What do the kids learn in LKG,UKG and 1st standard in schools

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ramyanand, Jan 21, 2008.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Hi friends.
    i find this thread useful to moms like me who dono how to teach their kids in indian syllabus. let me try to teach atleast a few of this to my kid in kindergarten here.
    Expecting more from other ILites.
    Priya

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi ramya,

NCERT Textbooks

you can get a copy of a textbook from this website from 1st to xii...this is the general syllabbus prescribed for cbse by ncert...hope it is useful. ...lkg and ukg what i have outlined is taught...

1 person likes this.
  3. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

hi shanvy,

The link is very useful. Thank you very much.

Padma.

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya

I was comparing the Indian syllabus with the KG one here and it looks the same.So,pls do not worry.My son who is in KG is doing all that which is mentioned here as being taught in LKG,UKG and 1st combined,except that he is not doing numbers till 1000 and tables.He has good amount of writing homework too and also has journal writing ,which I think brings out the creative thinking in kids.

5. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Dear SHanvy,
    Thank u sooooo much...

Cheers
    Ramya

6. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi sunitha
    Thanx for clarifying abt the sylabus of K G here..Is u'rkid in public school?Do public schools's syllabus match with our indian cbse sylabus?
    My kid is attending a montesorri school now..im plannin to put im in a public school next fall..Thats why im confused!

Cheers
    Ramya

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

My son goes to a private school,I am not aware of public school standards,maybe someone else can help with that.

8. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi sunitha,
    Can u pls tell me how much do they charge for KG in private school?My son is attending a montessori school now(preschool) and im in dilemma whether to put him in public school or make him continue in montessori itself..

Cheers
    Ramya

9. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

hi sunitha,
    can u pls tell us in detail abt getting admission in a private school. i heard that they have some student aid too.is that really very high fee they charge. any requirements, eligibility criteria u need tohav. will be verymuch thankful if u find some tome to explain. i hav a son. i wnted toknow abt private schools, but my husbasnd says, most of the people cudnt thinkmof that. is that true,
    thanks in advance
    Priya

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya

The fees for my son is $741 a month and comes to $7410 for 10 months. Apart from that,we do have to get school supplies etc at the beginning of the year and sometimes in the middle of the year too. That might be around $ 200 or so.This school supplies thing applies to public schools too.The school uniform comes to around $350 to 400 depending on how many sets you buy.

This school has till 12th grade and it is one of the best in our area with a good mix of all ethnic groups. The fees in private schools depends a lot on your area and location.
    We do have schools with a fees of $19,000 a yr too,the really posh ones.

Getting admission- I got the school details from the net,called them to fix an apptment. My son had to go thru' a 1 hr interview to be selected during which time they checked to see whether he knows basics like alphabets,numbers,phonics,reading etc.We were not allowed to be present there at that time.The reason we went for a private school was because he had to be 5 yrs old as of 31st Sep to be in KG but he completed 5 only on 1st nov,so all public schools refused admission and we did not want him to lose another yr doing prekg just because of a one month age gap. Then there were a number of Christian private schools with lower fees whose main criteria was that the child should be Christian,which again,he was not.. I am not aware of student aids so I cannot comment on that.