1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Movie did you Watch Today????????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Victoryman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

I've been missing out on movies for sometime now. Between hectic workloads and taking care of a 2 year old hyper active toddler, I get very little time for myself. But somehow managed to squeeze sometime off in the past two weeks to watch some movies:-

1) The Lunchbox
    Yes, I'm that late in catching this film...and I regret wasting so much of time of not catching it. It was such an endearing, feel good film. And although I have read the reviews and knew the basic storyline prior to watching, the movie still managed to keep me intrigued throughout. The movie perfectly expressed the loneliness of a housewife who wants nothing but a little appreciation from her loved ones. Nimrat Kaur was so perfect for the role that you can't help but rejoice when she finally decides to leave the lonely life and chase after happiness. And Irrfan Khan, no words is sufficient to praise his flawless acting talent. He was amazing and I can't think of anyone else who could have given the character the dimension which he gave. I also knew that this film was strongly contended to become India's entry for Oscars but lost it to the Good Road. Not sure if The Lunchbox would have won the Oscars but it certainly won my heart over!

2) Puriyatha Puthir
    I love Vijay Sethupathi's acting. I'm talking about in the general sense. I generally love his acting a lot. I find that very few actors are able to get into the skin of the characters they play and change into that character altogether. Vijay Sethupathi is one such actor. I was totally bowled over by his acting in Vikram Vedha to the extent that even the suave, ravishing Madhavan couldn't make me take my eyes off Vijay Sethupathi. I was rooting for Vijay Sethupathi throughout that film. Perhaps because of that, Puriyatha Puthir came in as a little disappointment to me. Vijay Sethupathi had probably chosen to do this film in order to prove that he can do variety of roles. But after watching him doing tough roles with such elan and spontaneity, the role in Puriyatha Puthir seemed so simple and minuscule in comparison. It was not a bad role. It just didn't need a Vijay Sethupathi to do it. Otherwise, the film is an interesting watch with probably a little too much missing gaps. For instance, what was the need for Thilak's character in the film? And it also seems unbelievable that VS and his friends were unable to recognize Gayathri from their college days. Yes, she was probably invisible to their eyes earlier but a major incident happened in their college and Gayathri was the only one closest to the victim. Wouldn't they have at least notice her during and after the incident? Despite all that, it was a decent watch but perhaps I'm expecting too much from VS.

3) Thupparivaalan
    Mixed feelings on this one. I liked the mystery and the manner in which Myskkin unfolds each layers but for some reason, I find that something is missing in the film. The film had shades of Mugamoodi, lots of characters but with very few making an impact. After Nibunan, I'm seeing Prasanna in yet another secondary role. It's quite sad to know that he's been reduced to this state but at least he's still acting in films which is probably what he needs currently. Bhagyaraj (I seriously couldn't recognise him with all that beard) and Simran seemed wasted. Andrea made some impact but the one who gave me a pleasant surprise was Vinay. Not much dialogues yet he could emote the fierce, menacing killer without needing to be loud. As for Vishal- the least said is better. I never liked him. He had never impressed me in any roles and this one was no better. I would have enjoyed the film if anyone else had done it but with Vishal- he seems to awkward and fake.

4) Magalir Mattum
    I watched this film with a very low expectations and yet I was left disappointed by it. A lot of things didn't work in this film for me- Jyothika's character for one. I wonder why people think that only women who wears shirt and jeans, and riding cars and bikes are supposed to be considered liberal? Can't women be independent, liberal and bold while looking demure and lady-like? A lot about Jyothika's character says nothing about the current liberation of women. And the overdose of the so-called women-centric dialogues were just overwhelming and hardly make sense. When Jyothika talks about independence, she associates it not with the ability to go out and work in a career of your choice, not about living the life the way one wishes to, not about travelling around the world as and when one wants to, but her idea of independence is about marrying the man you love and living with him. Like seriously?? So women have gained independence the moment they get to choose their life partner? And that's supposed to be the ultimate guide to liberation, I gather?

Oorvashi, Saranya and Bhanupriya are a delight to watch on screen but nothing is shown to justify why they turned out to be the way they are. Oorvashi brought up a son single-handedly yet she's shown to be scared of everything and naive. Bhanupriya was shown to be bold in her younger days but she turns out to be the most docile one after marriage. And no reasons were given to say why.

In any event this film didn't work for me from the word "go". But I see a lot of good reviews on the net so maybe the film didn't work just for me alone. I don't know.

2. Jessica.sharon

Jessica.sharon Silver IL'ite

I watched SULLY. Ton Hanks gives an awesome performance in that movie which is a true a story. i loved it

3. akhilasri

akhilasri New IL'ite

Yes,Lunch Box is very Good Film

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sofea - Great to see your update after a long long time !

your questions of Magalir mattum are answered by the first 2 lines of your post. No matter how much of a strong hobby you have the "indian mom" within us , stop us from having fun or some time for ourselves. That's exactly what they have portrayed in magalir mattum.

you have brought out some good points of why Jeans and why not other clothes.. from my view I feel being lady-like will stereotype us as just for 'beauty and no brains'. The lead girl is a journalist and does not spend time dressing up. She's ok with whatever.

It was slow and boring. having Jyo call her mother-in-law by name was a bit too much. Calling by name does not represent the MIL to be the "cool" one. Adhu avoid pannirkalaam. I loved the story behind this. Bringing in friends after many years together to spend time for themselves. By doing this they are making the kids / family realize the worth of the 'lady of house' . I feel everyone need this. Its a whiplash on the family to show them that nothing happens without the mom at home, so value her and contribute more to the household chores.

Sofea and poovai like this.
  5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Randoi veduga choodham - Old wine in a new (old) bottle with a small twist near the end.

6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Watched kurangu bommai - 2017, Tamil.

I am still hunted by the events that took place in the movie. Sadistically cruel and violent, is it that simple to dispose a human being in Chennai?

Vidharth talented actor - still didn't get the recognition he deserves in the movie industry.

Nerupuda movie - another bad movie, wasted time/money.

7. vidhyalakshmid

Spyder - Released with tons of expectations. Worst movie in Mahesh Babu`s career. Not impressive Mr.Murugadoss. BGM is another torture. Sorry Hariss Jayaraj. Flash back story of sadistic villain and other stuff did not help to glue with the movie.
    I am a big fan of Maheshbabu. I have repeatedly watched many of his movies. Very much disappointed with this one. His telugu accent Tamil is bothering throughout the movie. Why don`t Murugadoss take more efforts,eventhough he tries to pass on a good message.
    Two songs are melodious and others average.

8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

On the contrary, I quite liked the movie :grin: I'm not a fan of Mahesh Babu but I think apart from the love track, which was rather pathetic to say the least, the movie was pretty decent actually. I like Mahesh Babu. I watched a few films of his in the past. Never regarded him as a good actor but there's always a pleasant feel that he gives, which grows well on you. Here too, he looks really good although his famous stoic expression does get into your nerves at some point. Btw, Rakul Preet Singh, err...how did she even bag this movie??? Yentha angle-la paarthalum, heroine maadhiri theriyalai:facepalm: Barath on the other hand, managed to give me a shock! Not because he's acting in a blink-and-miss kinda role but because he looks bulky and unrecognizable.

But despite all that, I liked the film...the whole psycho thriller, the cat-and-mouse chase between the hero and the villain etc was quite enjoyable and well taken. The climax did get over the top, like all ARM's movies but the stages leading up to it was thrilling. And S.J.Suryah...I can't believe I'm saying this but man, can he act! After Iraivi, this is the second film where I really enjoyed his acting. The psycho character was well brought out by him without getting you irritated. For the first time, I was more glued and eager to watch what was the villain's next step /actions were.

Overall, not a great film and certainly not the best from ARM but pretty decent and watchable

9. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Watched Spyder - pathetic movie
    Ennu Ninte Moideen - a sad love story- Parvathi is such a cute actress
    Watched Mersal - commercial entertainment. Though I like Vijay there were lot of logic loopholes

10. vidhyalakshmid

Kshana kshanam - Ram gopal varma`s movie ok. Sridevi is cute.