What do the kids learn in LKG,UKG and 1st standard in schools

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ramyanand, Jan 21, 2008.

1. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

Re: what do kids learn in ukg(cbse)

oh kamala....am relieved...oof...:cool2:...
    hi shanthi ...:thankyou2: that gives a better idea...maybe shd chk out like that .:thumbsup

2. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I would like to attach some sample worksheets that my kid worked on this year in her LKG in Chennai.. These are from the first term. She was taught to identify the letters with the sound to that letter. numbers from 1 to 5 in the first term, later in the second term it was count from 1-10 and write... now in third term it is count from 1-20 and write till 10, although my kid's class is taught to write till 20.

Started writing running letters from second term... started from c, a, o, e, i, u, w, m, n, v, r, s, x... then in third term she was taught to write other running letters in small letters..

she is taught many rhymes, identification of pictures with the first letter of the word, writing numbers from 1-20, story listening and answering questions - just the answer word if the child is not able to structure the sentence, otherwise full sentence is taught. then some colouring, joining dots which uses alphabets and birds.

Also she has an assessment for Public Speaking, the kid can select a topic and learn 2-3 sentences and talk in front of the class.

identifying colours, colours in a rainbow, seasons etc were also taught.. all were by means of activities... my kid picked up all these well... her class has 21 kids and most of them are able to follow the method well and development of the kids is also good..

The alphabets are taught to write as in the attached pictures. These are from my kid's school in Chennai.. I don't know about other schools in Chennai, but i believe most of them may be following something similar only..

Hope this helps many of you, who are planning to put your kids in Chennai schools.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

:thankyou2:so much manju ....good work ..:clap:clap
    It now really gives me an idea what goes in LKG....thanks...do they hv second lang ?
    out of curiosity , which school in cennai does ur kid go to? :)

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi manju,
    Thank you for shharing the worksheet.very useful.

5. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi joshila,

my daughter goes to Schram Academy International School.. They will start with second language in UKG...

6. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

oh k thanks Manju.....BTW where in Chennai is this Int School ? :confused2:

7. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

oh k thanks Manju ....

9. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

hi friends,
    thanks a lot for all ur feedback. all r very useful for me. rightnow my daughter is in kindergarten.

many of my friends here scared me that all the kids in us r little backward in syllabus wise & learning also.:roll: in india it is much more they r teaching. i was worried.:cry: y i came here. i started to think of coming back to india. :confused2:Rantbut after seeing this thread i m much releaved. :bowdownthat my daughter is not backwards.

here also they r teaching the same. except 1-1000 & no words. but one thing they r much advanced than indian sylabus. that is they r teaching how to spell a word & how to read a word. so now my daughter can read almost all small words & some big words like thinking, rain, couch, table, chair, one, two, three, etc.

they r teaching american history also.

regarding science they r teaching underwater creatures. uses of magnifying glasses. y they need it. healthy foods & junk foods.

if we take social studies they r teaching weather forecast. how it is raining, etc.

apart from that they r learning many rhymes, they r giving some books from library to read at home. we can keep that book at home for 1wk. kids can choose the book fr the library all by themselves or if they want they can get help fr their teacher. they r going for art classes & music classes also.

one more good thing is everyday there they hv gym period. its just like the games period. they r teaching some excercises. its a streach for the body to refresh ur body as well as ur mind. like they r allowing kids to play in the recess time. its 10 mins recess time they can play nicely to refresh themselves. :):thumbsup

10. eveline

eveline New IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    My son's age is 4.5 yrs old and he is studying in a CBSE school in Chennai. In his school as far as writing part they taught him only 10 small alphabets in cursive writing (c, a, i, e,o, u, w,v, n, m,) in this order and from numbers 1-5. I find this too slow. Is this is correct method. I fear when they go to SKG they will find it difficult. Even if i teach him at home he is very playful. But other than that he is very smart and intelligent. One time if we teach him he learns quickly but making him sit and do is difficult. I fear how will he come up in this fast competitive world. Pls advise me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009