1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Movie did you Watch Today????????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Victoryman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Ratchasan

A well researched, wonderful thriller after a long, long time. This is the kind of thriller that you expect from a movie like Imaikkaa Nodigal, which of course fails you with their storyline that lacks creativity or thrill.

Each scenes after the murder makes your heart beat faster. You want to know who is that heartless creature who tortures the innocent girls for no fault of theirs...And when it happens to our Ammu, the pain becomes even more unbearable...you can feel what Vishnu goes through at that point of time.

The movie gives messages without shoving it into our mouth. Sexual abuse in schools, school bullying, we all have heard about it, read about it and know how serious they are but until it happens to one of us, we don't take any progressive steps to prevent it. There was a review i read online where the reviewer asked if bullying can lead to a person to become a psychopaths. Not all bully victims become psychopaths but most if not all psychopaths were once victims of bully and abuse. So yes, it is possible that bully victims can turn to psychopaths especially when they have been gravely affected, physically and mentally due to the bullying.

The movie is not without its flaws. When Christopher's modus operandi is to kidnap the girls after their school, why was Ammu alone kidnapped from her home? That was not explained. And Vishnu being able to think about the psychopath issue because of his constant reading of psycho stories for his movie is understandable...but the fact that he can fight and use the gun like a cop (or even pinpoint that the sexual predator teacher was holding the gun wrongly) is a little too much, especially when he never went for any police training. And when Vishnu was reminiscing the time he held Ammu when she was newly born, he should have been 15 years younger, a teenager himself. But he was shown to be of the same age as his present look. But all that a minor flaws in comparison to the greater things that the film has to offer.

Overall, it was a good yet scary thriller. I don't think I have the guts to watch the film again.

rmpriya likes this.
  2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

U Turn

I wished I had watched the original Kannada version and be done with it. Watching a thriller which turns out to be a ghost hunt is not something that you look up for but at least if the acting was good (I was told that Shradha Srinath did a fabulous job in the original version) the movie watching process would have been tolerable.

Samantha may look the role but she lacks the acting talent to carry the role naturally. At every point of time, you only sense her trying to look good on screen but acting wise she has miles to go. Between Aadhi and Rahul Ravindran, Aadhi was a tad better. He has done the similar soft-spoken good cop role in Eeram so this should have been jujube for him. Rahul on the other hand lacks serious screen presence. He’s missing in half of the film and yet you don’t miss him.

Not a film that I would recommend but it's not that all that bad either.

ILoveTulips likes this.
  3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Saamy 2

Which century is Hari and Vikram living in again??? Completely cliched, intolerably dumb, with zero creativity. A total waste of time, seriously. Vikram has not been giving any good films off late. If he keeps giving dumb films like this for the next few times, he's going to go back to where he was pre-Sethu. Seriously, padathula work panna orutharukumma arivu illai???:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

ILoveTulips likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Saw the village rockstars, a beautiful portrayal and poetry ..nominated for the oscars...

Sofea likes this.
  5. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Loved it sofea. You have beautifully penned it. A lovely analysis. I felt exactly the same. The impact younger Janu and Ram left older Trisha hardly could reach it. Still loved VS acting.

I did watch U Turn in kannada and felt Shraddhas acting much better than Samantha. Original Kannada version was far better

Sofea and ILoveTulips like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Sofea, the movie ratchasan draws inspiration from couple of English horror and thriller movies..

Loved your reviews.. 96 made you feel something was missing inspite of a good story and screenplay..

Sofea and ILoveTulips like this.
  7. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy, heard that Rima Das' recent film, Bulbul Can Sing is even more wonderful than VR. Can't wait to watch it:grinning::grinning:

Shanvy likes this.
  8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Possible Shanvy! It also remind me of a Korean film that I watched years back, Memoirs of a Murder, i think that's the title.

But I like the detailing that they've done in the film. Like the Christopher's character doesn't have 6 fingers in the flashback. When this question was asked, Vishnu tweeted to explain that the flashback was narrated by Radharavi and imagined by Vishnu. Since Radharavi did not know about the 6th finger until before his death, he didn't mention about it to Vishnu, hence that's the reason they decided not to keep the 6th finger in the flashback. These are the depth of detailing and thinking that you expect from a director making a thriller film.

rmpriya and Shanvy like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Sofea i am waiting for bulbul too..

Regarding inspiration they draw a lot from Korean and Japanese for horror and thriller and martial stunts you know where.

But this disguise as woman, I saw the movie a year back can’t remember title.. the same with collecting psychopath stories..there is a movie....

Saw a headline about 96 story issue on my newsfeed..did not delve in.. is it story copywright issues..

10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Sofea,
    I always like to read your movie reviews. I watched 96 last Saturday and loved the pure love shown in the movie.
    True, VS love on Janu is pure and unconditional. Unconditional love always gives happiness to us even that person whom we are loving isn't with us. That's why VS looks calm, peaceful and satisfied with his life without Janu. He has Janu's memories and those are enough for him to live this life normally without regrets.
    he won't marry because he doesn't connect with anyone except Janu. I just love VS's character:)

ILoveTulips and Sofea like this.