What is culture?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 25, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Tops, dear

dear Vidya,
    your post was very nice. I used to read lots of religious books when I was young. During the summer holidays, with nothing else to do, my only solace were books. I have read the Mahabharatha and Ramayana so many times. Also, Naradar Puranam, Pillayar puranam and many other books. Now I don't remember much of what I read. But it gave me an interest to know about our practices etc.
    My mother used to say that women did not take bath during their monthly periods. It was because in those days women have to go to the river or tank to bathe. They will pollute the whole water if they take bath then. That is why they did have bath. And you will all know, due to heavy physical work only, women stayed separate during that time.
    You might have heard people say that even old people of those days could see well, they never had any eye problem. It was because, they only had natural light. No electricity in those days and they went to bed as soon as the sun set. Also they did not learn thro books. Dr. says that with usage the eyeball becomes flatter and so only we get cataract and other problems. We use our eyes so much, than our grandmas. But they were good at remembering everything. They were used to that kind of learning. It seems that we may be going back in time in this thread and understand our culture better.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

2. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Brillantly written!

Was busy with winding up work , today when i browsed through IL i was pleasantly suprised and happy to see this posting from ChitVish !!! YOu have give this in the apt time,these days the meaning of culture is losing its charm unfortunately, people mislead this word to their selfish means! This article, pulls us back to our paths and makes us aware of why certain things are taught and inculcated to us from childhood.Short and sweet , crisp and clear... noone else but Mrs CV can , and has the experience for writing such a thing!

Thanks a ton.... for posting it. Please do keep writing a lot of such articles, only certain ones are readable and you and Varalotti certainly take the lead for fantastic postings!!!!

Cheers,
    Purnima

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Purnima !

My posting fantastic like Varalotti's ? I hope he takes to this comment lightly & rightly - ha ha ha !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Man’s control of external nature is called civilization.

His control of internal nature is called culture.

The above two lines are brilliant.I am reading them over and over to fully understand it.It is not very easy to understand all the indepth sentences.I love how you have explained culture in detail. Can't wait for the other topics that you have mentioned.I am planning to take print outs of these so that I can teach my children properly and above all make sure I understand fully to appreciate what we are really doing in terms of rituals and conventions.Good luck Mrs CV. I will be following you closely in this thread.

Love,

5. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Very beautiful post about culture. the definitions you've given on culture and

civilization is really good. it is very true that both religion and science are

related to each other. i do remember my grandma...she explains the meaning

behind the practices and rituals.

Thanks for the nice post and expecting more from u.

regards,
    surya.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  6. Chitvish

Thankyou, Anjana & Surya !

Your messages are making me very happy, but also creating a fear in my mind that i should come up to your expectations !
    I repeat, all ideas are from my Gurus - the entire credit goes to them ! I am more like a messanger, conveying their teachings to you, in my simple way.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

A great thread, much needed for today's living:)

Dear Chitra,

I am once again late in the line. But I keep reminding myself that it is 'never too late'!
    I welcome this thread with enthusiasm. This is a much needed thread and the topics you want to handle are every 'today's person' 's query and search. Who else can be more suitable than you to write about it? Your intro to the thread in itself is an outstanding proof that you are more than capable of handling this thread, given your experiences, knowledge and giving nature. Right from the time you mentioned about wishing to start such a thread, I have been waiting. The wait was quite short! I can never stop at being amazed at your energy and enthusiasm. God Bless you!
    Vidya, Sudha, Meena, Prathi, Varloo and many others have already expressed and reflected my thoughts and that leaves me nothing more to add. I can assure you that I will be following this thread regularly.
    I already see our knowledgable ILites adding to the substance of this thread and it will all only enrich us and widen our thoughts and brighten our lives.
    My only regreat being that all this is at my doorstep...keystep!??!...at this stage of my life. I wish IL and www had existed in my younger days when I was lost and searching for answers! Once again, it's never too late!!

Love and regards,
    Kamla

8. Chitvish

Kamla, what about my stage of life ?

I have no regrets that www & I L happened at this stage of my life. Thy will be done - I just bow to that & forge ahead.
    But I can't deny that I have really undertaken a challenge in this thread & pray God be with me.
    As always, I repeat " Katrathu kaiman alavu, kallaathathu ulakalavu" !
    The best is yet to be.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

You have done it again,Mrs.Chithra

Only today i got the time to read through your introduction and the outpour of responses from our ILites for starting this much needed boost of a thread.It will make us see and do everything with a new set of eyes,am sure.I have no problem admitting that i was spiritually starved up until a few months ago not knowing many things about praying.Then you gave me all the equipment i needed and i found my ground again.Now this will take it one step above and am right here to watch,learn and understand as you most lovingly share the knowledge and the wisdom you have acquired through your own spiritual journey.

Affectionately
    Suba.

10. Chitvish

Hello Suba !

Suba, you follow me in both my forums so closely & encourage me so much ! All this means a lot to me to move ahead with more enthusiasm. I have just started drafting " The importance of Kolam" from yesterday !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.