What Is Your Recent Achievement In Personal Development?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jskls, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

One general question to all. In terms of personal development what did u achieve in recent years ? How hard was the struggle and what were the measures / steps you took to work towards your goal. It can be anything simple or complex.

Share your thoughts!

jasmine25, maggi32, periamma and 6 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP goes from one end of the spectrum (stupidest thing you did) to other (achievement in personal development). : )

Went from 4-6 cups of tea/coffee everyday to 1-2 every weekend. After a few sincere yet half-hearted attempts quit cold turkey one resolute Monday morning. Had the mother of all headaches for a week. The exercise and healthy eating posts in IL also inspire or shame me into sticking to the resolution.

Does such abstinence from beverages count? If not here is another entry for the awards: learnt a new work related skill. Measures/steps taken: paid to learn. Hard to take it seriously if not.

anika987, momsky, Amica and 8 others like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Anything and everything counts ! Kudos to you for achieving this. I still have 4-5 cups of coffee/tea with milk/sugar.

When we can share silly moments I thought why not some proud moments too ? It could help someone who is struggling to achieve the same.

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

We are sharing this Award.
    I'm also learning a new work related skill. Paid from pocket to learn. Had to take it serious because the new boss isn't happy with my current skill :D:D

anika987, maggi32, Amica and 4 others like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Ma'am and now how about attending to the OP goes first protocol? :wink:
    Good girls we are.

Amica, GoogleGlass, kaniths and 2 others like this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Mine - Anger management - Is this Personal development? I don't know

Life's challenges brought out the worst in me. I knew I had to work on my anger but I failed miserably. No amount of yoga meditation talking with trusted friends reading different books or even change in certain habits helped. I was almost giving up on myself when this wonderful friend offered me help. I was taught acceptance and learned to let go. Slowly but steadily I made progress. I am no longer that mad person anymore. I still get reasonably angry but is manageable.

Today I am happy and grateful to my friend for helping me through this. I am a better person than I was few years before.

penpaal, momsky, maggi32 and 10 others like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Cool ... Thats awesome! Should get tips from you. How did you find time and interest to achieve this ?

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I had worked on getting a perfect [work in progress... this perfecting thing] Madras filter coffee at home. Buy green beans online, roast to a specific level of one-crack-plus, and then mix arabica and pea-berry in a set ratio, mix some chicory with the beans, grind to a fine powder, and then brew the coffee in a stainless steel filter (made in Vietnam). Enough decoction for 3 cups. Two of them to drink together, and one drunk by myself after sending off the working stiff.

The achievement is to train the early riser to make the coffee, so that I can stay in bed another 30 minutes, and get it served to me.

I had read @Rihana posting what marriage vows are in another thread, and in practice it all boils down to allowing someone at home to read all your forum messages... appreciate, and ROFL...
    "Conversations and jokes together, mutual rendering of good services, the reading together of sweetly phrased books, the sharing of nonsense and mutual attention".-- Robertson Davies, The Cornish Trilogy

9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Salute.
    Sigh, I have to do this. And the fact that I do not suffer any headaches/lethargy when i stop , so making it easier for me to actually stop . Did once a couple of years ago for around 6 months. And then had occasionally, and then not sure when, I started the regular must have morning cuppa of tea. And it has been on my mind for a while now to stop.Got to start this from today.

Thanks @jskls for starting this thread m'am.
    And thanks to @Rihana for sharing .

maggi32, Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely. The only times I abstained from caffeine was during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Oh and in India, I was made to drink filter coffee after delivery. God knows for what but I didn't ask questions. Neighbor's Mom said it's good for new moms twice a day. I agreed enthusiastically :)