1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Easiest Way To Prepare Formula Milk On The Plane ?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Avanti30, May 3, 2017.

1. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

HI,
    I and my husband are taking our 4-month-old dd to India on a long haul flight. My dd is on formula now I was researching on how to prepare the formula and feed my baby with less mess and prepared in less time on the plane.
    I selected 2 options
    1) take 6-8 bottles and add premeasured formula. When baby needs milk just add water and give her. With 6-8 bottles I do not need to wash them on the plane I can wash on the airport in the layover time between the stops.
    2) take playtex drop ins bottles with drop ins. No need to wash bottles but need to prepare formula in a separate flask and then add into the bottle. In preparing formula separately I fear what if I spill or make a major mess while being up in the air. How about if I go to airhostess's station and prepare formula there ? I am allowed to do that ?

My question is which option do you suggest is to be less messy and prepared in less time when on the plane? If you know any other option, please suggest.
    Another question is related to formula dispenser.
    Is there any spoon available to measure the formula in formula dispenser or I am being silly (because you measure the formula and put it into the dispenser, so what is the need to measure the already measured formula)?
    The reason I ask this question is because, say suppose I carry 6 ounces of formula in each compartment of dispenser sometimes babies may not need complete 6 ounces, they may need 4 or 2 ounces only.
    Please suggest.

Last edited: May 3, 2017

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Look into travel packs- formula-- Usually, they are pre- measured formula. You just need warm water add the pre- measured formula and shake it well.
    Amazon.com: Enfamil Infant Baby Formula - 17.6g Single-Serve Packets - Powder (16 ct): Health & Personal Care
    I would carry 6-8 bottles, so you wont need to wash repeatedly.

If you have a child, you will be given the first preference to board the flight- in that time talk to your hostess that you may repeatedly show up at the hostess station, coz you are in need to make formula. Usually, they will allow you to be at the hostess station when they are not serving.

Hope this helps

Avanti30 likes this.
  3. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot @blindpup10 . I got some confidence after reading your reply

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

I did Option 1. I got a formula dispenser with 3 compartments. I filled that before hand and just added to the bottle. I also carried a thermos flask with warm water. I took 6 bottles too. But unforeseen incident is baby might not take a bottle after it is prepared ;)
    So i still had to wash my bottles at airports.
    Then I thought maybe playtex liners would have been better.
    The airhostess even helped me with warming up my bottles. So that's good.

sindmani and Avanti30 like this.
  5. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

I carried formula dispenser and also carried an additional small formula pack just in case flight gets delayed or something. I took a flask which I handed over to air hostess as and when needed. I did take the playtex liner but did not end up using them.I stuck with washing the bottles as often as needed. Also I switched to using the basic bottles with just nipple piece not the Dr brown version which have additional parts to be washed .

Enjoy your trip .

Avanti30 likes this.
  6. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

The easiest is probably using one of those Ready to Feed formula bottles and nipples.

I did #1 before, even prefilled each bottle with water but the security at LAX made me empty each one of them. I don't know if they were just ignorant or if this is always the case in every American airport.

blindpup10 likes this.
  7. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Buy some ready to drink similac formula bottles. You can give it during night journey and in morning you can use formula powder .

Avanti30 likes this.
  8. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

Thank you girls

9. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I have experienced this too- Of course not with my kid. In SFO I was asked to drink water or throw the water bottle coz it was exceeding the ml limit.
    Sometimes during layover different country has different rules- even if it's as basic as milk.
    Especially in the current political situation and airlines being rude to people. It's better to be well prepared.

@Avanti30 -another suggestion- Maybe its far fetched ideas---call the airline and talk to them about using hostess station or anything else you have on mind. Customer service should be able to answer all the question.

Avanti30 likes this.
  10. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Yes, only 100ml is allowed for liquid unless it is infant milk or formula water (isn't this the standard for each country). Mine was so obvious though and my boys were only 2 1/2 yr and 1 month old then, it was a nightmare. Other than this, the LAX employees and few Americans were quite helpful during my layover (way better than Canadians).

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    blindpup10 and Avanti30 like this.