What is a good engineering branch for girls?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by deepshikha, Feb 17, 2010.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

I need this info for a girl relative who will start college this year. She does not have much idea about what different branches of engineering are like since she is still in 12 class. Though she wants to go with CSE, she is little confused as all say job prospects nowadays are not good with CS. She is also a little interested in core branches but not very sure of it.
    I want to know whether mechanical and electronics suit girls. Is it too hard for girls to cope in these branches? What are the prospects with mechanical or electronics? What hardships cana girl face in being successful in these branches?

Any other suggestions? Thanks

2. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Don't know about mechanical..but electrical is good....but one thing..job prospects in CSE or IT will always be there.. recession is just a cycle...it happens...it goes...and again boom happens....I don't say CSE is ever green branch etc...but if she is interested in CSE and is thinking to leave just because job prospects are not good...then in my view it might not be a better idea.....by the time she completes engineering( as u said she is still in 12th) IT might be in boom .. Its just a cycle....[/JUSTIFY]

3. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the reply.
    Can you also tell me which is better in terms of jobs, Electronics&communications Eng.(ECE) or CSE(Computer science)?
    Also is ECE and Electronics and Telecommunications are the names of same branch, is there a difference between the two?
    Which branch has good prospects after higher studies? Thanks a lot.

4. funnup

funnup New IL'ite

Hallo, I am myself a woman who has completed eng in Industrial and Production engg which is a derivative of mechanical and has some management knowledge. As far as a branch of engg is concerned, it is important to be interested in that branch in order to stuudy it successfully and grab a career in it. The core branch Electronics and communication is also good and computer software knowledge can be always had from external sources.
    No branch is tough for girls but mechanical does not hold scope for girls. Take I&P instead if she is interested in pursuing MBA ? This branch has many options too.

Cheers

5. vandv

vandv Silver IL'ite

Only few girls opt for mechanical engg. Studying is not that difficult if the student is brilliant/hardworking. The major difficulty what I seen for a female candidate is that getting a job in mech engg industry. Many of the ladies, my senoirs and juniors, have ended up in teaching or software after completing Mech engg B,Tech. Electronics is a good option for girls...more and more girls are now going for electronics and computer science.

6. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

CSE or IT is good . Easy to pass with good prospects of jobs.
    If she is strong in fundamentals and continue job for long time, ECE is good, where she can get Electonics and IT jobs.

civil and mechanical is slightly difficult and job prospects also is less. even they want move to IT job after doing some course . But there are many good jobs coming up in civil in india and dubai. Mechanical will have good jobs in Govt secor like NTPC etc.

7. sharmilay

sharmilay Senior IL'ite

CSE, ECE or IT are good engineering branch for girls.

8. daffny

daffny Silver IL'ite

CSE and IT are the two best branches for girls. unless or otherwise some relative is there to help in getting job, other branches will not help. they will have to struggle too much to get job.

9. JazzyJazz

JazzyJazz Silver IL'ite

I think almost anything is okay, I did my EEE and was a software engineer, IT giants anyways train them to be software engineers but interest of the girl is also important. Recession will come and go but the strongest will always survive. I've seen even girls in the Mechanical Department, really depends on how strong willed the girl is actually. My dad put me in EEE because he assumed that I could try my hands on my core jobs or even move to software. Core jobs pay less initially and is little difficult to find jobs but down the lane the salary goes really high.

10. rajmyt

rajmyt Bronze IL'ite

I think CSE,IT, CHEMICAL,BIOTECHNOLOGY,ARCHITECTURE will suit girls.