1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of tawa is ideal for making roti/chapathi?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by maroon, Jul 5, 2012.

1. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Hi friends, I am using a (once!) non-stick tawa (Futura brand) for making chapathi/dosa. Now its no more non-stick and worse still the edges of the tawa are rough and retain oil from the previous cooking (no matter how well it is washed!) and when I want to make a fresh batch of oil-less rotis, the oil sediments mess up the corners of the roti and I need to cut them away. This is disgusting and has been happening since a week and I realize I need to change the tawa.

My MIL uses a very old heavy tawa which is really good but she tells me new tawas would take time to give similar results!

Can you please tell me what kind of tawa is best suited for rotis and dosas? Is there a specific brand to go for (if it is non-stick). Please help, I need to change mine at the earliest.

2. pallavik96

pallavik96 New IL'ite

I am using the Dilash Brand as roti tawa...its k...But ur MIL uses that heavy bottom one...thats a new one..whenever i try to make chappati in that,my rotis get burn...How to stop this? What is the correct process of making roti in that heavy tawa...Please help me...

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I use a prestige non-stick.. when my dosa tava is more than a year old, i use it for making rotis/parathas ..and get a new one for dosa. do not use the same for both..

and the oil sediments do not go away by washing..you need to take some extra effort to clean.. when the tava is hot from your cooking, use a soft cloth or tissue and wipe hard at the residue..it comes off (if it just a coating once swipe..) but if it more, do the same three or four times.. your edges of the tava is clean..

and now was the tava normally..

2 people like this.
  4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I use Iron tava to make both chapathi and dosa...

1 person likes this.
  5. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Now a days we get a tawa without any edge support.. say prestige brand.. try that..

6. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Dear Pallavi, I didn't get you. Did you mean your MIL uses a new heavy bottom one? Because, I meant to say my MIL uses an old tawa.
    As for rotis getting burnt, it must be due to excessive heat, so we need to make sure that the tawa heat is controlled every now and then. But again, my question is which tawa and I am also looking for answers :)
    So does Dilash work fine for you?

7. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the tips Shanvy. I also need to get a dosa tawa, so I'll think about Prestige as you suggested.
    But I need one for rotis right away, and nonstick doesnt seem to be the right option... I'll probably give it a try and clean my tawa as you suggested and maybe I can keep that for rotis.. If that doesnt work I'll look for other options.

8. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Thanks vjbunny.

How old is your tawa? If I buy an iron one, can I use it right away? Because my MIL says it takes quite some time for the tawa to become seasoned and usable.

9. deepa10

deepa10 Gold IL'ite

Yes, it takes quite some time because I got a new one for making dosa after my marriage and it took some two weeks for me to use the iron tawa. I was making only dosa out of it. May be, as shanvy suggested, you can use your current dosa tawa for making roti and use the new iron tawa for making dosa's. Though it takes some time it gives a better result in some time. Now a days I am getting real crisp dosas.

10. pallavik96

pallavik96 New IL'ite

Dear Pallavi, I didn't get you. Did you mean your MIL uses a new heavy bottom one? Because, I meant to say my MIL uses an old tawa.
    As for rotis getting burnt, it must be due to excessive heat, so we need to make sure that the tawa heat is controlled every now and then. But again, my question is which tawa and I am also looking for answers :)
    So does Dilash work fine for you?

I m using a new heavy bottom tawa