1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Movie did you Watch Today????????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Victoryman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

One of the comment on face book about bahubali - 2,

'the movie is about mil and dil fight, ok let us get back to TV serial....'

it's a multi-million $$ epic saga, praising to the level of Hollywood films like 'troy' and someone criticized to the local TV...

I couldn't stop laughing, it is true though, the clash started between 2-women (raja matha and her DIL).

2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Bahubali 2- visual treat with strong lead characters that take you by surprise.

I am actually quite fond of SS Rajamouli's movies. Whether it was the entertaining Vikramarkudu (which I preferred to its loud Tamil remake, Siruthai), the thrilling Magadheera, the joyful Maryada Ramanna and the out of the box Naan Ee, SSR surely knows how to package his films into a complete family entertainer.

Nevertheless, what I never quite like about SSR is his portrayal of his women characters. In most cases, I find them to be quite uninspiring, and often projected to show their skins, sometimes more than necessary. Save for Ramya Krishnan's role, I found that the same tradition continued in Bahubali 1, where Tamannah although initially portrayed as a warrior-sort of heroine, was only remembered more for her backless scene at the end of the day.

Nevertheless, my respect for SSR sky-rocketed after watching Bahubali 2. After a long time, I finally felt amazingly good watching strong female characters in the form of Sivagami and Devasena. Whilst Sivagami was regal and majestic, Devasena was independent, fearless and dignified and it was such a joy to see both these characters create magic on the screen. The courtroom scenes where both these women speak their minds out without any fear are a delight to watch. Not sure why the internet is quick to associate such scenes with typical Tamil serial MIL-DIL fights. All I could see was one woman who was determined to stay true to her promises and another woman who was determined to protect her rights as a woman. Amazingly portrayed and wonderfully enacted by both Ramya and Anushka. No slapstick comedy, no vulgar jokes, and no inappropriate camera focus on women's body parts, Bahubali 2 stood so tall for me due to these reasons themselves.

Although I felt some of its CG are not up to its mark and that the film tended to drag in places, but overall the manner in which each character was crafted made up for the other smaller flaws.

Coming back to Anushka, I must admit that I have never admired an actress as much as I have admired Anushka in this film. In fact I didn't even notice her weight issues in this film (seriously, was she really fat??). She was beauty-personified, if you ask me. Like Sivagami remarked, "Azhage poramai padugira maadiri oru azhagu". And her expressions were flawless. The scene where she keeps her cool when Sivagami's minister taunts her kingdom as " the lucky one" for being chosen amongst all the other bigger kingdoms, and then springs into action with her own strong taunting message was indeed a remarkable scene. So was her flexible moves and archery skills when she partners with Bahubali to get rid of the approaching enemies. At no moment did SSR made Devasena to stand second to Bahubali. He in fact made Devasena to be of an equal standing as Bahubali himself. In fact, in the scene where Bahubali's identity was revealed, every other person including the King and Queen (Devasena's brother and sister in law) would be shown to be bowing down to Bahubali. Devasena alone would stand across him, without winking an eye-lid. That speaks volumes of how strong Devasena is a character.

Prabhas and Rana were fit and perfect for their respective characters. And Sathyaraj was a delight to watch, especially in the first half where he had more screen time and where his comedy timing was used wisely.

I read a small portion of Thamanna's interview where she claimed that the final war scene of Bahubali 2 revolved around her or triggered by her (something to that effect). Even when I read the portion, I was wondering how that is possible. It was clear that the final face-off between Rana and Prabhas would be due to the latter avenging his late father's death and his mom's suffering for the past 25 years. Not sure who gave Thamanna the contrasting idea but she was merely seen in a couple of scenes with hardly any dialogues. So much for being the trigger point in the climax. But I for one was glad to see her in a limited role as she was annoying as hell in the first part.

Apart from Thamanna, the only downside of Bahubali 2 would be the songs. I watched the film twice already and yet I can hardly remember any of the songs. Wished SSR had paid a little more attention to songs and music as he had on the other departments.

That being said, Bahubali franchise worked because of one man who dared to dream big and took all the effort to make those dreams come true. SSR rocks!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Munich is a good movie and is loosely based on the true story. And as geopolitical thriller spielberg delivered it well.

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Boss baby
    Dora
    Sivalinga
    Kawan

5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

8 thottakal in tamil. It was nice .

6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Dora was good , saw last week

7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I watched the Italian crime drama "Gomorrah". It is a TV show, not a film.

8. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

I think I liked part 1 better. In both movies, the first half was more enjoyable. The 2nd half felt dragging and in part 2 they could have cut down on the gore factor. To sit through more than an hour of slaying and bloodshed filled with gore and violence was beginning to feel heavy on the senses. Background music was good.

All in all the whole team has a legacy and will be remembered for a very long time for this movie.

9. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

I think I liked part 1 better. In both movies, the first half was more enjoyable. The 2nd half felt dragging and in part 2 they could have cut down on the gore factor. To sit through more than an hour of slaying and bloodshed filled with gore and violence was beginning to feel heavy on the senses. Background music was good.

All in all the whole team has a legacy and will be remembered for a very long time for this movie.

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame