1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Do With Your Gently Worn But Very Nice Indian Clothes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by BhumiBabe, May 16, 2018.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I'm sure I am not the only one who faces this problem. Every time I visit India, I stock up on indian clothes. The cheaper stuff like kurti tops, I use until it's ready to be recycled (or send to the needy). But the nicer sarees and lehengas , I use them maybe 2-3 times, and then they are well seen and on fb, so I am less inclined to wear them. I still do, but none of my friends repeat stuff. I considered just donating it to the needy, but the styles are never something that they would wear (sleeveless or low back).

So my question is, what do you do with your gently used fancy wear?

I could horde them, but if I keep them too long, they go out of style and then No One wants to wear them. It feels like such a waste for good quality clothes.

Anusuya and Needtobestrong like this.

2. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

1. Instead of buying whole sets as such, probably you could try mix and match. That way, you can come up with different combinations that won't bore you.
    For Kurtis, I sometimes change the pant and duppatas so that it looks like a completely different set.
    2. Since you live abroad, you could pass on the expensive sets to your cousins/ friends back home after few usages. You need to find someone who is willing to take them and not mix pride with this

Anusuya, sweetsmiley, Naari and 2 others like this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Wait, what ?! Are you & your friends celebrities that would discard clothes so as to not repeat a look ? I can understand that celebs do that because of their image and because many times clothes are borrowed or sponsored by designers.

It is wasteful to throw out sarees just after 2-3 wears. Please consider pausing new purchases and instead try to reuse your older clothes. Sarees and some salwars never go out of style.

But if you still need to hand them off then take them on your next India trip and donate there.

Anusuya, bhagya85, sindmani and 3 others like this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

It's quite a common practice even among my circle. The reason is that you don't want to be seen repeating the same over n over again in the same circle. As they are usually for some small / big events, you meet a lot of people n photographed a lot. It doesn't look or feel right to repeat it so many times.

5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

If you have different groups of people, you can wear the same dress without looking like a repeat.

Mix n match - it really does work.
    Accessorise it differently.

I also have a rotation cycle - so if I have worn an ethnic dress for the different groups of people. I keep it inside n pull it out after a while or even match with something different.

Ethnic wear tends to be pricey, esp the ones we get for events. It doesn't get worn out either due to very less usage. So I just have a system to use it right.

N ofcourse if I wana give it away, I do so to our maids or give it my ma or mil who then passes on to someone who needs it.

sindmani likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have never ever discarded saris in good condition. I'll switch it up by wearing them with different fancy blouses and new jewelry. You can try to see if a consignment store will take the other clothes. Or do a clothes swap with friends.

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I leave sarees with my mom, my sisters / aunt will use it, if they really like it. Otherwise mom will give it away to local village people. I have seen a few, wear it nicely and keep it for years in good condition.

sindmani and Naari like this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

@coffeecups - that's a good idea. Mixing and matching fancy wear is on trend nowadays.
    My cousins in India do get some of my clothes, but their parents don't let them wear sleeveless or anything "revealing" and it's too hot to wear long sleeves in south India. They often reject the trendy stuff.

@madras2018 - it's nothing like that. When you grow up 1st generation, it's kind of a thing to wear really fancy stuff at weddings. Afterall, we grew up with no big occasions, so it's huge now. We attend 3-4 events, each wearing something different. I always re-use my silk sarees (no one can tell anyway), but the reception clothes are usually super fancy. I always reuse my clothes with each circle, including my family in India.

Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll. I already do most of these things. I wish there was an easy way, like an Indian Poshmark to trade out some of the pieces.

Amica, sindmani and Naari like this.
  9. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I m living in India, I usually keep track of what I've worn for each event..so as long as that dress is not worn again for another event involving same people it's ok..after spending so much on ethnic wear Like grand sarees or salwars I usually store them well and use them again and again for different occasions while giving long gap between each use, as long as it fits...After spending so much I dont feel like giving it off unless I've used it several times.

sindmani likes this.
  10. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

BhumiBabe likes this.