What is culture?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 25, 2006.

1. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Very nice

Dear Chithra,
    Fotr the past few days my tight routine kept me away from the computer.Today i opened to be pleasantly surprised by the new thread. I am so happy about it. All the points you note down precisely whenever you attend a class or read a book.I often wonder what will happen to all those precious jottings. I am so happy you are making IL holy with this addition.I feel IL is nothing without you.I amnow wishing Paramaarthaji sees this.If Swamiji is the best teacher, it is because of rare gems like you. May God always be with you inthis endeavour. I am looking forward to your next episode. Yours are more interesting than Any other writings in IL.
    With love and regards.
    Meenu.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Meenu, I don't deserve so much of praise !

Whatever words you have written, I offer at the feet of my Pujya Guru Paramarthananda. I will feel blessed if I can convey in this thread, one millionth of what I have learnt from him!
    Thankyou very much.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Seetha3

Seetha3 Senior IL'ite

Welcome subject - Multifaceted Woman!!

Dear Chithraji:

I wonder how I missed the topic anyway I am here right on time.

There are so many unanswered questionsin our everyday life - i remember my sister always used to seek answers from my parents - why shouldnt one enter the pooja room when one has periods? why kolam -( not only as a decoration but for also its food for ants or birds etc etc ). Looking forward to reading your insights!!

Regards,

Seetha

4. Chitvish

Hello Seetha !

You are already scaring me with your expectations. Remember that I may not know the answers for most of your questions.
    Thanks for your encouragement.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

From Anna Poorani To Dharma Devadha!

Dear Chitra,
    You seem to have the knack of seemlessly jumping from one end to the other without anybody noticing it. This jump from Annapurani to Dharmadevadha was as graceful as your jump from Microwave to Microsoft.
    The difference between civilisation and culture has been so beautifully brought out by you.
    I also enjoyed Radhakrishnan's quotation on religion and science. In fact I almost underwent a course on quantum physics by reading such classics like The Tao Of Physics, The Dancing Wu Li Masters and Richard Feynman's books to reaffirm my faith in religion.
    There is no need to carry coal to new castle. But at times it has to be done just to satisfy the ego of the person who carries it.
    The root of culture is Dharma. Dharma is not to be confused with charity, good deeds, morality or anything like that. Our vedic culture defines it as "Dhaaranad dharmam idhyahu." It's called Dharma because it bears.
    The dharma of fire is heat and that of ice is being cold. Like wise there are some inherent, implicit, unbreakable dharma for a human being.
    As the famed Director of Ten Commandments said, 'We can't break His Laws (Dharma). We can only break ourselves against them."
    Good start, Chirta. Keep it going.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

the beauty of our culture comes thru

the beauty of our culture comes thru where ever we r....today been to a poonal in the morning...the strong fragrance of flower and sandal wood and the burning herbals and the rustling silks all around was a peaceful sight that we r in our home ground....suddenly a foreign couple entered and her dress was in so much contrast with her neckline coming up to her half way belly button....and a see thru top with nothing inside....and skirt to sport with some beads hanging and a long earring she just looked around and heaven knows what got into her looking at all covered up with pinned up saree and flowers ....she immediately collected her shawl from her husband wrapped herself and sat down to enjoy the function.....from her arrival to this act has been a grt visual experience to all around her.....india is india anywhere...regards sunkan

7. Chitvish

Some more thoughts on " Dharma".

My dear Sridhar,
    I am frank enough to admit that your stamp of approval on my new thread does mean a lot to me ! I invite you to contribute more details on whatever subjects i plan to write about. That way everybody can have both our views, likely to be from two different perspectives !
    " Dharma" also means righteousness and envisages the practical application of certain rules which regulate man's conduct and stand for the welfare of society. It is the basis of our culture and religion and must express itself in the life of man.
    To lead an integrated life without stress and tension, without jealousy, greed or hatred of fellowmen and in peace with outer Nature and the vicissitudes of fortune, we need a golden key --"Dharma" !
    Your inputs are most welcome, regularly, Sridhar !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

That is a very good observation by you...and good you posted here...shows another example of how our own culture influences the people around the world. I can fully appreciate and be proudmy culture only after i have seen and felt it being so much appreciated in this foreign land! But your mentioning the atmosphere in that function, makes me feel nostalgic!...um, um....

9. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi
    Just read the Index The significant Unique Features Of Indian Culture.
    I have decided to spend all my time at IL reading the in depth analysis by Chitvish.
    Thanks to Induslady this great persons knowledge is helping all the ILites in many ways.
    regards latha:)

1 person likes this.
  10. KalyaniSundararajan

KalyaniSundararajan New IL'ite

Dear Chitra
    I am awed by the magnitude of the work you have done in assembling all the shlokas in such an orderly way. I shall enjoy reading and learning them as I love chanting. We are a group of Sathya Sai Baba devotees who chant from the Vedas ..Rudram, Chamakam etc. Thanks again for this work for humanity
    With love and regards
    Kalyani