1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Mar 28, 2008.

1. itmom

itmom New IL'ite

Just finished "The last Mrs.Parrish" by Liv Constantine

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Currently reading The Chronicles of Clovis by Saki. A delightful read. Even the introduction by A.A. Milne was a joy to read, line by line, marveling at the timelessness of wry humor, keen observation of human behavior and its witty narration.

Reading Saki is like reading Wodehouse, only we are not re-reading a favorite, parts of which we know by-heart. : )

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Shanvy and Amulet like this.
  3. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

i just completed : 20000 leagues under the sea by jules verne.
    it is a science fiction classic, but, really i had to sit with atlas & google the routes taken by the submarine before i cud make much sense of it. also all the marine biology bits were over my head...:shakehead:...though all the details wrt longitude latitude place descriptions etc were marvelous & one would tend to believe these were actual accounts of voyage & not a fictional one.
    captain nemo was my fav character:grinning:

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet. It's a witty satire in the vein of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Has been on my reading list forever. With a TV show soon to air decided to finish it to avoid being spoiled. So far so good.

kaniths likes this.
  5. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

i just read: the golden compass by philip pullman.
    i had read a lot abt this book but i didnt find it interesting enough.
    anyways, i think i read it when it is already cold in here ( i hate winters) & the story unfolds in Svalbard ( north of NOrway, damn cold I suppose) & descriptions of perpetual night & snow & numbing cold contributed to my growing sense of a grim tale.:tired: it is supposed to be a children fantasy novel, but I think the themes in the story are way above what a teenager could understand.
    the central character Lyra Belacqua is a 11 yr old fiesty girl, & the story has the same old pattern of most of the action / fantasy genre: some innocent kid out to complete a very difficult task & race against time, meeting very helpful people on the way , being attacked by witches and you know whats & finally accomplishing their goal.
    but if i think of myself when i was 11yr old, i wudnt hav been able to accomplish even 10% of what the girl did:facepalm:

6. Gauri03

Posting here in case there is someone looking for a reading list for this year.

Last year I read War and Peace as part of an online community and it was a great success. This year I have joined another reading group -- The Hemingway List

The plan is to read through the 16 essential works of literature recommended by Ernest Hemingway in a list he compiled for an aspiring writer, Arnold Samuelson. These were his instructions to the young Samuelson,

"Here’s a list of books any writer should have read as a part of his education… If you haven’t read these, you just aren’t educated. They represent different types of writing. Some may bore you, others might inspire you and others are so beautifully written they’ll make you feel it’s hopeless for you to try to write."

hemingway_readinglist.jpg

I've read some of the books on the list already and hoping to read the rest this year. Reading Stephen Crane, The Open Boat right now.

kaniths, gorgeous23 and Laks09 like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 - Are you done with Brothers Karamazoff? I was thinking of getting in on that subreddit too but I have other books to read lined up. Next year! Thank you for mentioning the W&P subreddit. It's great. You should peek in it for a new twist by one of the redditors!

8. Gauri03

I read The Brothers Karamazov close to two decades ago but I really want to read the new P&V translation. I've bought the book but I will wait to read it with the subreddit. I loved W&P so much! Have fun with it! I'd read it again if I could but I have too many books to read, and too little time. I'm planning to watch the BBC adaptation though.

kaniths and Laks09 like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Keep us psoted on that subreddit. I want to give it a shot if I have the time. Btw, thanks for the tip on the P&V edition of W&P. I ended up getting a free Maude one too. I read both and the P&V is my favorite. It's such a difference from the Maude. I would have missed out on a lot, thank you!

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

that is an interesting list & i have downloaded the same. thanks :blush:
    i have read anna karenina and wuthering heights.
    i have been wanting to read war & peace but somehow its size put me off:tongueclosed:

Gauri03 likes this.