1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What do you prefer? eBook or hard book?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by coolblues, Mar 7, 2013.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Hi Folks,

ebookhardbook.jpg

True that technology and innovations has made our life easy and convenient. Recent years have seen tremendous advancement in the way books are written, published and read. Several formats, each competing to be the best is available for us to simply “download” and enjoy reading. Old fashioned that I may sound, moving away from hard bound books has been quite tough. I love to touch, feel, smell, flip the pages when I read a book. Nevertheless, I must also confess the light feel of carrying several e-books is quite amazing...

What are your preferences with respect to books? An eBook or a hard copy book? What do you enjoy in each of them? Pen your thoughts!

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hard copy book no doubt! Don't like E-books as they are impersonal.
    Can't put flower petals , leaves in Ebooks and find them years later, get nostalgic..............
    A real book is very comforting.

6 people like this.
  3. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Gold IL'ite

I am a big fan of books and have a big collection of hard books...but nowadays love ebooks.

1) Loads of ebooks are free when their hard version has to be paid for
    2) The physical weight of carrying around books is nil, especially when i am lugging my laptop bag, handbag, lunch bag to office and back every day
    3) With applicaitons like ebook or aldiko i get the "feel" of flipping pages and it is not like going through a word doc

So maybe 1 year ago I would have said regular books, but now getting converted to ebooks.

4 people like this.
  4. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

my choice is hard copy..

5. coolblues

Cute! I used to do this when i was a kid. Now, you have triggered lot of good memories! :)

2 people like this.
  6. kovaisarala

kovaisarala Senior IL'ite

agree with @Oliveoyl. although ebooks are convenient...the romantic in me appreciates the touch and smell of old paper books as well as new untouched books.

head says - ebooks
    heart says - hard copies!

:)

9 people like this.
  7. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

When I'm reading for myself, I prefer a real book with paper pages. I just enjoy it more; it's a more sensual experience. The feel of the paper, the smell of the bookbinding, the sound of the turning page - all of these are part of what makes reading enjoyable for me. I do have some e-books, but they're all craft patterns or other instructional things. No novels. I tried reading novels in electronic form, and I just couldn't concentrate on them.

When I'm reading to my kids, it can go either way. I have paper books for them, but sometimes they're just too rowdy to want to gently turn pages, and that's when we break out the iPad and the e-books!

1 person likes this.
  8. coolblues

So true! You have put it well, LunaDoveDesigns!

9. veenabiju1

veenabiju1 Silver IL'ite

I too prefer a hard copy

10. babadon

babadon Senior IL'ite

prefer ebook.. Main reason is storing them.. i am a avid book reader so used to buy so much books then whole of shelf got full.. now i use ipad and i have like 12GB of books in ipad and another 20GB collection on hard drive such that i can read whenever i want too.. The cost is also much cheaper and long term usage save paper all..

2 people like this.