What do the kids learn in LKG,UKG and 1st standard in schools

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ramyanand, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi ilites(whose kids r in lkg,ukg and 1st standard)
    Pls post here what u'r kids r been taught in school in chennai
    Eng,Math,LAnguage(if any) in CBSE syllabus..
    Especially the writing part...
    Thanx in advance
    Cheers
    Ramya

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008

2. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

WHy no responses??:-(

3. chidambaripanyam

chidambaripanyam Senior IL'ite

Hello
    As u have asked for CBSE syllabus in chennai i have not responded earlier. My kid is in AP state Syllabus. Please go thro this so that u can have an idea.
    English:
    Small and Capital letters both oral and in written
    They should write 3 to 4 words for each letter eg:A for ant,arrow,aeroplane
    They should be able to read these words.
    Normally they are conducting English test in 2 days. one day they take dictation of words and some
    little questions. other day they conduct oral and writing. This writing test main aim is to see how much child can write down from looking at board. Teacher will write some sentences. children will have to copydown.

Number :
    1-100 Numbers they should write. from 1-10 in words eg 1-one 2-two etc.

G.K:
    Parts of body, cleanliness,fruits,vegetables,flowers,Means of transport,Days of the week,Class room, names of games,inside the house like kitchen,dinning room,livining room etc My School like teacher,bench,table,duster,black board etc,Monthsof the year etc. All in oral and writing

This is for LKG syllabus writing part. along with these she had singing,rhymes,story,drawing.I will post UKG in my next post.

regards

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. chidambaripanyam

Hello
    In UKG 90% writing portion.
    English: like LKG simple words 4,5 for each letter.
    IN 5,6 sentences they are making one story.Based on that they have questions and answers.
    Like LKG dictation words and writing is same.

Number work: 100-500 and 1-100 in words they should able to write.Missing Numbers and count the numbers.Simple single digit addition and subtraction

GK: Animals,Birds and insects,our family,our food like chapathi,rice,dal,curd, whatever daily we will take,Fruits and vegetables,Flowers and parts of body,Useful things,Transport ,safety habits,people who help us in daily life like doctor,nurse,postman,sweeper,milkman etc.

Along with these story,rhymes,singing,drawing are other subjects.

With regards

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi chidambari
    Thanx a ton for the detailed reply....Really appreciate it!!

Waiting for responses form chennai ILites too

Cheers
    Ramya

6. jacintha

jacintha New IL'ite

hello ladies sorry to disturb this thread by posting irrelevant question here,

but pls tell me how to start a new thread in a particular category. searched but couldnt able to fined. pls

7. chidambaripanyam

hello jacintha

Go to sub forum Chennai as u r from chennai , under it u can notice option of NEW Thread. u can select it and start a new thread.

bye

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ramya,

Was waiting for others to reply as i am long out of this kg,1st sts.

What CP (chidambaripaniyam.. i wonder what's your name...?) has mentioned is quite applicable for lot of schools....

but there are certain schools which don't give so much writing work and the method of teaching also differs..

LKG...
    the kids learn sleeping,standing line patterns which makes catching the pencil and moving it easily..so they learn I first then L, so that is how it is taught...along with the phonetics....

numbers it is 1 to 10..identification, addition patterns and writing...some schools upto 1to 50.

drawing, simple questions...

Coming to UKG.

the kids learn to make words and small sentences...

numbers they learn upto 100..and they are taught in such a way that writing upt0 1000 comes easily....

small things about occupations, colours, foods, plants etc are thought...along with drawing and other skills..

1st std..

The kids learn to write..better..
    number upto 1000. words upto 100. tables are taught from 1,2, 5,10 and then gradually others...i think in second and third standard...they learn simple additions, substraction .

environmental studies covers a little elaborate study of what is taught in ukg..occupation, food, plants,earth in general..

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ramya to continue,

What i have outlined is followed all over reputed schools which stringently follow the guidelines on the syllabus given by cbse.

My daughter did her kg in delhi and this pattern was followed..and my son did is lkg,ukg and 1st in gulf the same system was followed.

coming to chennai, very few schools follow this system.shakehead. but there is a shift towards this system in more schools than before...

i would suggest you to check out the syllabus at cbse website..
    you can even download the books there.

hope this helps....

1 person likes this.
  10. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi shanvy
    Thanx a lot!!I agree with u that not all the schools follow this syllabus..Ive heard that some schools stress so much on the writing part and give lotsa homework everyday..How abt PSBB?Do u have any idea of their curriculum.?Cuz im plannin to enrol my kid in PSbb when we go back to chennai..
    Also can u pls gimme the site which u wrer referring to?

Thanx in advance
    Cheers
    Ramya