1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is freedom?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tanoshii, Feb 4, 2012.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

What does freedom mean in a marriage?
    Is it just the physical ability to do as we please or does it go beyond it?
    Does the need to perform one's duties curtail his/her freedom?
    In a marriage how does responsibility or accountability fit in, when there is a need for freedom?
    In our culture, does freedom entail both the parties in a marriage the access to their personal space?

I am curious and would like to hear from both male and female members of the forum about how they would construe the concept in their relationship.

I am asking cos even after being married for quite a few years :cheers, I still don't understand :confused2: why my husband gets annoyed :rant and thinks I am taking away his freedom when I tell him he can't sit till late in the night on a weekend, watching a gory movie or browse on ebay Computer Typing planning to buy (the unnecessary:roll:) bigger TV, while I'd like to cuddle on the sofa with a romantic candle light flickering and would like to discuss our future plans and dreams. :bonk :idontgetit:

2. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

I think freedom is letting the other person be, without frowning or getting mad over why he is like the way he is!!...
    I try to give my DH a lot of freedom to be how he is! I let him do things he like...if he wants to spends time with his friends...do his own thing...buy stuff--I don't stop him. But I do give him advices that are in his best interest.
    I too get a lot of freedom from my DH, which I really value!!

3. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

Yeah but certain things are like rules....I have rules for how we r supposed to live...he or I do not have the freedom to dirty the house or create mess...we both r supposed to rinse the dishes in which we eat...and though its not a rule but we tell each other whenever we wanna buy something thats expensive, and if one of us doesn't approve something--we don't buy it. apart from that we both can more or less do whatever we want to--spend time with our respective friends, go on our outings, get up late or seep all day...do our jobs or leave them--almost anything and everything!

4. DivzIyer

DivzIyer Senior IL'ite

:)
    I dont want to sound poetic but i guess it is like a kite. Let loose sometimes and pull it sometimes.
    This applies for both. We both know our positives and negetives. sometimes you allow and sometimes you talk sense ;). And he does the same

1 person likes this.
  5. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

I heard once more freedom means more responsibility .

6. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your replies guys.

Reflection123,
    Completely agree with it. Every couple has their own comfort zone that they need to have in order to have the time and space to live their own lives to be able to successfully live the US.

DivzIyer,
    Indeed, its like a kite. That was really a sweet way of putting it.

Lochu,
    Well said - more freedom means more responsibility.

And going by this, how many couples are willing to go with these responsibilities?
    Does everyone see things as clear as you ladies do?

My own example - I chose to be a housewife. Never worked a day. I consider this freedom, that my husband has given me. He never restricts me from travelling, meeting people or choosing what to do with my time.
    But when it comes to having kids or buying something expensive (though it might be practical) or something as petty as spending time with my parents when I go home, he seems to be the one pulling the strings.

As the only earning member of the family, he feels some of my ideas in life (even the most practical or shall I say, what I see as the most practical and real) curtail his freedom - as in finance, lifestyle and extra responsibilities which corresponds to more tension and stress.

Its not like I am sitting around with my feet up, demanding him to keep me surrounded by luxury. We've shifted our home about 20 times in the 8+ years we've been married and all of it was for his work. In spite of being a housewife, I have managed to make our homes in three different countries without him having to lift a finger. I have contributed to our savings too in many many ways and am expected to do more. I don't see that as a sacrifice either. Its what I do for what I am.

But what I don't understand is, how is it freedom if I am given one opportunity, while another is taken away from me?

Its like the decision making ability in a marriage goes with one's access to finance, while the emotional aspects seem to be forgotten in the name of sacrifices that we are expected to make.

Its not just me. Many women/men seem to see things one way while the real experience is different.

7. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

dear tonoshii, u hv raised a very genuine question about freedom in marriage..as being a housewife i myself know the restriction areas, one of those is ofcourse finance:bowdown. but ive manytimes justified the restrictions (for my peace of mind)..u know sometimes, even if i get something that i like for a couple of 100rs that wud be a waste expense for my hubby and the other day he wud spend lacs for something which i wud say that its unnecessary at this time.:spin

but ive seen this in my father, my brother.. though they hav brought me everything that i wanted in my life if i spend for something from my hand there will come all the arguments:hide:

as ive experienced it even before marriage from my dad and bro i understand my hubby as a 'male' that he has to be like that. i leave the matter to cool off after an hot argument with him about it.

other restrictions are just as simple as difference of opinions...if its about the milk vendor, servant maid he leaves it to me... if its about his visit to his parent/frinds place when i want a shopping together i leave it to him...

but thats the beauty of the relationship i feel... its a bitter sweet:bonk

if u want real freedom u got to be alone in this world like a sage:coffee

but we are like this one insect attracted to light though it knows that it will die...the insect cant help itself to stop going towards the light...:bonk we wanted to get married and yeah the problms follows..u cant help it. :drowning

8. azalea

azalea Silver IL'ite

Thats exactly why. You babysit your husband and want it your way. A person should not change fundamentally in order to be in a marriage. If that happens, it creates friction.

9. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your reply Riyagan. I agree with that. I guess when two people come together, difference of opinion is bound to happen.

10. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Azalea, its his need for the baby sitting that makes me act the way I do. We are both adults and I married to be the wife. And what is wrong in expecting a night to chill and not do what he does all nights of the week?
    Besides, its not just my example I am talking about here. I do see many wives being expected to play the mom.

1 person likes this.