1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is New?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Indian Test Team was under pressure to win the final test against Australia at Mohali as they won all the previous series in India against New Zealand, Bangladesh and England. In that critical juncture, the Indian team decided to include Kuldip Yadav in the final eleven and gave him the Indian cap in a small function. However, there was a major crisis right after he came out to receive the cap. He was beardless. It is almost an unwritten code of conduct that a member of Indian Test Cricket Team member should have a beard. I was wondering whether BCCI seriously considered hiring a postiche for Kuldeep Yadav to wear for the duration of the test.

Right after I joined Indus Ladies after repeatedly checking with my wife whether men can be a member of IL, I happened to visit Chennai for a vacation. I scheduled a meeting with Cheeniya Sir and when I met him for the first time, I thought I have violated a code of conduct of IL by not having a beard. He smiled ear to ear sporting a nicely-trimmed beard upon my arrival at his residence. I know the two G’s (Kamalji & Balajee) are always rebels against any code of conduct and hence may or may not have beard. GG will never reveal his identity leave alone posting his bearded face on IL. I have not seen photographs of any other male members of IL. I was reluctant to ask Cheeniya Sir whether I was qualified to be a member of IL but since he didn’t object to my appearance, I assumed it as tacit approval.

Until my son was in the school, I had total control over his hair on the head as well as the face but after he left to live alone for his undergrad, I formally lost control. The very first time, he visited us after moving over to his University, he came with long dreadlocks. When my wife was under a state of shock, I asked him how did his hairstylist managed to create that hairstyle. He told that he worked hard on his hairstyle and to me it looked like hair that was sprayed with salt and pepper. He remained that way until his undergrad and his US passport came for renewal in 2009. He used his passport size photograph with dreadlocks. After some time, he got frustrated with the maintenance of his hair and perhaps, it was very itchy as well and he decided to make a clean short hairstyle. He remained that way throughout his graduation. When we visited India and returned to the US, immigration officers were looking at him and his passport 4-5 times to make sure he is the same person. Thank God, his sense of humor helped him to enter the United States.

Now he has decided to have a clean-shaven head and a nicely-trimmed beard for his Ph.D. program. When my wife asked me, what was the rationale for his decision, only thing I can utter was either he was losing his hair in the head and trying to compensate with facial hair or he liked to have fresh air to his head as it was overheating in his research program. He looks like Hasim Amla, the South African cricketer now. Whenever my wife asks me to tell him not to make too many changes in his personal appearances, I told her to thank her stars as he was not going in for a spider Tattoo in his neck or for a Hip Hop Canary & Blue single ear-stud.

The parents who are worried about their children leaving their nest and you would be missing them, be aware that it would be the least of your problem going forward. Assume your son or daughter is in school when your call goes into voice mail for your own satisfaction. Learn to read abbreviated text messages. It is always going to be you, who would call your son/daughter and he/she would return your call at a date and time convenient to him/her. If he/she calls to let you know that he/she is planning to be home for holidays or weekends, assume that they have back to back appointments with his/her old friends or shows or sports program to attend. Learn to fix a date with your adult children for lunch or dinner if you need to talk something serious. It is in your own interest not to be friends with your adult children in Facebook.

If he/she doesn’t respond to more than one calls, assume that either he/she lost the phone or it ran out of battery. Sometimes, he/she may be sleeping at daytime after 3-4 sleepless nights. If you were used to your adult children going to bed early, be prepared for them to return home at around 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. and sleep until 10 a.m. Mostly, your adult child would eat outside and continue to prepare food only for yourself and your spouse.

Note: If you miss the spiritual content in this post, please assume this post is an effort to prepare the parents of adult children to learn to accept the life as it happens.

AnooSA, satchitananda, jssd and 10 others like this.
  2. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

With mixed thoughts I read your post and found it hilarious. Recently someone was mentioning that new tamil movie's clean shaved army face hero was cute. Can everyone who takes of mustache become that hero ? There's a new style here among girls its flouroscent highlights with mixed streaks Or they would close cut just one section of their head or wicked swirls as long as someone has hair over the head or on the face they can style it as they please and tatoos that goes with those hairstyles are mind blowing.... its one life after all. Enjoyed reading ur snippet

3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa uncle,

As soon as I have seen your post , I was ready with pen and paper to write down points so that I can understand better. When I read the post you bowl over me. It was funny but it is true. My seven year old still to date cry when I take him for hair cut. But he wants to apply hair gel as his class mates are doing. I said big NO. The younger one doesn't complain and he likes the hair cut and he is only 5. I wonder what I am going to do when both come with their own styles in future. I am laughing imaging that right now but I do not know how will I react at that point of time. In the mean time, I am seriously thinking what should I do with my rapidly increasing grey hairs and I am sure they are representing my rapidly increasing intellectual too:thumbup:
    I really enjoyed reading this uncle.

Warm regards,
    Vani

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra tell me about it. I have all the woes of seeing all that you described. the spritz hair and the beard that almost covers the face of my ds who studies at uni away from home. Mom, I have no time. Mom I am growing it with love. Mom I need the beard for a skit we are performing. It is just first year and by the he finishes PhD I am sure he would do the Same look that your son sports now owing to hereditary of receding hairlines and baldness . And this post of your brings a little solace that my young man is not alone and I am not the only Mom who looks at his him wondering "what happened to my son"
    @Cheeniya and his beard look tell me about it.

Is that a Srichakram in your avatar?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    satchitananda and Viswamitra like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    Yes, children...both girls and boys behave in the cranky way that you mentioned. Parents feel angry, irritated and what not. But let this phase be over and from early 20s they behave in the way that we expect them to be. Or would we get used to them ??? I opt for the first one.
    I have been to Bangalore recently. My cousin's daughter is studying in Pune in an Institute where kids behave the way you mentioned. I do not want to name the Institute. She came home with a weird hairstyle (even in my wildest dream I would say it is beautiful), with two tattoos on the wrist. One is scorpion and another some weird animal and a nose ring. Her mother was searching Google to find out ways of
    How to remove tattoos!
    Syamala

Viswamitra and Shanvy like this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You sent me on a guilt trip. I cause my parents unimaginable grief even today with my antics.

Where are you going? When will you be back? Will you be back for lunch or dinner?
    To which I swivel my eyes and respond, “I’ve no idea.”

Earlier, my mom used to worry about me a lot, but now she has either given up or meditated herself into feeling less consternated about my gallivanting in the city. I am hardly at home on family vacations. I am either two hours away at a dhaba with a friend slurping butter chicken or sampling the pani puri at the opening of a chat house. The only time I am stay put at home is when my mom takes so much pain to spread my favourite dishes (to entice me to stay at home). Funny, when my relatives call up to visit me, my mom says, “You can visit her, once we have visited her.” Argh, so much searing guilt!

Can you send me picture of that Hip Hop Canary & Blue single ear-stud, I might have use of it one day to worm my way out of the unavoidable guilt. Look, your prodigal daughter has not pierced or smacked a tattoo yet

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@shyamala1234 being inked is so in these days. Many of my dd's classmates have tattoos. Mine wanted a mini butterfly on her wrist and i have said no, though at 21 she can do it without asking my permission. In this gen i am happy i have that say

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra , Thanks for the headsup. Time to start loosening the strings
    My worry is how am i going to handle DH. DD wants to colour her hair - in Oil slick style , my only worry is the money spent and damage to the hair. DH is worried about ... i guess it is about the kalacharam stuff I am like she is finally doing girly stuff , let her. Come to think of it , once all my hair turns grey, it would make sense to colour lighter shades than black. Except DH would be :screamcat:

As for the tatoos, i have told DD, "look my pati had tatoos, ok?" So much for the cool factor :rolleyes:

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,
    You are very privileged that your daughter asked your permission.
    Syamala

Viswamitra and Shanvy like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame