1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do keep your friendships alive?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by coolblues, Jul 17, 2014.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Hi all:

It is easy to make friends but to keep them alive takes work. With time we all change and at times, we sacrifice friendships over family and being busy.

Do you have a friend that you are in touch for a long time and how have you managed to keep it alive?

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Facebook... many of my childhood friends are no more in the country. My college friends live in their country and not in mine. My first office colleagues cum friends too have gone miles apart. But most of them are still in touch with me, and we share our updates, status and photos every now and then.

Happy to say that I have friends from all over the world, and I count on then whenever I go/visit their country for personal or official works as my best mates/tour companions there.

I do have their mobile No, which I rarely use only if something urgent or important which I can't share in FB. Otherwise, FB is the only source for me to be connected with all.

Vaikuntha, aabcii and coolblues like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

The most important point about maintaining a long friendship is the ability to pick up where you left off. You know how busy you have been with the routine mundaneness of your life based on your priorities. You have to bear in mind that the same applies to your friend.

All of my long-term friends I'm still in touch with are glad when I get in touch. Or I'm glad when they get in touch. There is not a word of chiding between us about why we hadn't been in touch earlier or why we hadn't wished them for their birthdays or anniversaries or why we hadn't informed them when we transited through their city.

We enjoy the here and now when we do manage to get in touch for a couple of days or hours or minutes. However long has passed, we pick up from where we left off. That in essence is one main reason I enjoy the company of those lovely people.

3 people like this.
  4. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Staying in touch once in a while helps, sometimes i find it is easier to keep a friendship going when there is distance vs when you live 'next door'
    The basis of your friendship also matters, ie were you childhood, school , college friends etc, that makes a big difference.
    Childhood friends can be your closest depending how much time you spent together as children.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Ditto!
    We usually call each-other. May be once in every few months and email whenever get a chance.

2 people like this.
  6. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

I have a guy and a girl friend. The girl is my high school bestie and we are still in touch. The guy is my long time friend. My bench mate in 2nd grade. We studied together till 10th grade, we had a cold war in high school so 2 years we did not speak directly. He cares for me like his sister. If I am late from my school, he would wait for me. Though he never speaks a word to me. I know of his crush and I threaten him to get me chocs :p The colleges we did in different countries. Finally he made it for my wedding!!

The essence it, if you know your friend is a crack pot you would call, if they know you better, they would call. Even if we both do not call, if we pick of call after years, the conversation starts as if we left off the day before, no question on friendship!

If you feel like, call, fb, poke in fb, whatsapp, at times i write a big gmail! So there are many ways, just that little more push!

1 person likes this.
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

In this day and age its much easier to keep in touch. Things like facebook, whatsapp ad email etc are great tools to keep in touch. My best friends live across the ocean and I keep in touch through fb/whatsapp and emails.

8. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

nice to see ppl are tying to maintain friendship across the different countries .. but still making new friends through social media is risky and not worthy ... but good ppl are still there in this world but getting the right friend too is lucky .. hope all do respect and care and support ...

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

+

Making new friends through social media may be risky. But keeping in touch with your old friends through social media is not at all risky. As long as you are sure about your privacy settings, and you don;t share anything that can not be shared publicly, I don't think there is much to be worried about.

I keep in touch with almost all my old friends, and colleges who became very close with me while working in the past. They all spread across the continent. We dont get to meet often. We don't find time or the need to make a special call to each and everyone of them to update our lives either. Specially after having separate family, and responsibilities at work front.

Social medias like FB and whats app is a great advantage. I normally add friends, those are known to me only. I dont respond to all the requests from unknown or untrusted people.

Then I make groups as per how we are related. Work friends, college friends, school friends, relatives, young and teens etc..etc...

You can share photos and important items via message only to the group (s). Further you can post or understand from others posts about their status viz-a-viz

1 person likes this.
  10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

KEEP IN TOUCH!!!
    Good friends are for keeps...