1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is the real meaning of marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kcb, Feb 7, 2016.

1. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

If we have to ask the question now as to what is the meaning of marriage, it is mostly because somewhere a doubt lingers at the back of our minds that it is a meaningless ritual atleast in today's context. But we also prefer to be in our comfort zone. And most of us are afraid to venture out unlike the west or do it in hiding. It is quite possible that many of the dreams promised by marriage is undermined by the very institution of marriage itself.

1 person likes this.
  2. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

We have to keep an open mind even to find the real aim of marriage. What is it's underlying purpose? Why not we consider other means to ensure these purposes are fulfilled through more reliable means? Why keep whipping the poor horse called marriage again and again? It can do only this much and no more. Leave it alone and search for more effective ways to fulfill the promises of marriage through alternative means. Evolution is the need of the hour.

This is a universal problem!!
    Please see this --
    Cancel Marriage: Merav Michaeli

3. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

3 people like this.
  4. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Very enlightening thread and what variety of opinions!

To me, marriage is the mating of two individuals. This used to be with opposite sexes, but is now accepted for same sex too. ( I wonder what kind of in law issues these marriages have) This is the most underlying principle. Rituals are there to sanctify and legalize it.

All religions, all cultures, however primitive or modern have some ritual associated with this. Birth, Marriage and death are three milestones recognized in each culture.

This denotes that all cultures recognize there is a sexual need in the young generation and it should be channelized properly. According to Manu there are 8 kinds of marriages and not all of them visualize a permanent bond.

Today's marriages are more for legal reasons and heirs. Permanency should not take over compatibility and pleasure. I have known marriages that lasted for 60 years, and the couple were not on talking terms for 40! Previously women stayed in the relationship not only because of tradition, also because they were not financially independent and had nowhere to go. It is not so today. That is why there are so many breakups which may not be a bad thing !

Thyagarajan and periamma like this.
  5. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Yes, I have seen many such marriages where given a chance the spouses would run away from each other. Basically the very ritual of a marriage is needed only because it is unnatural and the society has to be "regulated" owing to historic reasons. Whether these conditions still exist is a moot point. Circumstances have now changed and whether we like it or not marriages will never be the same if they continue to exist. Reluctance and delayed age in getting married are sure signs that the "hallowed" institution is cracking!
    "By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

@Iniyaasri,

May be i took it in a wrong way....sorry for the misunderstanding.....

No hard feelings please.....

7. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

There is nothing to have hard feelings!! It all happens!! :) friendssmileyhugsmiley

8. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

9. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Few lines from 'Veronika Decides to Die' - Paulo Coelho
    "And one day some guy will ask me to marry him. He'll be nice enough. That'll make my parents very happy. The first year we'll make love all the time, and in the second and third less and less. But just as we're getting sick of each other, I'll get pregnant. Taking care of kids, holding onto jobs, paying mortgages, It'll keep us on an even keel for a while. Then about ten years into it he'll have an affair because I'm too busy and I'm too tired. And I'll find out. I'll threaten to kill him, his mistress... myself. We'll get past it. A few years later he'll have another one. This time I'm just going to pretend that I don't know because somehow kicking up a fuss just doesn't seem worth the trouble this time. And I'll live out the rest of my days sometimes wishing my kids could have the life that I never had. Other times secretly pleased they're turning into repeats of me. I'm fine. Really."
    This should sum it up.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    15 Disturbing Truths About Marriages You Never Want To Hear
    1. Who answers the doorbell will probably lead to more fights than anything else
    2. The sex really slows down after just one year of marriage. And eventually diminishes!
    3. One of the partners in the marriage will outlive the other.
    4. You’ll soon tend to lose your individuality.
    5. And you’ll start to think alike eventually, whether you like it or not.
    6. You can never have the same love for your in-laws as you have for your real family members.
    7. The very things which you used to find adorable in your spouse will start to annoy you the most.
    8. No matter how perfect your marriage is, on somedays you’ll think that you’d have been better off if you hadn’t gotten married at all.
    9. If you thought taking permission to go out from your parents was tough, try marriage!
    10. It’s not something you can just opt out of just like that.
    11. Someone’s company 24X7 can annoy the crap out of you!
    12. It takes two committed people to make a marriage work. But it takes only one to end it.
    13. Happily ever after is a myth.
    14. It is the biggest gamble of your life and there’s no guarantee if you’ll sail through it.
    15. It’s actually neither a bed of roses, nor a way full of thorns. It’s almost boring yet comforting.
    Source : Explore Quotes

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

It is interesting to note that a much wider and general term "partner" (someone who you live with and have a sexual relationship with - Macmillan) is used for spouse (a husband, or a wife) these days!