1. Shlokas for all Purposes : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Finest Posts August 2016 Nominations: Share your Favorite Posts
    Dismiss Notice

What is the significance of lighting lemon/lime deepams?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Hema27, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Hema27

Hema27 New IL'ite

At the usual temple I visit, the priest asked me to light 2 lemon lamps in front of Deity Durga on every Tuesdays for 9 weeks continuously. I know that some people do it for ragu kaalam, but he didn't say anything about that.
    I have been doing it for 8 weeks in a row and my 9th week is coming up.
    I'm really happy that without any disturbances I manged to light lemon lamps for 9 weeks, or else if there was any disturbance in the middle you would have to start all over again.

I didn't ask the priest to give me a proper explanation regarding this, he said its good to do this for Durga for 9 weeks.
    Has anyone did this for 9 weeks? what is the significance behind lighting lemon lamps for Durga for 9 weeks (on Tuesdays).

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Hema,

U can mostly see that Goddess Durga wears a Lemon garland..she is also called as Ugra Devi and hence for cooling her and to get her blessings,we put lemon garland and also light the lamp with lemon...
    I think this is reason to light lemon vilakku and also to give lemon garlands to durga..
    I have also made the lemon garland and gave to Godess for 8 or 9 continuous weeks and that too there was some particular number of lemons that need to be used to make the garland...and yes i was able to see the difference...there was great benefit

i got this from internet...hope this is useful

ராகுவின் அதிதேவதையாக காளி விளங்குவதால், செவ்வாய், வெள்ளி, ஞாயிற்றுக்கிழமைகளில் ராகு காலத்தில் எலுமிச்சை விளக்கு ஏற்றி திருமணத்தடை விலக கன்னியர்கள், வாலிபர்கள் வேண்டுகின்றனர்

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. Hema27

Hema27 New IL'ite

that sounds very helpful,

but everyone says its mostly for Ragu, but I don't know if I have dat problem or not. I haven't checked my astrology yet. But randomly I'm putting lemon theepam for Durga at the Temple.

Since today is my last week, I'm happy that I made it without any thadangal (distruption). And I'm hoping for some relief in my life, since I have been through a lot for the past 9 months.

Thanks.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hope all ur worries end soon
    All the best