the time my first cheque hit one charity organisation, all the other organisations are literally haunting me by sending mails, address lables what not... I had enough of this crap and finally decided to stop sending cheques for any...and the only charity I do here is to buy lot of food for food drive every christmas, thanxgiving, newyear etc.,

I definitely have to thank my hubby as he is really generous in his attitude and made me believe in "the more you give, the more you get". Yes..its definitely true.

Take care,
    Geeth Priya.

6. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

It could be about 10 to 20 percent per year. I do volunteering work for Asha for education, teach a few students, support my maid's family. support some poor children for school fees.We give donations for orphanages, poor feedings and worthy causes. It is all for good and useful purposes. We also run a library for young children in poor schools. It is fun doing that!

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one, Laxmi.
    Eventhough we don't set aside a percentage, we tend to help whenever necessary.
    Usually whenever i go over to India, i give all the used and unused dresses and accessories of my kids and myself, to the orphanage, give donations to the food drive at school for christmas and also food drive through US mail-carrier, etc.

sriniketan

8. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,

I really appreciate that! What with restrictions on luggage weight and lugging things for all and sundry, you take clothes form here and give to people.?. I think that is real good intention. God bless you

9. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I guess I donate around $100-150 per month...to various charities here in the US...to police and fire fighters associations, clothing and other sundry items drives, my univ. alumni association, school supplies for needy kids (I buy the bags you get in Publix)..after having a child, I've started giving money to organizations like cystic fibrosis foundation etc...after suffering in the green card limbo for yrs, have started donating $50 every month to immigration orgs for lobbying purpose (I know it doesnt exactly count towards charity...:-D unless you count it as improving US govt's immigration policy..hence good for the nation..he he), a foster home called Ricky Ark (my company sponsors this every December and all of us donate money and time to it)...and sometimes to ASHA (sponsoring a kid's education).

And I agree with Geeth priya, the number of calls and requests went up dramatically when I first started donating money. So what I do now is give to whomever I have decided to..to the rest I always say "this is not a good time for me". It always works..and the print mail, I can always discard...

love,
    Aarushi

10. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Helo,
    It is not account like percentage. But whenever anybody affected, immediatly my family members hand will be ready to lend a helpinghand by kind and cash.
    viji