1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Your Dream????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Really loved your kiddo's innocent not yet corrupted by peer pressure or parental wishes dreams @SGBV.

Would i be ok with garbage cleaning as a career not sure but have accepted when the kids did it as a part of social work.

Coming to accepting the kid's choice of career and dreams we did. It was easy for me. Well it is a known story.

But i do understand the difficulty to control yourself from choosing or worrying or trying to dissuade them.

My son has a roommate who dropped out of engg 2nd year to pursue physics.

We will stumble, be confused, be worried but will ensure that our kids are happy with thier choices. All the best

SGBV likes this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

SGBV- Kids go through the phase when they want to be whatever they have recently watched/ experienced. My son (4) wants to be a truck driver/constructor worker/ engineer/pilot/ firefighters- depending on his mood. We don't really make a big deal out of it.
    What if he decides to be a construction worker or a fireman- I don't know if I will be comfortable. I would definitely help him try different things, expose them to different career choices and at the end of the day he still would want to be a construction worker, well, there is not much we can do. I would be happy for him, I guess.
    I know several professors whose kids decided to choose very different career paths, some are successful and some are not. We actually had a hypothesis that the kids of scientist parents in most instances decide on humanity or arts careers.

SGBV likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

One of my graduate students left his lucrative career as a Chemical engineer to pursue his dream to be a biologist. Another person I know left her job as a financial analyst and decided to be a children's book author. Never know even if we push the kids to do something, they will keep doing it.

SGBV likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@SGBV,

Congratulations for your post being nominated to the FP section by @Rihana. That gave me a wonderful opportunity for me to read your thoughts.

All children watch around the functions of every person they come across and sometimes, depending on how they work and interact motivates children more than others. That is why learned people always suggested that the parents should be careful in their conduct as children emulate them a lot. However, it is my honest view that every life comes into existence with its own agenda and sometimes, they match with the parents' profession and other times, it doesn't.

Besides, whatever they say at the young age doesn't become their ultimate ambition either. They say such things to express themselves and we can use that as a teaching opportunity to teach them life lessons.

My son when he migrated to the US at the age of 7, he saw around a number of people. Initially, he wanted to become a truck driver, then a firefighter, then a cop, then a pilot and then meteorologist. Every time he suggested something like that, I sincerely told him all the pros and cons of each responsibility and what it would take to become one. Eventually, when he got into the high school, he talked a lot of either becoming an Engineer or get into Music. I realized his passion is on both and stressed the need to focus on one and do the other on the side. He choose to learn musical instruments on the side and chose to become an Engineer.

Even when he studied, he was not sure of what is the right specialization until after a few years. Finally, he chose Mechanical Engineering undergrad. He chose Heat Transfer (part of Mechanical Engineering) as his Graduation and finished it. After that he switched over to do Ph.D. in Computational Fluid Dynamics (Mechanical Engineering). After he grew up, I pretty much left him to choose on his own and kept track of what he was trying to accomplish. He shares most of them freely with me whether I understand them completely or not.

What I am always opposed to is parents forcing the children to choose the parent's profession even if they have other interest. I know so many children who have ruined their lives because of such social pressure. But some children had natural flair in the parent's profession and succeeded.

With your guidance and support, I am sure your children will do great.

Viswa

soulful likes this.
  5. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

SGBV - I had similar revelations about myself recently. Dignity of Labor, what we think and what we do, are completely different

If you get time read this - Would You Do It?

My dream started off as a teacher to a journalist to a CPA. Never became a teacher or a journalist. CUrrently a homemaker, efforts on, to be a CPA.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    SGBV likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

My latest dream: To be born a male with sufficient (I don't say loads) of money - enough to take me on a backpacking trip round the world reasonably safely. Just been watching a vlog of a German guy backpacking around the world. Three reasons why this has to remain a dream:

1. Too late to back pack now :confused: Is it ever too late to do anything? Well, I guess it is for me.
    2. Even if it weren't too late, maybe I'd need a little more of money to carry me through. I don't know whether Indians can legally pluck apples to earn their food for the day.
    3. I'd better be a male if I want to travel through some of the countries in the world!

Of course, I don't know whether my dream will ever be realized - do I get to be reborn and then as a human being???:facepalm:

SGBV likes this.