What is Shastram?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Superb Introductions

Dear Ms C,

Another superb piece about our Shastrams. Yes indeed who needs Walt Disney when we have our very own Epics and other stories. My older one ( Anirudh) grew up on Ramayanam and Mahabharatam and even today,he prefers these to all the Walt Disney animations!!.

Now a question, I have heard of the various puranas, smritis , but not the Sutras that you have mentioned here. "We have Dharma-sutras, Srauta-sutras and Grhya-sytras written by Rishis." Could you elaborate more on these when you have time.

Thanks and looking forward to next week.

Vandhana

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Your post really touches me, Kamla !

I am glad that you are able to appreciate culture & vedanta related topics so much. I can make out that you not only read them but undestand them. Otherwise you cannot explain it to your friends.
    Swami Dayananda generally quotes a lot from Gita.
    The simple word for atma is consciousness. Atma means "self" and the body is "anatma" or non-self. Well, let me not confuse you now. I do plan to write about atma, but I am literally & mortally scared whether such words will drive away everyone from me & this forum!
    All praise to my Guru who repeatedly insisted that I should start writing about vedanta.
    Once again, I thank you, not because you praise me, but because you show so much of interest in these topics.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

I wish to share, what little I know, Vandhana !

Sutras codify the contents of all the four vedas. Here the vedic teachings are well codified and arranged to clearly indicate the duties of a Brahmachari, a grahastha, a vanaprastha and a sanyasi. They also enumerate the duties of all four varnas. For the sake of easy remembrance, all these are presented in a sutra form - a terse form called an aphorism. A profound idea is stated in a short form so that people can learn these easily by heart. We must remember, they did not have literature in written form. Either they did not write it out or the facilities were not available at that time. All vedas & sutras were chanted from memory.
    You must have heard of Bharadwaja sutram, Bodhayana sutram, Apasthamba sutram, to mention a few. Each family lineage comes under one such sutras.
    My knowledge of sutras does not extend beyond this.
    You will have a break in vedanta postings. Next week, I plan to post Kubaera Mahalakshmi Puja on thursday - one can perform it on Deepavali evening. The thursday after that, I will post the significace of deepavali. In between I plan to post on Yama deepam to be done on the previous day.
    I am trying my best to introduce varieties to keep you all glued to my column - ha ha ha !
    Thankyou for the lovely F b . Every vedanta posting does create a mild flutter in me whether it is easily undestandable to everybody.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I am excited.

Dear Chitra,
    Read your replies just now. Your answer to Vandhana was very interesting and there is so much to learn. I am excited to read about all the forthcoming posts of you. I am looking forward to it eagerly...all in time for Deepawali.
    Please please do not have any reservations about your Vedanta threads and other info you are giving in this forum. Some of us are really excited and most of us are learning a great deal in its simplest format, thanks to you.
    It is NOT boring, it is NOT confusing! Besides, if we are confused or can't understand, you are always there to answer our queries. So where is the problem. Keep going at full throttle...we are waiting:)

L, Kamla

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Right to the core

Dear Mrs C,
    You have done it again this week. Your explaination on shastram is perfect. I always got it confused with conventions. I did know that there were the four vedas etc. But you have summarised it as Suthras,Puranas, Smrithis,etc. I had to read it several times to internalise it. Well that's the way the subject is. Can't wait for next week. Keep up the good work Mrs C. BTW does Veda in anyway play a role in olden days to maintain the hirerachy of people? I would appreciate it if you can educate me in this.
    Love,

6. Chitvish

Thankyou, Radha !

The four vedas are, Rig, Sama, Yajur & atharva vedas. They form the primary literature.
    What you have mentioned are secondary literature.
    I do not understand what you mean by hierarchy of people. If you mean varnasrama scheme, yes, it is the vedic scheme of life.
    Varna scheme is the scheme for the maintenance of social harmony.
    Ashrama scheme takes care of the peace and progress of an individual.
    Thankyou for the deep interest you are showing in this thread.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Sorry I was not clear

Dear Mrs c,
    Yes that is what I meant. Thanks for clearing my doubt. Now it makes sense to me. I am able to put things together. In those days things did make a lot of sense didn't they when you look at their perspective.? Can't wait for next Thur until then have a good one.
    Love,

8. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

shasthram

Dear Mrs.chitra,

Thanks for providing us with invaluable material. It is such a pleasure to read your work. Sharing this knowledge is such a noble thing and also you should have a special talent to express yourself clearly.

I am interested in knowing where I can buy a copy of Paramacharya's Deivathin kural in English?

Thank you.

Radha

9. Chitvish

Thankyou, very much Radha !

I am very happy, that you enjoy reading these postings as much as I enjoy writing them !
    Deivathin Kural 1 st & 2 nd volumes together are available in English in the name of The Hindu Dharma published by Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan. But if you can read tamil, there is nothing like buying all the 7 volumes of D K in tamil.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

thanks,Mrs.C

Thanks and that was a prompt reply.

Radha