What is Shastram?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Iam back

Dear Chitra,

Very nice explanation in a very simple manner about shastrams. Interest to know vedas is increasing day by day by your posts. During my shcool days i have read Ramayana and Mahabharatha. We have so many books in our house Gita, ramayana, mahabharatha, skanda puranam, siva puranam and so many. all my father's collections. he read all books, and he also asked us to read those...on seeing that Gita book we said we couldnot read this much big book of gita, then he bought a small book which summarizes gita but i didn't read that too.....at that time we(my sisters and me) were not interested. but now your each and every post makes me to get more interst towards vedas. now iam very much interested to read these books,
    so i have planned to get some books when i come to india next.

regards,
    surya.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I did miss you, Surya, believe me !

It is nice to know that you are enjoying the vedanta posts.
    Gradually, I want to start writing about Gita, the values, the charm, appeal etc.
    Pray God that the going should be good & it should be well received !
    Thanks for your F B, Surya !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,

Stunned with the informations you have given. Amazing threads. I have a doubt Madam. I have heard that we are not suppose to recite Garuda Puranam at home regularly like how we recite other puranams. If it is true then how can one know about Garuda puranam. Please clarify my doubt.
    Love,
    Meenakshi

4. Chitvish

It is customary not to recite Garuda Puranam at home, That is supposed to be less auspicious because it deals with post-death informations.
    In many houses after a demise, it is read on 13th day..
    Let us learn all puranams other than that, first!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey CHitu

Good explanation.
    But we hear people often say "This is written in the shastram". And very interesting, different people say different things. When they say Shastram, do they mean the Sutras and Smritis ? If so, how can it be different to difft people.

thanks
    Ramya

6. Chitvish

The interpretation is made differently to suit their theories & circumstances!! Not to forget, how they like to do!
    Love,
    Chithra.