What is for Dinner - Recipes for Working Women

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by mahika, Dec 8, 2008.

1. mahika

mahika Bronze IL'ite

hi ladies,
    the main idea of this topic is to share what we working women cook for dinner .With very less time with us what dishes do we make .Probably i can get some ideas of some quick recipes :)
    For me today the whole day was very busy ,had to go for a birthday party in noon ,followed by shopping ...so today dinner is egg bhurji (scrambled egg desi style ),12 grain bread ,Spinach apple salad (just chop some apple and spinach oh wait i have some boiled potatoes so will add that too ,drizzle a mixture of olive oil +balsamic venigar+pinch of sugar )

Tommorow lunch is rice and left over potato curry for me and my hubby will eat out as he had enough potatoes and there is only one bowl left over ....kid (5 yearold)lunch butter jelly sandwitch +cheese stick+yoghurt.
    Love you all ,
    mahi

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Re: what is for dinner

Hai Mahi

Whenever I return late from my office, my mother in law will take care of the cooking when informed earlier.

I will usually prepare puri with Chutney / Onion Sambar which is very easy and fast and also tastes yummy.

Andal

3. vanika

vanika New IL'ite

preparing dinner is something i dont want to spend to much time, yet i always think i shd make an attempt to prepare soem good home cooked food to the two boys in my house( my hubby n my 4 year old son)
    I usually try to prepare in my mind my strategy..i.e hit the pan, chop the onions and get going....i woke on 2 fire stove and make sure both of them are kept busy. attempt to complete my cooking in an hour or two so tat i can spend my time teaching my son and watching tv wt my hubby.

vanika

4. anita2912

anita2912 Bronze IL'ite

I always like to keep my dinner simple so it does not affect my health.Whenever I am pressed for time the easist thing to make is Dal-Rice or Mixed grain Khicdi which can be eaten with curd,pickle and papad.
    Sometimes I make aloo parantha's which does not take much time..
    And sometimes when it really gets very late I just make Maggi Noodles...:)

5. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

This is interesting thread..
    Working Women please put your inputs.
    Rasam - This is fast n easy to prepare. Tomoto grind --> oil + pepper + sugar +salt +rasam powder + grinded liquid tomoto.
    2nd way of doing --> Tomoto V8 Juice + oil + pepper +sugar+ rasam powder boil

Cut Vegges on weekend, and just fry on teh day you want to eat them.. This reduces lots of time.

Any other inputs very helpful:thumbsup

6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

For days when I'm in school, me and dh usually eat pasta and salad for dinner. On other days I make quick versions of classic dishes, and then save the leftovers for next day. Also, hubby is always there to help me in the kitchen, so no problem!

Have you looked on showmethecurry.com website? They have really good recipes, and most are very simplified compared to our traditional way of cooking.

Another suggestion is grilled/baked fish or steak (if you like nonveg) with roasted brussel sprouts. Just cost brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then bake at 400 degrees for an hour, every one in a while taking them out and moving them around so they don't burn. Serve with seasoned rice. It's a simple yet yummy meal!

7. SunitaGN

SunitaGN New IL'ite

Some of my too-tired-to-cook-tonight dishes:

1. Pulao. Fry frozen veggies in a blend of onions, tomatoes, biryani masala and yogurt. I put a tsp of ghee in for taste. Then put this fry in rice cooker with rice. Done in 20 mins by the time we both freshen up. I cook enough quantity so that it is good for next day's lunch box.
    2. Mix wheat flour with water to bring to a dosa consistency. Put in chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander in it. Add salt, chilli pwd, ajwain, a little garam masala and tumeric. Pour over heated pans on two stove tops like dosas. Eat with pickle, or leftover chutney. Again make a half a dozen extra for next day's lunch.
    3. Idli, or uttapams if the batter is there.

:cheers

8. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

:hiya

Because of the time contraint, I usually cook only one item per day. Any item will be good for two days. If I make sambaar today to go with idli/dosa, the next day I'll make a veggie fry (poriyal) to go with sambaar and rice. Next day I'll make a stew or koottu. this will be good with rice and the previous day veggie fry. If there is nothing carried over from the previous day, it will be chicken/fish/shrimp. :)

Of Course! there are exceptions! Like pizza, noodles, pasta! :thumbsup

:hiya suitablegirl,

How do I bake fish? what type of fish? I do the regular indian spicy stuff. Can you help? TIA

Regards,
    Sharada

9. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

It is easy to prepare the following combo in under 30 mins:
    1. dal+rice+veggie
    2. rasam+rice+veggie
    3. chole or rajma + rice
    4. poha or upma
    5. pasta

I have a small hawkins pressure cooker that is very easy to use and wash.

10. madhupreeth

madhupreeth Senior IL'ite

Hi friends...
    It is really a very nice and useful thread..
    As all of us always have confusion about what to cook for dinner...
    For me some curd curry , one veggie , and a non veg fry is fine....
    Lemon rice is also very easy for me....

Keep mailing friends

:cheers
    madhupreeth