1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What make people recall their mothers in pain???????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rissy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

Hi people,

I don't know if you find my post useless or weird. But I have thought over it. Maybe not many people have ever consciously thought about it, but it made me think. Maybe you might think that I keep thinking useless or unnecessary things. But just in it triggered my mind and thought of sharing here. :crazy

Have you ever heard of such expressions which often comes out from peoples'/kids' mouth especially in distressing situation or when they are surprised about anything :hide:

Such verbal expressions are - ohhh mamma, ohh mom, aaahh mummy, hai maaa, ooi maa, hai amma, ohhh mai, arre meri maa, :cry:

Sometimes even this type of expressions also come from mouth like - oh jesus, oh god, hei bhagwan, oh brother, arre baap re, but most probably such expressions comes when a person is surprised or amused or sad or bored about anything. :shock:

But when people are in distressing situations, or when they are scared or in severe pain, I have noticed that the above expressions or say mourning of mother comes from mouth. Then it made me think, that what really make people (not just kids even grown adults) recall their mothers when they are in pain. :frown:

We often see kids when they are scared or when they get physically hurt they either scream/mourn their mothers name for eg: 'Oh mamma'. or 'mommy' while crying etc. For eg: When a kid fall down, and he get hurt, immediately a scream comes out of his mouth = moommm, or when the kid is scared, he might mourn or scream in fear - mummaaaa, :eek

But I sometimes even saw adult people doing that too especially when they are in life threatening situation or are in severe pain esp. physical pain. Especially you can see when someone get physically hurt very badly then suddenly a scream or mourn comes from their mouth like 'Oh mom' or 'hai maa'. Some ppl also shout oh jesus. But usually you hear oh maa or oh mummy. This happened to myself too though I am 30. For eg: Sometime i see a bad dream, and then wakes up mourning "mummy' keeping my wrist on my chest. When my father was in pain due to cancer, I often hear mourning from his mouth, arre maa, its paining. When I went to see one relative in hospital, she was in pain, and I hear from her mouth, oh maa, do something for me. She knew her mother was not with her nor she will be coming to help me but still she was mourning like that. I went to artificial scary house in a mall and was so much scared to see ghosts that again my mom's name came out of my mouth but I saw other adult esp. females doing same... I sometimes hear that scream from my mom's mouth too when we were in scary situation once, and just recently my grandmother was admitted to hospital, she was in pain, and I hear mourning from her mouth, "hai baa" "hai baa". (baa means mother in our language). Just recently my mom wasn't in the house and my sister called up her friends, suddenly lights went off and darkness happens in room, and automatically a scream came out of not only mine but my sister's friends mouth too like oouuchhhhh mummy, what happened. Once I hide behind door to surprise my friend, and then as soon as she entered I made a sound to scare her, and she was like ''mummmmmyyyy". I many times hear an expression coming from my mom's mouth like "hai baa" or ohh baa - though she knows that her baa is far away in village and is not coming to help her, but this verbal expressions just comes out from mouth as a form of mourning or when in distressing/scary/or surprising situation. :drowning

I know, such expressions just comes out of mouth, maybe nobody might have think about it conciously, but I thought that even adult people who aren't physically present with their mothers or they know that their mother may not able to do magic and save them from distressing situations, still when someone is in trouble, pain or scary or life threatening situation, just unconciously, they recall their mothers, or as if deep down they wish that their mothers comes and save them from situations. Usually kids but also adults scream/mourn "Oh mom" or "hai maa" or "mummmmy" but how many times you hear "oh dad" or "oh granny". Why usually ppl recall their moms in distressing situation? :help

2. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Re: What make people recall their mothers in destressing situations

I guess we say so becoz it was our mom who gave us comfort and took care of us when we were small and needed her..This habit of ours continues even though we have grown up now and are well aware that she is not around us.

3. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

May be it is like .. Deep down in the heart we know that mother is always there for us at any point of time and whatever we does she is going to love us the same.. So just calling out "ma" also helps us in that tough times and we may have some feel like having some support and we may feel lik her presence who can bear the pain & emotion...

Good thought you have come across and also you have put it well in writing..

4. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

Re: What make people recall their mothers in destressing situations

What you say is I know. I mean I already know the answer to my question. Yes, our mother was the one who took care of all our needs and gave us comfort as an infant, but even when we are bigger or adult, its like we still unconciously recall her and deep down feel like she will still comes and solve our distress magically. Isn't it surprising???

5. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

That feeling as an infant or as an toddler, that mom has all the solution to all problems, she has all the medicines to all pain, I will cry and she will be there for me to comfort me, that she will be present on hearing our cry!!!!! How all that become programmed in our brains that like even as an adult without our mothers being physically present around her or even when our relation with her might have spoiled, its deep down still in distressing situations as a form or scream or mourn as if she will come and save us from the situation.

6. virilevisu

virilevisu Senior IL'ite

because mother love is unconditional..... and mom is the first god.. first teacher .. what not.. and she is the one who brought you to this nasty world.. isnt it???

Also mother is synonymous to Caring..... so whenever you are in trouble.. obviously you look around someone to take care.. and the first one is mommy.....

7. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

There, exactly the words I was searching for but couldnt get the correct ones...the above post describes it perfectly