1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is “peer Pressure” ?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I think the above is the answer @anika987 , just bang on :)

shravs3 and anika987 like this.
  2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

What a simple yet deep question to ask!

Looks like there are two types of "peer" pressure - one that parents have to protect themselves from and the other that kids need to be taught to protect themselves from - thanks to this thread for allowing me to think about both.

I have a toddler but hear quite a bit about the the "peer pressure" kids put on themselves in high school in USA. Second-hand experience from my friend and her HS kid's experiences:

- Not wanting to go to India in Summer because they need to attend a lot of camps - to put on their college application. Each kids knows the other's kids plans - wants to have packed and productive schedule also - because once school starts they wont have time for all of this.

- Joining robotics club because the kids likes it *AND* all their friends are joining it - for it means you get to be in school till 9pm on certain day of the week and then even 6 hours days in school on Saturday for more robotics work.

- Sleeping late and waking up early - because the kid decided to take on a "heavy" load that year because everybody else in his/her group is and has to do so to complete project work/assignments.

- Performance enhancing drugs - to enable them to focus better and sleep less. Very sad - but it seems much more easily available and circulated between friends than adults/parents get to know.

@Rihana Your answers and questions are always spot on. Thank you for them!!

anika987 likes this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

:D

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

:D

5. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

You're that "Me". I was so naive thought preschools also free.... And by KG its okay if my kid can't read.

messedup and anika987 like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Competition for kids in elementary/primary school is karate, swimming, kumoan class, reading writing skills.
    Peer pressure is who went to Disney, who gets more vacation, toys, gifts, big birthday parties... 4yrs old compares birthday dresses, menu.... My cousin sister told me she didn't choose her wedding menu...

anika987 likes this.
  7. Vedhavalli

Wow !!! What an analysis so true to the mark.
    Many moms have this rear view attitude,
    Few days ago a mom kept asking what others kids are going to wear on Ugadi celebration. We all said silk pavada, that mom wanted every kids dress Pic. Back of my mind why she is asking???
    Now I understand so silly to compare and decide the dress.
    This mommy pressure is on high rise.
    Pls give tips to handle, we can't ignore them completely they are part of ecosystem.

anika987 likes this.
  8. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Yes Me is me ...:blush: I think if we go with time and teach them as much as required then they can enjoy their childhood too. We can teach them the things practically so that they can observe their environment too. But going with books and lots of books at this age is not at all required. Like we told our child that if a car has yellow color number plate then it is a taxi. Now he don't get bored while traveling. He keep on showing us all the taxes on the way. Then we told him about all public transport and he started telling us mom or dad see public transport taxi or bus or truck etc. This way he is becoming observant and also learning lot of things that too with fun.

Mehana and anika987 like this.