What is Buckwheat in Tamil?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mstrue, Apr 28, 2010.

1. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

The whole purpose of the thread!:rotfl

The tea packet, a chinese friend gifed my DH (wrong person when it comes to 'over healthy' food) is the only food item I came across that has buckwheat in it. :rotfl Hope this thread might help us discover the other.

I don't think so.. the google images search for bulgar looks different than that of buckwheat.

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

WOW, Cindhuja! :cool2: recipes. :thankyou2:
    Now all that is left is to find the buckwheat.

3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

True,

Buckwheat is used in baking. It is gluten free, and hence is a healthier option to wheat, rice, maida etc. It is supposed to make cakes soft, and is also used in making pancakes, crepes. I have not used it, or seen it in the flour form, so cant really comment on the taste part. But, I think it is could come in the "punjai" category, - means a millet so it must be similar to ragi, kambu etc in taste. However, buckwheat or papparai is not a cereal. It is a fruit seed. . From my reading, it is a lotus seed derived product. I also read that it is a part of any health diet in the West, and you should possibly get more info from food bloggers. If you want Indian recipes, I suggest you search as kuttu ka atta and you can get adais, dosais and pakora's with it. I only have a pancake recipe, which I dont think I will ever get to try :). And yes, it is papparai in tamil and it is cultivated/farmed at Chidambaram.

Also, some of my bread books have called for it as a substitute to wheat( gehun ka atta)

Arch

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  4. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Wow, Archana! Very informative. Thanks.
    Please share the pancake recipe in the recipe forum. My DS loves pancakes, so I might find it useful. Thanks!

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Not on any offensive note - why are most threads regressing from the topic, getting comical, being infested with jokes, personal conversations, one-to-one discussions in this forum? Certainly irritating to the reader - particularly to one who wants to hear the answer.

True,

There is a forum titled Miscelleneous Recipes, and it is visited and answered by people who cook/bake/use such stuff often. I am sure your thread would be better off there, as you are sure to get guaranteed responses.

The pancake recipe is available online. Google as Purple Foodie+Buckwheat Pancakes.

Arch

6. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

I was totally out of touch for 2 days and mals,true,spidey having so much fun.

Ok here you go..I think it is "Kuttu ka atta" that is used by many during fasting.(I do not do any fasting so maybe I am wrong heard from others).

Go to a an Indian store True and ask for Kuttu ka atta..maybe you will find your male deer wheat :rotfl
    FL

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

And I didn't know about it????:bonk:bonk:bonk.When I go this time I will have to ask my mom definitely.

BTW,Thanks for the info Mstrue.Aand thanks to Cindhuja for the recipie..

8. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Yeah Buhuvnidhi, find that mystery man. :rotfl
    By the way, I found buckwheat in an Indian store here labelled 'Buckwheat'.

9. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

MS True,

Apart from Indian Stores many stores like top foods, whole foods carry buck wheat (as grain and flour). I've seen Bob's Red Mill brand Buckwheat in many a store here.

Ladies, Thanks for educating me on this.... Me a wholegrain connoissier, is gonna try this for sure..

By the way, True, can you tell me what brand tea is that? I can try to see if I can find it. I love roasted rice smell. :)

10. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Sure, why not?! Can you find me a good Chinese Tutor.. or.. a learn chinese in 30 days handbook.. :rotfl

Kidding.. I have attached the pic. Good Luck Deciphering it! :biglaugh
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010