What brand of food do you give to your pet? Share here!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Sahana1, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi friends
    There are many brands for pets food like Whiskers,Royal Canine,Drools and etc
    I use Whiskers Tuna Fish for my cats
    What pet food do you use?
    Please share your reviews and comments about the pet food also
    Regards
    Sahana

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi sahana, No replies for your thread so far it seems...anyway here is mine...

About brands of Pet food,I really do not have any positive opinion.I have tried a few like Royal Canine, Pedigree & Drools.Our doggies do not like any dry dog food .We have always given them freshly cooked food ,Basically its Rice, Chicken,Eggs&.They like Chappathis also.Among fruits it is only Banana and
    Veggies only Carrots.They take Marie buiscuits and whole wheat bread sometimes.As they are old now milk is not given to prevent any lactose allergic reaction.
    I'm not in favour of Branded readymade dog food as they will have preservatives which may have its side effects.Several times certain brands have been declared unsuitable and taken off shelves in USA!

1 person likes this.
  3. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @Paulina
    Thank you for your valiable suggestion
    I never knew that there are preservatives in pet food!!
    Thank you so so so so much
    Regards,
    Sahana

4. Paulina

Please go thru this link or you can look up GOOGLE for more details about preservatives that harm dogs.

We have long advised owners to pass over dog food that contains artificial preservatives such as butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), tert-butyl hydroquinone (TBHQ), propyl gallate, and ethoxyquin, in favor of products made with natural preservatives, such as tocopherols (vitamin E), citric ...

[h=3]Problems With Artificial Preservatives in Dog Food - Whole ...[/h]www.whole-dog-journal.com/...5/.../Dog-Food-Preservatives_16221-1.htm...

5. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @Paulina
    Thanks a ton for the useful and informative link
    I will never give my pets foods that will harm them
    Regards,
    Sahana

6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

@ Paulina- great job that you give your dog fresh food.

@Sahana1- I also give fresh food for my furry baby. My vet is so impressed with him every year when we go for his annual visits- from his coat to teeth to weight. He is a very well known Vet in the area and he tell me every visit that how much his diet makes a difference as compared to other dogs.

I make his food in large batch for 3-4 days - brown rice, with two meats (chicken and beef or turkey or pork). We dont eat anything but chicken but dogs need a little more fat so I mix beef or pork with lean meat like chicken or turkey. I also add a lot of veggies. If i have some cooked daal I will add that too.

Pet food brands not just contain preservative but they also are processed and just like processed and pre packaged food are not good for us, it is not good for them either.

He loves all the veggies that dogs are supposed to get. He does not even like dry dog food.

1 person likes this.
  7. Paulina

Hi sahana & sdiva,

While totally excluding dry dog food , we can make a few allowances now and then and give them dog biscuits 3/4 occasionally and also the jerky treats 1/2 per week .This is the same way we humans control our sweet tooth and indulge in sweets once in a while !! An extra scoop of ice cream ...our favourite flavour on Sundays or something like that .But anyway if our doggies can avoid processed dry dog food then you are the winner along with your pet.
    BTW , dear pals why don't you post pictures of your pets in the thread "Join the club....membership Free!" We have a whole bunch of lovable adorable doggies & kitties and birdies there Please visit and send your FBs and pics of your pets.
    @sdiva....you have a perfect menu for your pet...liked it a lot ...congrats on your Vet appreciating too!

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I have two cats and give them normally branded market food (Latz, the jelly thing, kitten version) but try to give 1-2 weeks also pure meat/fish. Cats are carnivores so they should not eat veggies, wheat or such things. I always have a bowl of dry food (a high quality for kittens, bought in a pet store), twice per day I give the "wet" food (either Latz or fish/meat). And of course fresh water is available all the time. But the cats prefer to drink the water from my glass (jump on the table when I turn away) or from the toilet :shock:

9. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @Sdiva20 and @CrayoNess
    You both have planed well for your pets
    My cat is not eating anything expect non-veg,but I am a bramin
    I can see tuna fish,because it is in such a colour,but I can't bear seeing fishes and chickens :-(
    So I have no way
    Regards,
    Sahana